What's new

World Cup Topic 2018

Will

Strata Poster
Since we're probably going to end up with one of these at some point, no time like the present.

Post your predictions, post-match analysis, complaints about the terrible TV pundits and excuses when England fail to make it past the last-16 here :)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Russia v Saudi Arabia proved a better game than I expected. A fairly hopeless and out of depth Saudi team portrayed Russia as a decent side. Despite the convincing win I felt Russia were quite sloppy with both their passing and in the final third.

Since it was on ITV, I muted the TV and went with Five Live commentary. I'm quite frankly sick of Glen Hoddle talking about what he would do, rather than giving us viewers a decent insight.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
^

I forgot just how awful ITV are at football coverage. The presenters, pundits, commentators, even the studio are all terrible compared to BBC.

Saudi Arabia played exactly like you'd expect a Muslim football team to play during Ramadan in fairness.

Has anyone put any bets on? I've got a few ridiculous 50/1 + shots on :)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I don't do football really. But I can get excited for the World Cup. I didn't watch today's match so I'm sure my insight will be really appreciated.

A BBC pundit (the name escapes me, it might have been Alan Shearer) said 'Saudi Arabia have played the worst game of World Cup Finals football I've ever seen'. High praise indeed.
I assume Egypt don't stand much of a chance against Uruguay?

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Egypt v Uruguay will be an interesting match. Both teams have one big star player in Salah and Saurez. However I believe that Uruguay have more quality and with Cavani and Godin they should be looking to win this match and the group.

Will

Strata Poster
ITV's coverage has been more woeful than usual, as Eni Aluko has forced herself upon us, in addition to Glenn Hoddle's dirge-like commentary. The BBC aren't immune from criticism, as Mark Lawrenson nearly put me back to sleep this morning.

I keep getting distracted, so I've not watched as much of the tournament as I'd expected so far, though did catch all of Spain v Portugal - I can't ****ing stand Ronaldo, but also can't deny he made that match the spectacle it was. My immediate reaction was that I wouldn't be surprised to see that game replayed as the final, but then we've not seen Brazil or Germany yet, nor have France or Argentina shown us their best, perhaps most anticipating the fights Australia and Iceland would put up. I was also disappointed for Egypt, but if you're going to leave Salah on the bench and bring on bloody Ramadan, then what do you expect?

The rest of today's games don't exactly have me drooling in anticipation, but there should be a couple of good ones tomorrow.

Will

Strata Poster
Really enjoyed this afternoon's game - despite being English, I do enjoy watching the Germans, but at the same time, it was nice to see their new generation taste opening game defeat. Their endless attempts to get back into it, combined with resilient Mexican defending was what made it though.

Equally, there may be another shock in progress at the moment, but I still wouldn't be about to bet against the Brazilians.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Mexico were absolutey brilliant - what a game that was. One of the best 1-0's I can remember.

I think so far Spain look the team to beat. They dominated Portugal who got very lucky with two set piece goals and a GK error.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I've got my eye on Belgium at the moment. Reckon they could be the dark horse of this tournament and England will need to tighten up their play for the game against them.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Mexico were incredible against the Germans, cracking match. Obviously the Spain/Portugal match was brilliant too. England had a great first half hour then passed from side to side for a while until King Kane does what he does best, still don't think we have a hope in hell though.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Agreed with peoples Germany comments. Mexico really took the game too Germany and they didnt really have an answer until Mexico tired, even then they looked a bit lost. Absolutely astounds me that Khedira got a call up when players like Sane (exactly what Germany needed) get left at home. Praying it all comes crashing down.

My dark horse is Croatia, think its the last big tournament that there golden generation will all play together. Just wish they had a better striker than Mandzukic, only thing holding them back IMO.

Belgium have a similar problem to us, lots of individually good players that cant be dropped but all of them are used to playing different styles thought the first half against Panama really highlighted this.

davidm

Strata Poster
I've just tried out the BBC Sport VR app on the Ps4 for watching the footy...

And I was genuinely surprised at how good the experience was ; encourage anyone to give it a go.

Basically you are sitting in a posh-suite, right on the half-way line (alongside the main TV cameras) watching the full pitch (a bit wider than your angle of view so you have to turn your head slightly to see each end) and its really like you are there (d'oh its VR Dave - what did you expect?). Can switch the view to behind either goal too, and theres a few more tricks and stuff going on.
The resolution isn't good enough yet of course, but something like that could well be the future of TV-sport watching (not kidding!)

:emoji_astonished:

Will

Strata Poster
45 minutes is a long time, but... are we on the verge of Word Cup history being made here?!

TilenB

Strata Poster
45 minutes is a long time, but... are we on the verge of Word Cup history being made here?!
Rather sounding like the history repeating than being made. Out of the previous 4 champions only Brazil made it out the group stage in the following championships, with France being knocked out in 2002, Italy in 2010 and Spain in 2014.

Will

Strata Poster
Well, that kept us guessing anyway.

Bloody stupid free kick to give away in injury time - I'm actually kind of gutted for them.
Reckon Germany will still go out to Brazil in the next round.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'm not a football fan really, but I hope Germany make it to the semis. I'm staying in Germany for both semi finals (by sheer coincidence). Was also in Germany for the Euro quarter finals in 2016 when they were playing and the atmosphere everywhere was just electric and such good fun to be around; their fans are just so passionate! So it'd be nice to be around that atmosphere again!

Will

Strata Poster
I was lucky enough to watch Sweden v Italy at Liseberg during the last Euros.
Sadly, they lost. Fab atmosphere though, once we managed to fight our way into the fanzone!
IMG_3218b.jpg

Will

Strata Poster
tally_5.png

I cynically predicted this as a 0-0 before the tournament, but England just need one more goal without reply and then we could draw on Thursday night and still top the group.
After this evening, we should have some idea of who the last-16 opponents are likely to be.

England haven't been at their best defensively and Panama haven't exactly made it hard, so still plenty of work to do before playing a 'good' side though.