What's new

Xiamen Weekend - Part 1: Oriental Heritage and Dreamland

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A bit of a disclaimer in case this whole thing f**ks up. Since Photobucket are on the verge of going all-out c**t, I’m switching to Imgur for the images. I tried using it before and it was f**king up the pages, at least on my computer, but I’m going to give it another go anyway. I think it could've been something to do with picture size, so I've reduced them this time.

A couple of weeks ago, I headed to Xiamen for the weekend. I’d been before and done it properly, but needed a plane ticket to get a new Chinese tourist visa, so bought the cheapest one thinking I might just ditch it anyway. There’s a new Oriental Heritage there since my last visit though, so I decided to use the ticket and just go.

I arrived on a Friday night, just went straight to the hotel, then got a taxi the next morning to the Fantawild Resort. This looked very familiar:

AHyLqrg.jpg

But this view had changed since the new park opened:

QSSj8lS.jpg

There was still a coaster I needed from the older park, so I got a 2-park ticket (only a couple of quid more than a single park), thinking I’d pop in later if I still had time. First, I went to the newer park.

xHqCgpw.jpg

Be8FVrA.jpg

Unsurprisingly, what with it being Fantawild, it all looked quite familiar. I bypassed a lot of stuff at first to head to the coasters right at the back of the park.

ATQaYVV.jpg

tdiOVHt.jpg

vchSw1d.jpg

YXG6O9j.jpg

Behold:

Y24aVgX.jpg

aUfYFCy.jpg

The park was dead, especially right after opening, so I walked straight up to the station, only to be met by a handful of other guests coming back down the steps as some engineers arrived. Bollocks.

1bO92VQ.jpg

vCRFAUu.jpg

Instead, I continued around to the second coaster, Galaxy Express, a Vekoma SFC (Orkanen clone) with a name that doesn’t match it at all.

AWucEbQ.jpg

f5euP5I.jpg

5fnRDiV.jpg

It looked closed, but that’s just because the park was dead. I was the only person there, waiting in the station for about 10-minutes until a couple of other people showed up and they ran it.

UF0jMZp.jpg

DTU1n55.jpg

JKqYIen.jpg

I quite like these though. It’s the second one I’ve done of this model, and they’re way better than the crappy standard version.

5JVUUeK.jpg

There were a couple of copy/paste dark rides between Galaxy Express and Jungle Trailblazer, so I knocked those off. Tune Tour is Fantawild’s version of It’s a Small World, only based mostly in China.

LlyfhXk.jpg

It’s f**king awful. Fantawild do amazing screen work, but they can’t do animatronics for s**t.

Pear Tour is kind of fab, but kind of s**t as well. I was impressed by the scale of it before, but I’m sick of it now. I think this was the fourth one I’ve done.

EetYRk2.jpg

It uses four huge ride vehicles, basically like those things at Epcot’s Energy Adventure, which travel through an old Chinese “town”. In the windows (screens) of the houses, there’s a bunch of different styles of Chinese music being performed.

3SpTqSk.jpg

It all sounds the same to me to be honest. One thing that Fanatwild doesn’t do very well is to sync sound with image, at least with live images. It’s fine with the animated stuff, but whenever they film live actors, it’s clear that the sound is recorded separately and it’s all a bit off.

iRdV4xd.jpg

It might just be because I’m sick of these f**king places now, so I’m starting to get a bit more critical and pick more faults with the place. It ends with all four vehicles meeting up on a revolving platform – horrible pacing while you wait for them all to catch up – with a 360 degree 3D film.

y3XxToy.jpg

This just houses a huge 3D cinema, with a film on the history of China. As you can imagine, squeezing 5,000 years of history into a ten-minute film is hardly a comprehensive representation, but since it’s all in Chinese, the shorter the better really.

8xwOqH3.jpg

The best part of the film is the animal cruelty, elephants and horses getting killed with arrows.

p558tZf.jpg

Back to Jungle Trailblazer then.

N8KaUaH.jpg

foc56o1.jpg

It had been about an hour since I’d first been to it, and it still wasn’t looking good. It was, however, open. Yay!

QoypNCy.jpg

This is the first time I’ve been at a newer Fantawild park that’s been so dead. In the past, the woodies at the others have had queues of at least half an hour (really what should be a 10-minute line, but Fantawild are c**ts), so walking on was quite novel.

hozqFt6.jpg

KixnSie.jpg

I did back row first, then an immediate reride at the front. I didn’t love it to be honest. The first half was great, but then it just died in the second half. It wasn’t the smoothest either. Out of the four Jungle Trailblazers I’ve done, I’d probably stick it in joint 3rd/4th with the one in Zhuzhou.

7EdhHKn.jpg

6oJjZee.jpg

LpNqueo.jpg

I think part of the problem is that it was definitely running “cold”. The park was dead, so they were only sending the train out at 10-15 minute intervals, often even longer since there were times with literally nobody waiting. Although operations on the coasters are crap at all of their parks, the trains are still getting sent out fairly consistently, so by the end of the day, they’ve definitely warmed up a bit.

AqtyYW5.jpg

Ng4a6uj.jpg

dAG7gcQ.jpg

I went back over for a reride on the SFC, having to wait ten minutes again since I’d just missed a few other riders.

c537evE.jpg

vLVuOYr.jpg

I wasn’t sure if I’d done this before:

FyuwvbZ.jpg

w5tKGiR.jpg

NQHgFCF.jpg

Yep, I had, in about 3 different iterations now. The preshow involved looking at stars/constellations.

HG3a3xN.jpg

The main show is a revolving platform, with various screens/animatronics around the outside.

qGV9hF6.jpg

The seat all tilt back, and the whole thing moves up into a huge dome/projection thing. Kind of impressive, but overly long really.

Legend of Nuwa is one of my favourite Fantawild rides. It’s the third version of their 4D dark ride.

PQKkNDc.jpg

1ksF3GU.jpg

I’ve skipped the last couple of tower rides thanks to the s**ty throughput, but since it was dead, I roe it this time.

pd7rneM.jpg

OaBXwC1.jpg

OlpIkXm.jpg

It was “walk-on”, but incredibly annoying as they kept releasing the restraints to let more people on, ather than just make them wait. This happened 5 f**king times, so the walk-on ride took about 20 minutes to get done.

It not bad really. It’s well-themed inside and runs a dual shot/drop mode. The shot is weak, but the drop is decent. The shutters at the top of the pagoda open as you reach the top, then slam shut as you drop.

YN4uqPV.jpg

I the dark rides near the entrance – Devil’s Peak (the “Forbidden Journey” style ride) and Rumble Under the Sea (another 4D dark ride but with large vehicles that don’t move as much) on the way out, and headed next door to the older park. I’ve reported on this place before, but going to shove a bit more in here.

IziIJkw.jpg

This tower is the entrance to the water park that sits between Oriental Heritage and Dreamland and can also be accessed via both.

z5XdlL8.jpg

Dreamland was even quieter than Oriental Heritage.

TUybXGQ.jpg

I’d done this park before, about three years ago when it was only a year old, and loved it, but this time it all felt really off.

I didn’t bother with this combo again – a flying theatre and a simulator – since I’m sick of the f**king sight of them.

rcqazOB.jpg

I think part of the reason I loved this place last time is because it was the first time I’d seen two of their massive dark rides, the first one being Wizards Academy, the 2nd iteration of their huge 4D dark ride system.

7jHkmba.jpg

PNfuxxm.jpg

wK7U9X4.jpg

JL4C5P1.jpg

DtN1Pla.jpg

I’ve done it in a number of parks now, but still love it.

dPR1rN7.jpg

R10yJfI.jpg

I would’ve happily skipped the mine train, but like everything else on that day, it was walk-on.

bnNrGXG.jpg

rq6PEs4.jpg

rq6PEs4.jpg

Escape from Dino Island, despite appearances, was running. These things are ridiculous, but get you soaked and I wasn’t in the mood.

icho9bC.jpg

rnIWnxh.jpg

ozkMMQD.jpg

The other huge, new-on-my-first-visit dark ride was Qin Dynasty Adventure, Fantawild’s take on the “Indiana Jones” ride system.

DYQSSzS.jpg

dyAMKYQ.jpg

People are riding something!

wDxy3G2.jpg

I had the boomerang already, but the sky loop had been closed last time. At the time, all of them had been closed down by the government because one of them (Happy Valley Wuhan?) was found to have a fault.

3VqEVuk.jpg

Bastard thing was closed on that day as well. Apparently, it’s “operating”, but it really didn’t look like it to me.

g50QZGT.jpg

Didn’t do this this time. Seen it too many times before. It’s one of those with live actors behind an invisible screen that gets projected onto. Definitely worth a watch usually.

RRrKZzO.jpg

Skipped this. Hate it.

XjzIsW9.jpg

Did this – Jinshan Temple Showdown – a massive boat ride followed by live/projection/water show, but it felt really weird being one of only 5 people on it when it normally runs with around 100.

BsXdw2w.jpg

I called it a day then. It was all a bit of a weird day really. Obviously, having everything as walk-on is great, especially at a place like Fantawild where operations are shocking. Well, on their coasters and flats anyway – the large capacity stuff is fine. There was just no atmosphere at all across either park, but especially Dreamland.

I would say it’s worrying to see it so dead on a Saturday, but it was the first weekend in September (September 2nd), so it’s not that surprising really.

Getting back into the city was a piss take. Police were pulling all taxis over and checking IDs of all passengers. I only had my Hong Kong ID on me (who carries around a passport?) which seemed to really f**king confuse them despite it being in Chinese and having all my details, including a picture, on it, so the whole thing took around 45 minutes while the teenage police officers s*t themselves over what they were supposed to do.

They ended up calling the hotel to verify the passport number I gave them since hotels have to keep passport copies of everyone who checks in. Urgh. The taxi driver didn’t even turn the meter off either, the f**ker. Anyway, it was all fine. I’d left the parks early anyway, so it’s not like I got back too late.

Some crappy +1s in the next bit.

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
In the past, the woodies at the others have had queues of at least half an hour (really what should be a 10-minute line, but Fantawild are c**ts), so walking on was quite novel.
Or even when it should be walk on, you can sit in the cattlepen for half an hour while they touch up the paint on a fence around you.

Shame you didn't love this iteration. Had it in my head as looking like one of the better ones, but how they look and how they ride can be very different.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There's probably still some of the wanderlust talking, but these Chinese parks really intrigue me. I love how grand they look, and they seem to have some decent rides to back it up.

I feel like I'm getting ever closer, but at the moment I still see China as "one day..." (although I do know this is entirely my doing).

Edward M

Strata Poster
I must admit, I'm quite sad to hear that Xiamen's is one of the worse Jungle Trailblazer. I thought it looked like the best of all of them. Well, it was also the least likely that I could get to, so at least I don't have to worry about getting to Xiamen! Fantastic report as usual. The Fantawild parks intrigue me so much; their dark rides all look like knock offs. However, they look like extremely high quality knock offs. Hope to visit one one day!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Enjoyable report as always! Both Jungle Trailblazer and Galaxy Express look very well integrated into their surroundings :D The emply atmosphere feels kinda weird though

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I forgot I hadn’t added the second epic day to this report.

There were a couple of +1s that have obviously been around Xiamen for a while, but have popped up on RCDB since my last visit. The first one was, supposedly, at Zhongshan Park, which wasn’t far from the hotel. I was going to just walk it, but thought I’d give those shared bike things a go.

I think Mobike have popped up in the UK now, and they’re the most common in China from what I’ve seen, but I stupidly couldn’t register with a Hong Kong phone number. Instead, I used Ofo, the next most popular who are easier to sign up with. The main difference is that Ofo doesn’t show where free bikes are through GPS, but in city-centre China that’s irrelevant since they’re everywhere anyway.

Anyway, I’m a convert. The bikes themselves are crap – they’re awful on even a slight uphill and you can’t pick up any decent speed on them – but for a quick hop between nearby stuff, it’s a great system and costs bugger all.

Oh, sorry, creds.

Zhongshan Park

The area where the rides were supposed to be was all blocked off and has been gutted. Spite.

Huli Park

This place wasn’t particularly close, but I had loads of time and was actually enjoying the bike ride, so continued using those. It seems like a really big park, but I luckily ended up right in the small rides area.

soACwRm.jpg

48LinGB.jpg

v1dMs9Y.jpg

Yay!

Hpdt4w8.jpg

Ps2dDkM.jpg

Onto the next place then, which I thought could be a problem since it doesn’t show up on Google.

Kuki Land

I worked out that this place was near a fairly big hotel, so headed towards that. The whole area was weird, just some residential area out towards the airport. The park was part of this larger complex.

MpUeIW5.jpg

bVUzQcN.jpg

oq8wWEY.jpg

It was totally deserted, with a couple of open, but empty, cafes, and lots of vacant shops. It was very hard to tell if it was all very new and just hadn’t taken off, or it was a bit older and was on its way out.

wEi6GlB.jpg

Ksx5Cd0.jpg

This is what I was looking for:

Qq8Lpps.jpg

It was glorious. Behold these previously unseen pictures:

SWhsYaV.jpg

9DlOYrO.jpg

5QNVs0Q.jpg

CFLkd2Q.jpg

5H9Kn50.jpg

t3WNdd4.jpg

Then I went to the airport.

The end.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Anyway, I’m a convert. The bikes themselves are crap – they’re awful on even a slight uphill and you can’t pick up any decent speed on them – but for a quick hop between nearby stuff, it’s a great system and costs bugger all.
They've introduced these in Bristol too (YoBike) - they're absolutely brilliant!

Sounds like a good little adventure round the city, to be honest! Some bonus points for an RCDB submission. :p

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
So you can't just walk up and take one of those 'free bikes' they have outside stations in China? I was tempted to, more than once.

That spinner seals the deal on Xiamen happening.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
So you can't just walk up and take one of those 'free bikes' they have outside stations in China? I was tempted to, more than once.

That spinner seals the deal on Xiamen happening.
No, you have to download an app and register. Mobike wouldn't accept a Hong Kong phone number since they're not operating in Hong Kong (I'll set up with them from a UK number later), but Ofo didn't have any restrictions.

You also have to leave a deposit (about £20 which you can claim back at any time) via whatever payment method works for you, and add some credit to the account. Most locals would use Alipay or Wechat I guess, but any credit card is fine.

The bikes are all locked, but you scan a QR code on the bike and the phone will either unlock it via Bluetooth, or, for some older bikes, send you the unlock code.

When you're done, just leave the bike anywhere, lock it, and tell the app you're done. It will take payment out of your top up balance. With Ofo, it's 10p per hour (I think Mobike is the same per half hour), but for some reason I kept getting free rides. I think it's because I was exiting the app (it's supposed to run in the background) and had to open it again to "stop" my ride, so it was only registering a couple of minutes. Not sure really.

For all its faults, China is very well set up for cyclists and pedestrians. You're not going to stop people leaving their cars in the cycle lanes, but the infrastructure is at least, on paper, set up very well.