What's new

WTF Merlin?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Nah, I'm done with the place. Not going this year. If it wasn't for the Fireworks and Faff Finale, I wouldn't have gone last year either.
Sh*thole.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've had a brief look on Facebook and can't see any posts regarding the new opening times. Anyone have any links? I'm curious what the GP are saying about this too...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It's time for Merlin to sell Alton or Thorpe. Their monopoly has lasted too long and done too much damage.

Yeah, this. Lack of competition seems to breed complacency. It seems like Merlin's monopoly in the sector has removed the push for improvement, to get an edge over competitors. Why spend money on innovation if you have no competitors?

The amusement park business is costly to establish oneself in, and it takes years to build up a level where one can compete with large parks who's had years if not decades to get a good line-up of rides and themed areas. Merlin can sleep easy, knowing that nobody will get an edge on them overnight. The only real competitors to big Merlin parks are other big Merlin parks (and possibly BPB? It's independent and big, but also quite far away from the popolous Greater London area). Indeed, nobody beats Merlin in the UK amusement park market. But that's because nobody else seems to be trying either. Merlin is number one no matter what they do, so why bother to improve? It's not like people have anywhere else to go (for the record, I'm seeing the same with TusenFryd).

Or, well, they do. The usual question is "Will people go visit Alton Towers, or Park X?". Now it's "Will people go visit Alton Towers, or not go to a park at all?" Considering the cost of alternative A, and the diminished experience they have to offer, alternative B almost seems like the favourable one here. That does not bode well, neither for the Towers nor the industry in general.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've had a brief look on Facebook and can't see any posts regarding the new opening times. Anyone have any links? I'm curious what the GP are saying about this too...
Don't think they're announcing it. I know Thorpe wouldn't be like OH HERE'S OUR NEW OPENING HOURS because all you do is open yourself to ridicule. It'll just be somebody hardcore who happened to notice and posted in a forum.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think every Winter Wonderland has shown is that pay per ride is wonderfully profitable.

Have free entry to the park and then everyone pays per ride. Car park and monorail only £15 each! Bargain!

It's not like the place is Blackpool and people would be using the utilities and not paying anything towards the upkeep. "Profits, not people" could be their new company motto.

Sent from my E6683 using Tapatalk

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Cant say i'd have been going to Towers this year anyway but the reduced opening really does take the piss. Monumental opportunity for other parks to steal some of the AT thunder so I seriously hope BPB consider revising their opening times to 12pm to 9pm as suggested in their questionnaire.

Not too bothered about the monorail personally but will be excited to see the reaction of single mother Donna (34), from Coventry, when she had to push a triple kids buggy full of whining kids whilst dragging her 2 other obese sprogs along the 15 minute walk.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
The usual question is "Will people go visit Alton Towers, or Park X?". Now it's "Will people go visit Alton Towers, or not go to a park at all?" Considering the cost of alternative A, and the diminished experience they have to offer, alternative B almost seems like the favourable one here.

So, let's suppose it does come to this - that the downward spiral continues to the point where people just stop going. Then what?
I mean, really, what happens next?
Even more cost cutting? Even more ride closures? Even less investment?
Total closure??
I just don't get where they're going with this?
Is it really so bad that the best hope for the park is for it to become such a money loser that Merlin are forced to sell it?

Dar

Hyper Poster
Don't panic, it's only 4:30pm closing on off-peak days! It's 5:30pm on weekends and 6pm in the holidays!

So everything is fine! 7 and a half hours is *plenty* to get nothing done during the summer holidays :D

mouse

Giga Poster
Not too bothered about the monorail personally but will be excited to see the reaction of single mother Donna (34), from Coventry, when she had to push a triple kids buggy full of whining kids whilst dragging her 2 other obese sprogs along the 15 minute walk.
Not to mention the reaction of Vicky (21), who wants to ride The Smiler again for an inspirational Daily Mail article and accompanying lingerie photoshoot, but will have some difficulties walking from the car park.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think every Winter Wonderland has shown is that pay per ride is wonderfully profitable.

Winder Wonderland taught you that? I learned it from playing the RCT games.

Bu yeah, pay-per-ride could be a decent business model for Alton Towers, also from an enthusiast point of view. Then they'd have to build rides people would actually want to pay to go on. I don't think they could have gotten away with something like Th13teen if people had to pay for it specifically, after seeing that it was just a dressed-up kiddie coaster.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Closing at 4:30 on a off-peak day is fine. There's only about three rides to go on anyway! Are they still closing on the really quiet early week weekdays like they did in 2016?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
I wouldn't mind the 4:30 close on dead days if the park still opened at 10 but they've changed the opening hours to half 10 opening everyday for the rest of the season. Yes it's only half an hour, but that's half an hour taken out of an already extremely short day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Whatever next? Maybe they'll close the queue lines early so the rides stop at 4:30. Where can I suggest this?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Whatever next? Maybe they'll close the queue lines early so the rides stop at 4:30. Where can I suggest this?

Rides stop at 4:30? What about 4:00, so the last guest can be out of the park by 4:30?

Will

Strata Poster
Closing at 4:30 on a off-peak day is fine. There's only about three rides to go on anyway! Are they still closing on the really quiet early week weekdays like they did in 2016?
It's closed most Wednesdays in term time, from the looks of things.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
A little off topic, but I went to Thorpe on Saturday and the park ops were ****e. Nearly an hour queue just to buy a ticket and huge queues all day due to crap one train operations. I'm entitled to a Ride Access Pass and still had to wait about 45 mins for Swarm and nearly an hour for Stealth. Staff were really friendly but my God, ****e form Thorpe!!!

Gazza

Giga Poster
I'm not sure if this was installed under Tussauds or Merlin, but stuff it I'm putting it here anyway because Merlin should have fixed it.
Desert Race's logo:
desertrace.JPG

Why is it so daggy and geatric looking?

For the theme of the ride, in my mind, the logo should be like this, for example:
dirt_2_logo.jpg