What's new

Width of a track section?

M

M9Rider

Hiya guys, I am new here so a BIG hi!

This is a really strange question but I need to find out if anyone can help please?

What is the width of a normal section of a coaster?

Here in England we had a coaster scrapped about ten years ago and it was built in the late 70's called Corkscrew (Alton Towers), I am trying to find out on an old section of track its measurements please?

Many thanks.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'd treat that with caution though, it sounds like a conclusion that somebody might leap to without really knowing for sure!
This sounds like one for @roomraider. I'm sure I saw a post of his once explaining what the classifications mean. If it wasn't roomie, then I'm sorry he's typecast himself into this position on the forums. :p

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This sounds like one for @roomraider. I'm sure I saw a post of his once explaining what the classifications mean. If it wasn't roomie, then I'm sorry he's typecast himself into this position on the forums. :p
Ah yes that was me.

I'll copy paste from that post. But in summary the track width from the center of one rail to the center of the other on corkscrew should be 1200mm

--------

Just to clear up the numbering system here. The track used on these new Vekoma is 1100mm in width. This is the distance from the center of one rail to the other.
As mentioned before the older MK1200 rides have 1200mm between the center of the rails.

Then the Vekoma trains take different model numbers based on the track they use. Taking the first 2 numbers of the track system then a number which designates the train type.
For example SLC trains are MK1201 and new Boomerang trains are MK1210.

This system also now occurs with the newer MK1100 track system. So the MK1101 trains seen at the top are the sitdown trains which use the new track system. The flying version that will be seen on F.L.Y will be MK1102 trains.