What's new

Your Least Common Opinion?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I know this will get a lot of hate but...
Raptor>Banshee>Afterburn
I only got one ride on afterburn, and it was in the middle cause of my stupid sister, and I just didn't find it as intense as Banshee or Raptor. It was also pretty rattly.
I don’t think that will get any hate. Raptor and Banshee both have legions of devotees. Heck, Andy from coaster-net has Raptor as his number one coaster, for some crazy reason.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Saw is the best ride at Thorpe Park.

How many times have you ridden it? as I used to love it but as I've went back over the years it just hasn't held up

I know this will get a lot of hate but...
Raptor>Banshee>Afterburn
I only got one ride on afterburn, and it was in the middle cause of my stupid sister, and I just didn't find it as intense as Banshee or Raptor. It was also pretty rattly.

I found raptor rattled quite a bit whereas Banshee was really smooth, but generally all B&M inverts are good

And for a least common opinion

Wickerman is the best coaster in the UK

Snoo

The Legend
I don’t think that will get any hate. Raptor and Banshee both have legions of devotees. Heck, Andy from coaster-net has Raptor as his number one coaster, for some crazy reason.

You'll find Banshee supporters but not so much Raptor. Afterburn and Banshee are my two favorite inverts and it's not really close. While Raptor is still quality, it's not in the same league as those above it.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
You'll find Banshee supporters but not so much Raptor. Afterburn and Banshee are my two favorite inverts and it's not really close. While Raptor is still quality, it's not in the same league as those above it.
I’m not talking about which one I think is better — just which ones have a following, and Raptor definitely has a little cult of followers. Next time you’re at CP, look for people decked out in Raptor apparel, even in 2018.

mouse

Giga Poster
How many times have you ridden it? as I used to love it but as I've went back over the years it just hasn't held up
Last rode it around 2 years ago, so may well go down in my rankings on the next ride! The coaster itself is good fun with a nice varied layout, and I haven't been too bothered by the Gerstlauer rattle people complain about. I find it better than Thorpe's other offerings as an overall package; it has the strongest and best-executed theming, partciularly within the warehouse.

Snoo

The Legend
I’m not talking about which one I think is better — just which ones have a following, and Raptor definitely has a little cult of followers. Next time you’re at CP, look for people decked out in Raptor apparel, even in 2018.

Ooo no. I'm well aware of the CP fandom as well as general fascination with certain rides in general. I am from Ohio after all. I was speaking moreso regarding the non-fanboy sites, CF specifically. The love for Raptor around here is few and far between.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Ooo no. I'm well aware of the CP fandom as well as general fascination with certain rides in general. I am from Ohio after all. I was speaking moreso regarding the non-fanboy sites, CF specifically. The love for Raptor around here is few and far between.
Okay — gotcha.

IntaminFanboy

Roller Poster
I might literally be the only person who would say this, but, Top Thrill Dragster, Stealth, and Kingda Ka are so lame that they shouldn't be considered rollercoasters. Even though they were manufactured by literally the best rollercoaster manufacturers (to me), it looks like they gave a piece of paper and pencil to a toddler and said "draw a rollercoaster design." I don't consider any of them to be real rollercoasters, because when I hear the word "rollercoaster" I think of many inversions, twists, turns and so fourth. I do believe that all of them bring great thrill and have a lot of fans, which is fine, but I still wouldn't categorize any of them to be real rollercoasters. Again, I am probably the only one who thinks and feels this way, which is fine, but that's just how I feel. I do believe rollercoasters should definitely have different designs and all of that, makes them unique, but if you take a look at the footage of each one of them and compare them to other rollercoaster designs, it doesn't really appear as if they should really even be considered coasters. Now I know a lot may oppose, which is fine, but these are just my views.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I might literally be the only person who would say this, but, Top Thrill Dragster, Stealth, and Kingda Ka are so lame that they shouldn't be considered rollercoasters. Even though they were manufactured by literally the best rollercoaster manufacturers (to me), it looks like they gave a piece of paper and pencil to a toddler and said "draw a rollercoaster design." I don't consider any of them to be real rollercoasters, because when I hear the word "rollercoaster" I think of many inversions, twists, turns and so fourth. I do believe that all of them bring great thrill and have a lot of fans, which is fine, but I still wouldn't categorize any of them to be real rollercoasters. Again, I am probably the only one who thinks and feels this way, which is fine, but that's just how I feel. I do believe rollercoasters should definitely have different designs and all of that, makes them unique, but if you take a look at the footage of each one of them and compare them to other rollercoaster designs, it doesn't really appear as if they should really even be considered coasters. Now I know a lot may oppose, which is fine, but these are just my views.
I mean... have you ridden them? 0-120+ is probably not "lame". ;)

For all intensive purposes, a "roller coaster" is defined as being driven by gravity, and having at least one "roller coaster" element (an airtime hill, launch, inversion, etc.). No, Intamin Accelerators are not the longest, but they come from an era when tallest, fastest was the absolute judge of roller coaster, and peak Roller Coaster Wars.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
At least for this part, I was agreeing.
Top Thrill Dragster, Stealth, and Kingda Ka are so lame.
And yes, I've been on them, more than once, and on more than one visit\seasson. None of them really do anything for me and I'm not hating on them to be cool or edgy. (I love Storm Runner, and really like Xcelerator) but just going up and down one hill? Meh... Ka is also, always down when I'm at Great Adventure. I rode it a bunch between 06 and 09. I went three times in 05 and failed to catch it open..... And the three times I've visited since moving from the north east, it's been closed. TTD has also been down my last few visits, although it was open the very last time I visited. (And I only rode it because I was with friends would wanted to and we did it at park opening so it was only 10-15 minutes wait.)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
It's actually very common for enthusiasts to downplay TTD and KK as GP fodder -- all novelty, no real greatness, etc. But not considered roller coasters at all? No, you're probably on your own there.

Peet

Giga Poster
Formula Rossa teaches us that going at very high speed for too long becomes uncomfortable and you end up just clinging on and waiting for it to be over - so that you can go round and experience that incredible launch again! Sometimes more is less - I actually enjoy Red Force more than Formula Rossa.

IntaminFanboy

Roller Poster
Even though I've never ridden any of them, I spend quite a bit of time watching POVs as well as off ride videos. I also take into account these elements needed to make a real rollercoaster. I mean I'm not trying to say that they shouldn't be a rollercoaster at all, but taking into consideration all these inversions, barrel rolls, ect I just wouldn't really consider them to be one. Maybe a thrill ride, but in opinionated terms, I wouldn't go as far as rollercoaster. Now everybody has their own views and opinions, so. But this was more of an opinionated view than anything. Also for anyone wondering, I'm not bashing them for being labelled as rollercoasters, I'm just trying to say that because of how lame they appear as, even if they do go fast and all that, I wouldn't personally stamp a rollercoaster label to them. Although I'm still very new to this rollercoaster stuff and I still have a lot to learn, so my views may be silly at this point.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Yeah I kind of get this. They're perhaps more flat rides than coasters.

Having said that, Stealth is an absolutely brilliant coaster ;)

Hutch

Strata Poster
Welcome to CoasterForce @IntaminFanboy.

Out of curiosity, would you classify this as a roller coaster?

ThGULV4.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Even though I've never ridden any of them, I spend quite a bit of time watching POVs as well as off ride videos. I also take into account these elements needed to make a real rollercoaster. I mean I'm not trying to say that they shouldn't be a rollercoaster at all, but taking into consideration all these inversions, barrel rolls, ect I just wouldn't really consider them to be one. Maybe a thrill ride, but in opinionated terms, I wouldn't go as far as rollercoaster. Now everybody has their own views and opinions, so. But this was more of an opinionated view than anything. Also for anyone wondering, I'm not bashing them for being labelled as rollercoasters, I'm just trying to say that because of how lame they appear as, even if they do go fast and all that, I wouldn't personally stamp a rollercoaster label to them. Although I'm still very new to this rollercoaster stuff and I still have a lot to learn, so my views may be silly at this point.
It was actually a partly real debate in the early 2000s - what of launched roller coasters was considered a "roller coaster". Cedar Point, when opening TTD, claimed it was the first roller coaster to break 400 ft., and given CP the most roller coaster record count. SFMM however had already built Superman: Escape from Krypton at 415 ft. Cedar Point argued that since Superman was only a launch and straight vertical track, without turns or other elements, it was not a roller coaster. Granted, Cedar Point had built Wicked Twister the year before, an Intamin Impulse, however qualified that since Wicked Twisted as turns in its drop, it was a roller coaster. The debate went on between the parks, and in general spurred a lot of coaster enthusiasts to agree to general principles on what makes a roller coaster (non-powered, features elements, etc.). That's why I was wanting to clarify. :)

Snoo

The Legend
See.. that's not how defining a coaster works. You can debate alpine rides, log flumes, things of that nature.. but launched coasters, even plain ones, are still roller coasters to the fullest degree. That isn't even a debate really.

IntaminFanboy

Roller Poster
See.. that's not how defining a coaster works. You can debate alpine rides, log flumes, things of that nature.. but launched coasters, even plain ones, are still roller coasters to the fullest degree. That isn't even a debate really.

Yes but as I said, this was more of an opinionated view than anything. Not trying to say that they definitely weren't rollercoasters, was just stating an opinion.

Snoo

The Legend
Yes but as I said, this was more of an opinionated view than anything. Not trying to say that they definitely weren't rollercoasters, was just stating an opinion.

There is a difference between an opinion that is off the beaten path or a bit different then most and an opinion that goes against fact and I'm going to call it when that is the case. The Earth isn't flat and those rides are rollercoasters.

Opinions are fine to have and enjoy yourself for having said opinions but I'm still gonna call you on it. You can like it or not but that is just too ludicrous not to make my feelings known quite frankly.

FYI: Welcome to Coasterforce. :)