Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will's Adventures on the M5

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Will, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    Just a quick one from me today as I’ve not done a long drive in a while and it’s finished me off! So, as I’m finally starting a new job next Monday, I wanted to do something fun but comparatively inexpensive and the usual check of coaster-count showed that a couple of new creds which had somehow slipped under my radar had made their home in Weston super Mare. This was typical, as I’ve now been there three years in a row, each time suspecting it would be a while until I was back. I also remember mocking Sue last year following her insistence that there was a cred in WSM; turns out she was actually early, not late!

Conveniently for me, I realised that as my route involved what 2008_Will would probably have called ‘Excess M5age’, I’d also be passing by Sandwell Valley Amusements. This place has a very ‘kiddie’ look about it, so usually I wouldn’t have chanced doing it alone – but there’s a couple of youtube ‘vlogs’ from goons who’ve visited recently, showing it to be no problem.

The slight detour also meant that I could at least some of the burdenous M5 roadworks. My satnav got a little confused somewhere around the outskirts of West Brom (who wouldn’t!) but the place is easy to find – simply follow signs to Sandwell Valley Park Farm and it’s a couple of hundred metres walk. Parking for an hour is the princely sum of £0.40 and I approved. I walked up to the gate to be greeted by a few greasy teenagers who informed me in their local dialect that the park wasn’t open until 12, so I wandered around for 10 minutes. The cred (a wacky worm) had a rather not open look about it, but I bought my tokens (2 x £0.70) and stood outside the station looking expectant. A more senior (read: older) staff member asked if I wanted a ride, I explained that I did and apologised for being a burden, but he laughed and said that was what he was there for. Long story short, I got the cred – only had to have three laps (with a bonus staff member for ballast!) and that it was time to get out of Sandwell!
    IMG_7581.jpg IMG_7578.jpg
    The next stop was of course Weston Super Mare, but one of my friends from TS had been excited by Gloucester service station yesterday (bloody goons, eh ;) ) so I had to check it out. It’s a garden-centrey service station in the style of Tebay on the M6, but I preferred Tebay – it was also a bit pretentious (read: expensive) so although I looked at exciting meats, snacks and drinks, I ended up buying some sweets.
    IMG_7583.JPG
    EEE.jpg
    Yay. Further down the M5, I stopped in Worle to buy supplies for the evening (mainly alcohol).
    At length, I reached Weston super Mare, where the traffic wasn’t that bad – the parking was upsetting however – if you’re better organised than me, park NOT on the promenade and walk – otherwise you’re looking at £6 – and the machines don’t take card so you have to pay in the shop if you’ve not got enough coins. Onto the park itself (the man selling me tokens made a comment about their rent on the site and how they were considering moving, as inner-city is surprisingly cheaper than WSM) and there were two coasters to be had – a Wacky Worm and the new Wild Mouse. This came to another £6.
    IMG_7590.JPG
    I grabbed the Wacky Worm first – the train had just been dispatched as I arrived, so I stood around looking like a goon (I deliberately wore ‘gooniform’ as if to signify WHY a lone 30-year-old male was riding a Wacky Worm over 100 miles from home) before ending up looking like even MORE of a goon as I got a train to myself. The operator asked if I’d been on the bigger one yet and I said I was going to – ‘Oh, you’re one of those rollercoaster buffs?’ I smiled and confessed – he said he knew that feeling and thus I felt suitably non-judged – he even asked about my count and preferences. For the record, this is one of the newer Wacky Worms and was quite smooth – even the final corner, and I told the man this. ‘Now try the other one!’ he implored, ‘Just been built by some Italian company!’ – I have little trust in Italian manufacturers, and again he made a joke about how they’d called their ride a ‘Wacky Worm’ although the train is clearly a Caterpillar and yet all the tourists call it The Big Apple.

There was no queue for the Wild Mouse and I sat at the back of the car – the staff were smiley, but silent – I suspected their English was minimal. As with a lot of rides, it may have been the weather, or the fact that I was in a good mood due to a comparatively easy three new British creds (that takes me to 202 in the UK) but the ride was actually not at all bad – it looks looked after and recently painted and carries a surprisingly amount of speed through the layout – there was even the odd pop of airtime and the roughness was… negligible compared to similar models – all told, much better than a Pinfari Zyklon or similar, and despite only being there for 20 minutes or so, I left Weston with a smile.
    IMG_7584.JPG
    IMG_7592.JPG IMG_7593.JPG IMG_7596.JPG
    The smile faded somewhat as I realised it was 85 miles to my next destination (en route home – I must do Flambards at some point, but this weekend was not the time, plus the cheapest Travelodge along the M5 was back toward the North) and the road was a bit dull, but no hold-ups etc. By the fact that I’m talking about the M5, I think that probably concludes my report. Christ on a bike, only I could turn those two places into 1,000 words. Fear not, there’ll be pics once I can be arsed to upload them. Ooh, there is motorsport on - and my hotel is next to an Indian takeaway...

24 UK coasters to go now, apparently - and only ONE left in Western England!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Howie, Hixee and Mrsupersonic8 like this.
  2. nadroJ

nadroJ Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Huh, Serena and I were at Weston Super Mare getting creds today too!

3. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    ^
    Sorry, wasn't deliberate! :)

I did see someone who looked like you, but that was on a horsey-bikey... thing in Sandwell!
    Hope you both thought the Wild Mouse was [comparatively] fab and the staff were as friendly to you too :)

4. nadroJ

nadroJ Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    Excessive restraints - but yes, we both went 'ooh' the same time at the random pop of airtime at the end!

Also I suspect Wacky Worm man was excited about your goonery because he'd already had a similar chat with us about it earlier in the day.

I also didn't realise until we left that the land it lives on was the site of the Dismaland Banksy thing, so that's cool.

5. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    ^
    Ah, if you'd told the guy that explains it, though he did say 'I know the feeling...' when I said 'I'll ride any coaster, no matter how ridiculous I end up looking' or similar, perhaps that's how he knew of the existence of goons :) I only had the shoulder bar on the Wild Mouse, but agreed, there were a LOT of straps! Coaster-count tells me it's from the travelling circuit, so he wasn't entirely right, but I'm sure you'll agree it looks much newer and cleaner than most coastal coasters :)

I also didn't know about Dismaland, so that's interesting - as I said, the guy who sold me the tokens said it was too expensive to be on that site and I suggested moving - he said they were looking into it, not that that necessarily means anything, of course.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. HeartlineCoaster

HeartlineCoaster Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    There goes the rare points.

I like the printed itinerary for a local cred run. A real sign of dedication.

Will likes this.
  7. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    That services on the M5 is owned by the same company as Tebay. They have just opened another one in Scotland too which I stopped at on the way back from M&Ds a few weeks back. But Tebay is best, as you say, if only because of the duck pond :)

Oh and nice report btw, very elaborate for such a simple selection of coasters! ;)

8. furie

furie SBOPD Staff Member Administrator Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Boulder Dash
    Best Park:
    Busch Gardens WB
    Coaster Count:
    I feel I may have to get the ban hammer out. It's nice people are making an effort to post, but when it comes to comparing duck ponds at service stations... :p

Howie, witchfinder and nadroJ like this.
  9. witchfinder

witchfinder Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Islands of Adventure
    Coaster Count:
    There is no comparison - I don't think they have one at the M5 services ;)

10. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Katun
    Best Park:
    Europa Park
    Coaster Count:
    I think the 'joke' started after somebody found out that Gloucester Services had a higher customer satisfaction rating than Chessington on tripadvisor :p

I've also found a vlog of people reviewing Oxford services. I'm now reconsidering several of my life choices.

Howie likes this.