What's new

Xishuangbanna PTR - Part 1: Sunac World

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I’ve had this place on my radar for ages, but never managed to make it work before now. It’s pretty out of the way, close to the borders with Myanmar and Laos, with no direct flight options from around here.

c7z4YOS.jpg

There are plenty of flights from Kunming though, which is a MUCH more major city. I’d always planned to tie the two in together, but caved and did Kunming as a weekend trip by itself a while ago, not having time for Xishuangbanna as well. Regular weekends just don’t work from here because of flight times, and even a long weekend would be a bit rushed if I wanted to actually see anything of the area. Prices have always been ridiculous as well.

Anyway, everything finally lined up last weekend. I could finish work early on Thursday, being able to make a 5pm flight, then had Friday off, meaning that I had all day Friday and Saturday there before flying back on Sunday morning. No idea how it happened, but I managed to bag a flight for around 130 quid return (they’d been running between 400 – 700 when I’d looked at other times).

I got there quite late on the Thursday night, checked into my “International” hotel which was nothing of the kind (still very decent rooms, but VERY local), and headed straight out to the park the following morning.

Xishuangbanna Sunac Land

This used to be a Wanda Park, but they sold their theme park division to Sunac a while ago, so most of them have now been renamed. Nothing has really changed other than that, though I can’t see new parks being thrown up at the same rate anymore.

VmbesmB.jpg

tqsyrWs.jpg

M49HMiJ.jpg

wPWLvrK.jpg

fNbvEqO.jpg

Despite being a public holiday, the place was dead (the whole of Xishuanbanna was ridiculously quiet – theories later…), but everything was open.

pBDD637.jpg

2tdVqfs.jpg

Sq5w8vG.jpg

I went straight for the B&M, Harpy, half expecting it to not be open so early in the day - I was in the park by 10am – but it was. There was no sitting and waiting around either; they sent it straight off with just me on it. Have a bunch of repetitive pictures with no trains going around:

bHCdM6M.jpg

6EoA0FN.jpg

y7Rjz5l.jpg

rNYNXk6.jpg

71EaLt0.jpg

lIJjNSx.jpg

I liked this. With this one, I’ve now done every B&M flyer (who wants to touch me?), and it sits fairly comfortably in the middle. It’s better than the Superman clones in that it seems to do a bit more and be an overall much more pleasant experience, but isn’t as unique or large-scale as the ones that sit at the top of my list (Flying Dinosaur, Tatsu, Sky Ripper…)

y8zYMnL.jpg

TT64QKX.jpg

J8z7w2m.jpg

GNt5eU6.jpg

H21TliB.jpg

I walked past this at first, and then forgot about and didn’t do it later. Oh well, it was probably s**t.

RCP6joo.jpg

Hydro Racer was a new coaster type for me. I’d done that thing that they used to have at Holiday World, which had the same lift, but was basically just a water chute after that.

PhwWvKl.jpg

m6pEK3a.jpg

9KONPBv.jpg

wsByreA.jpg

7sSwqKG.jpg

Again, I was the only person there, but they sent me off by myself with no faff.

bo4KNzz.jpg

CmxUqoK.jpg

pM8c66g.jpg

Meh. The elevator lift is a bit freaky I guess, but the rest of it was a bit s**t. I don’t know how the others work (and can’t be arsed to get on YouTube to check), but there’s no splashdown at all after the first drop; it just skims across the top of the water and into the coaster section. There is a splashdown after that, before it gets back to the station, but it was minimal. The boat was, admittedly, empty though, so it might have more of a splash if there are more people in it. Anyway, I prefer the Mack water coasters to this.

i5A3l4v.jpg

MixmgFT.jpg

Did the rapids. Look: another person!

76LxQyo.jpg

41g2ppW.jpg

The final coaster was a Zamperla Motocoaster thing with horse theming. I think it was pretty much a clone of Pony Express at Knott’s, but I can’t be f**ked to check.

PgGbA03.jpg

GwtVXAh.jpg

Gm2zAmm.jpg

Some other general stuff. There were a couple of shows that I didn’t see. One I missed as I was at the other end of the park, but could kind of hear from across the lake and sounded like some “cultural” thing, and the other seemed to be a fairly major ice skating thing, but it wasn’t on until hours later (and it seemed to be an upcharge). I did the awful inverting thing (Zamperla?) for something to do and since I hadn’t done one for years, and the shot tower as well. No idea who made that, but it felt very S&S at least.

twN6s7o.jpg

CAnj7SW.jpg

Hz9Olki.jpg

cW4HwoW.jpg

iAncbVN.jpg

aXTgiTC.jpg

RI7YoJu.jpg

6NCGLBc.jpg

There were a couple of small groups in the park by now, so I stuck around to get these amazing action shots of the coasters and decided to call it a day after getting another ride in each on the two bigger ones, leaving at around half twelve I guess.

4NyGRiw.jpg

hv3E0l7.jpg

vlhO3ta.jpg

QontWWf.jpg

2TnjFc9.jpg

wqWcX2N.jpg

nHNAFOw.jpg

The park then. I really liked it. Obviously, it was empty, so it lacked a lot of atmosphere, but it was a really pleasant place to be. It’s all very green and lush and feels very tropical, which obviously it is thanks to the location.

Operations were great. I’ve got no idea how things work if it’s busy, but I was pleased that they had everything open and had no issues running stuff with just me, and without making me sit there for ages waiting for non-existent other people. Staff were very smiley and friendly, which you rarely get in Chinese parks, with ride ops trying to call me over to ride their stuff, no doubt because they were just bored.

The ride selection was decent if not very big. There’s also a huge water park next door, and while the entrance area was still very quiet as I was leaving, the few people who were around seemed to be heading in there.

Park-wise, that’s it for this weekend, but I did some general sightseeing s**t that afternoon and on the next day, so I’ll chuck that in later.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Good job on finally getting out there. I've had it on the radar forever as well but after doing Superman layouts and only vaguely knowing that this was almost the same layout, I couldn't be bothered as much. Glad to hear the ride is actually better.
The friendly staff calling you over thing seems to be a Wanda taught thing from my experience, had the same most notably in Nanchang with it being completely dead, the staff being bored and actually wanting to interact with humans. Most other places make you feel like an annoyance for making them do work.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Since I don’t like leaving things unfinished, and since I’m sitting around at work with nothing to do, here’s the rest of the weekend.

I was done at the Sunac park fairly early, so got a taxi over to some botanical garden sort of place. It was nice.

B6PREIM.jpg

Y05N1cw.jpg

v8VcejV.jpg

0SsTTFx.jpg

DpE9Lih.jpg

From there I walked back to the hotel area so I could see a bit of the place. I popped into some zoo on the way past to see if there were any surprise creds. There weren’t.

JiQ1CVv.jpg

1QLT71i.jpg

RgvtVwE.jpg

JlbtF59.jpg

LDxxwn0.jpg

The city itself is really nice though. There are a couple of areas with the typical huge Chinese buildings/squares etc., but the overall atmosphere is pretty laid back and feels a bit more Thai/Burmese/Laotian than Chinese.

4MAze93.jpg

kVi1z9c.jpg

cbpPkZG.jpg

3fnqyPo.jpg

There was a big public square to the side of the hotel, which turns into a giant fountain. I didn’t realise this and was 2-minutes away from being stuck right in the middle of it when it all kicked off.

NU4Kg7n.jpg

BF1aECy.jpg

SRN3SzQ.jpg

m0tpZiA.jpg

U2NlIaj.jpg

I love that China just does mad s**t like this. The whole area was fab, just people hanging out, kids playing in the water or racing around on little electric vehicles you could hire.

bUUhE40.jpg

7DGbtHA.jpg

fQxkRUW.jpg

YCHTxbF.jpg

whQSG6f.jpg

I had a full day left the next day, so started by walking around 10 minutes to what looked like a nearby city park, Manting Park, expecting the usual Chinese city park, which are usually really nice anyway, but getting something quite different.

The botanical garden from the day before was sort of listed as a must-do in the area, and it had been lovely, but this place was sooooooooooo much better.

sUiWkjO.jpg

jZo8qXb.jpg

jGXaLRc.jpg

an4BxJr.jpg

AEePHBR.jpg

Ps8F4vn.jpg

IqfIrNr.jpg

elquOHT.jpg

NjDxpWp.jpg

KkPPyCt.jpg

KWgwuEt.jpg

zwdi0kf.jpg

8uCj2oa.jpg

7RNG4zh.jpg

kKEhMWL.jpg

Pfz0MYi.jpg

FtmgVFG.jpg

MryYei9.jpg

eA5N9VH.jpg

DHCFEUc.jpg

1O2erFT.jpg

This was also the Sunday of a holiday weekend, but it was really quiet. The whole area is a really popular domestic tourism area, but it was dead for the whole weekend. I’m guessing it’s because of what the holiday actually was. It was the Dragon Boat Festival, and this area doesn’t do any dragon boat related s**t, so tourists who want to see that crap would go elsewhere (Hong Kong is always VILE for that holiday). Anyway, no complaints.

There was a temple outside another entrance to the park, but the whole thing was very “Thai” as opposed to the usual Chinese style.

5NTFo4F.jpg

2XSaUUD.jpg

h3WuK64.jpg

XPPaq4X.jpg

xNAcZR8.jpg

XJ8U2rN.jpg

4H9Vy0s.jpg

bazPNer.jpg

qvOWraf.jpg

omtjdnl.jpg

One of the main draws of the area is Wild Elephant Valley, which I’d originally planned on not doing, expecting it to be ridiculously busy because of the holiday, but since everywhere else was dead, I headed up.

Yunnan Province is the only place in China to have wild elephants, and there are supposed to be around 70 in this valley area. I didn’t see any, but I wasn’t that bothered since the whole area is gorgeous anyway. I took a cable car one way, which ends at a viewing area where the elephants often appear, then walked back from there.

fdIm4Xc.jpg

t2ClNaf.jpg

HQwO3z0.jpg

nqqH8dA.jpg

0vRQnqi.jpg

4gIR46V.jpg

Again, the place was very quiet. I hung around at the main viewing area for a while – they’ve artificially widened part of the river to create a bathing pool for the elephants – but nothing showed up. Well, a few monkeys, and they were different from the usual macaques we get around this area.

S3XydEp.jpg

lnbskb5.jpg

RMv0RPW.jpg

4XwB8zK.jpg

EPcH2QP.jpg

v9m3epl.jpg

Lies:

jdshu3J.jpg

The walk back was lovely anyway. They’ve constructed a wooden walkway (must be about 3km) through the jungle, with widened rest stop/food/drinks areas, without doing the usual Chinese thing of covering it with flashing lights and noise.

eIB4gGU.jpg

LMdGlEc.jpg

sNX8X1q.jpg

3NGDuDI.jpg

YvdHtKH.jpg

And I saw a gibbon, so that was a first. It was hard to get decent pictures because the sun was really bright behind it, and it looks half-dead because it was sleeping/dozing.

Nj5wCZa.jpg

ckRcwjG.jpg

YMJ4IXd.jpg

fcR3snw.jpg

wiBeWVg.jpg

Seen these things everywhere, but still:

lmrVDNx.jpg

Near the entrance, there a butterfly house, which was nice, and an elephant show, which was disappointing to see. They’ve gone to an amazing effort to show off this huge natural habitat, with a good chance of seeing wild elephants, and then shoved elephant rides and a show in there as well, no doubt to placate the locals who expect this kind of s**t. Oh well.

PgyKqWP.jpg

HQjZCN9.jpg

1DQpCPO.jpg

So, Xishuangbanna. Loved it.

The theme park isn’t really worth a huge effort, but the area itself is lovely, so it was definitely worthwhile finally making it work. It’s not far from Kunming, so anyone who’s there for a coaster trip (Colourful Yunnan Paradise is great) could easily take a quick detour down for the park if they had a day spare, but it’s definitely worth taking an extra day on top of that to see more stuff around the area.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
The final coaster was a Zamperla Motocoaster thing with horse theming. I think it was pretty much a clone of Pony Express at Knott’s, but I can’t be f**ked to check.

Actually, Storm Rider is a near clone of Pony Express at Knott's Berry Farm, minus the finale. Whereas Pony Express does a turn into the brakes, Storm Rider negotiates a 540 degree helix as its finale.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That final section looks excellent. Really digging all of the colours with the temples/shrines etc buried in the big trees - beautiful!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
So how did you get to the park, was there a bus or did you have to get a cab?
I took a taxi. Well, DiDi (Chinese Uber). No idea about buses. Taxis are cheap enough in China that I never bother even looking into buses.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk