What's new

Witches Wheel being removed at Cedar Point

Snoo

The Legend
It was one of the roughest coasters I did on the trip but I can't remember which row I sat on. I got off and was like that was horrid. haha

Yeah the ride can vary depending on where you sit. I tend to avoid sitting in the back of a car as those rows tend to be rougher, especially on Magnum. I'm a middle row guy and have never had an issue with roughness. Of course, that same thing can apply to most, if not all rides regardless of age and type IMO.

I've also been riding it for 2 decades so I may have a little more practice. I've found most Europeans tend to ride it and move on.. being it's CP and that it's a bit rough. Of course, I'm long past credit whoring so I usually only ride it and a few others when I go.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Magnum isn't going anywhere, and when the time comes for the park to retire it, I'm sure they will find some way to resurrect it. And yes, I am also in that camp that absolutely adores the ride as I grew up with it as well.

I would LOVE to see Cedar Point kill two birds with one stone and add a small Gravity Group woodie. Such a ride would add another wood coaster to the line up and also provide a nice experience for families and younger thrill seekers who aren't yet big enough to ride the park's giants.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Magnum isn't going anywhere, and when the time comes for the park to retire it, I'm sure they will find some way to resurrect it. And yes, I am also in that camp that absolutely adores the ride as I grew up with it as well.

I would LOVE to see Cedar Point kill two birds with one stone and add a small Gravity Group woodie. Such a ride would add another wood coaster to the line up and also provide a nice experience for families and younger thrill seekers who aren't yet big enough to ride the park's giants.
GCI Small Woodie themed after the old original Cyclone. ;)

Gemini and Magnum are not going anywhere either. Magnum is the 3rd most ridden roller coaster in the park (Gatekeeper and MF being 1 and 2), and Cedar Point has been throwing quite the 40th anniversary celebration for Gemini. Disneyland will remove the Matterhorn before Cedar Point removes Gemini; these classic Arrow coasters fill in the underrated category of family-focused roller coasters very well.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Gemini's actually quite good, I prefer it over Magnum. It has some pretty solid airtime and the racing interactions are actually done pretty well. I can't think of another racing coaster where you can high five the riders in the other train. I don't want to see it go.

Magnum needs some new trains...or at least better lap bars. Make that thing comfortable and it could be great. I don't really see it happening though if it's still one of the more popular rides in the park.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Gemini's actually quite good, I prefer it over Magnum. It has some pretty solid airtime and the racing interactions are actually done pretty well. I can't think of another racing coaster where you can high five the riders in the other train. I don't want to see it go.

Well, you can high five on Racer at Kennywood and Grand National at BPB. Besides this, I have to admit that CP does a good job at making sure that trains race properly for most of the layout.

I am quite sure that whatever is replacing Witches' Wheel won't be a coaster. I bet CP will have a flat ride... I mean they have just got SV. Next year should be a gap year, right?

codeman94

Mega Poster
Magnum feels exactly like you'd think the tallest and fastest roller coaster built in 1989 would. Engineering just wasn't great back then. It was stretching the limits of what was possible. And the product (ride quality) is proof of that. I don't think its gotten any worse over the years, I think new rides have just gotten so much smoother. Our brains are now trained to think any 200ft+ coaster should ride super smooth. That's why everyone loved Millennium Force so much when it opened. It took everything everbody loved about Magnum, but made it WAAAAY better in every way.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Troika (Troika Troika)
Haha, glad I'm not the only one who calls it that!

But something I've noticed is that once Witches Wheel goes away, there won't be an inverting ride (I don't really count MaxAir as inverting). They could probably remove the trees and put something like a top scan or tourbillon. While this is what I'd hope for, I'd need to know the square footage of the space.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

giphy.gif

Blind prediction: more ride removal(s) and/or rides moving to new spots in the park ala Calypso for Valravn, Chaos for Top Thrill Dragster, and Giant Wheel for Millennium Force.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
So, the park's first project meeting for the next ten-year plan is tomorrow?