What's new

Dollywood | Wildwood Grove | New Kids Area for 2019

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
There is a massive clearing being formed behind Wild Eagle and near the train. I think there are multiple options for this. I think it could either be a new themed area with multiple rides around 2018/2020, or I think we could be seeing a new coaster. The clearing is a large, so I could see a Mack hyper coaster or a B&M invert, something along those lines around 2019.

Thoughts?

Video proof by OhioValleyCoasters.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I've heard this is for a whole new area of the park, but probably spread out over the next decade. That's a TON of land

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Yeah, it's ****ing massive. I can't wait. I'm hopeful for a hyper, as it would make an amazing lineup even better.

I wouldn't be shocked if it is an entire new area, and over the years, Mystery Mine may see it's demise. Total bull **** from me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Considering how Herschend just bought a coaster from Mack, I could definitely see this as something along the lines of DC Rivals and a new themed area. Build the area in 2018/2019 (don't think they've had an announcement for this year yet but with them doing groundwork I could see them at least starting to work their way back there), build the coaster in 2019/2020.

Going by Mack's catalog, I'd say the best fit for the park would be a hyper that hugs the terrain like Helix, but I wouldn't at all rule out a spinning cousin to Time Traveler. Could even see this whole new area having a sort of country Steampunk theme to it.

There will be an extra charge for smoldering LSM magnet capacitors.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
^I think if we do see a hyper coaster, I think it would have inversion, cause otherwise it might become too similar of a ride experience to Lightning Rod. But of course, this is all speculation at this point.

Lofty

CF Legend
^I think if we do see a hyper coaster, I think it would have inversion, cause otherwise it might become too similar of a ride experience to Lightning Rod. But of course, this is all speculation at this point.
It depends who the manufacturer is. If it's a B&M Hyper, it absolutely will not ride like Lightning Rod.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The whole mountain has been levelled, the trees are being burned and it will be one of Dollywood's largest expansions to date.
Video by Coaster Studios.

Matt N

CF Legend
The whole mountain has been levelled, the trees are being burned and it will be one of Dollywood's largest expansions to date.
Video by Coaster Studios.
That's a lot of land. I reckon we could be seeing a new area here. And I don't mean a one-ride "Island" like Merlin puts in at Thorpe with each new ride. I mean a proper, multi-ride area.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Maybe we'll see a Klugheim style area with a major family coaster and a major thrill coaster. Maybe a few other small rides too.

This project looks interesting, I'm gonna stick around and see what happens.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I didn't think it had actually been confirmed that we were receiving an area. I thought it was all just enthusiast theories at the moment.
It hasn't been announced, but based on the size, it is almost obvious it'll be a new area. Unless it's a hotel, which I think is very unlikely, or just a general expansion.

Matt N

CF Legend
I reckon a B&M Hyper would be a good fit here. The park already has relations with B&M from Wild Eagle, so it works. Or there's always Intamin, Mack and Vekoma, but Dollywood doesn't really have past coaster relations with any of them. Or they could even use their relationship with Gerstlauer and try to make the Infinity Coaster into a hyper. It has similar restraints to a B&M Hyper, and it can apparently have trains that are up to 8 cars long, according to Gerst's website.
EDIT: I know Kärnan could be classed as a Gerstlauer hyper, but I more meant an out and back style ride with a standard lift hill.

Last edited:

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
I reckon a B&M Hyper would be a good fit here. The park already has relations with B&M from Wild Eagle, so it works. Or there's always Intamin, Mack and Vekoma, but Dollywood doesn't really have past coaster relations with any of them. Or they could even use their relationship with Gerstlauer and try to make the Infinity Coaster into a hyper. It has similar restraints to a B&M Hyper, and it can apparently have trains that are up to 8 cars long, according to Gerst's website.
It's Hershend, Their fairly unbias to coaster manufacturers and just has each manufacturer build two rides for them, Which usually means one for SDC and one for Dollywood, Which is why so many people think Mack.

Matt N

CF Legend
It's Hershend, Their fairly unbias to coaster manufacturers and just has each manufacturer build two rides for them, Which usually means one for SDC and one for Dollywood, Which is why so many people think Mack.
I suppose you're right, because in the case of Gerstlauer, I guess both of their rides were built in Dollywood.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
My guess would be a speed coaster that focuses mostly on size and force or floater, as it's something they're lacking. Lightning Rod has speed, aggression, and ejector so that's covered. If they want to go something more edgy and focus more on an I305/DC Rivals style force machine, Mack is probably the way to go, and with Time Traveler going up at the sister park I could definitely see this being a possibility. A B&M hyper, on the other hand, would provide a nice, mild floaty ride but without inversions as a nice foil to Lightning Rod. And with this being the park's biggest investment, both are on the costlier side so I could see both being a good possibility.

Dollywood also doesn't have a spinner so I wouldn't rule out another high thrill spinner like Time Traveler, but while the two parks do share a lot of manufacturers and concepts, they don't usually have the same ride systems. Even RMC who was making like two ride systems at the time had to mechanically alter theirs for Lightning Rod. Herschend likes to go for firsts with their additions so it's pretty understandable why.

That being said, this could also be something we've never seen before.