What's new

Which park for you has the highest average for all its coasters?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
If a park had two coasters that you considered a 10 out of 10 (or whatever system you go by), but two crappy coasters that you considered 5s, that park's coasters would average 7.5. But if a park had three 7s and three 9s, that park's coasters would average an 8. So which park's coasters have your highest average ratings?

1. Yes, we're including ALL a park's coasters, even kiddie coasters.

2. Don't post that you don't rate with numbers (I don't either). The numbers are just a way to ask which park you think has the greatest coasters on average.

3. Let's say the park must have at least four coasters to qualify here, so that we don't get several "Kolmarden Zoo" answers.

I have a candidate in mind, but I am curious to hear other responses.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Why can't we have Kolmården zoo? I'll just say Kolmården instead. I'll pretend it has another coaster, but even if it had a pre-2000 Vekoma SLC, Wildfire would still give the park a high average.

Jim in Canada

Roller Poster
Holiday World. Voyage is awesome, Legend kicks all kinds of butt lately and Raven is a consistent thriller. The Holidog coaster is even pretty decent for a kiddie coaster.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Liseberg for me. Two of my favourite rides, Lisebergbanan is a good ride and I didn't mind Kanonen when it was there.

Parquet Warner Madrid isn't a bad shout either but I didn't ride the woodie.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Liseberg for me, by virtue of it having 2 of my top 5 coasters, Lisebergbanan being bloody fantastic anyway, and their small creds being alright.

Though if Temple of the Nighthawk didn't exist, I'm sure Phantasialand would probably clinch it. Temple just brings it down so much...

TilenB

Strata Poster
Yeah, from what I've visited, easily Phantasialand. As with Sue, Taron and Black Mamba are top 10 coasters for me. It's only Temple of the Nighthawk that lets the score down a bit. Another one that I liked was Ferrari World, but as with PL, they have a very average coaster in the shape of Fiorano GT Challenge...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Dollywood.

Obviously Lightning Rod is a 10/10 coaster, Thunderhead is also pretty amazing, I personally really liked Mystery Mine too. Firechaser is one of the best family coasters I've ridden and although there's not much force, Wild Eagle's view and smoothness makes it above average. The only poor cred was Blazing Fury, but it's at least well themed with Fire effects.
I haven't ridden the kiddy cred.

Looking at everywhere else I've been they either have loads of creds with a bunch being poor or a couple of fab coasters let down by more than 1 poor cred. Dollywood has a small volume but high overall quality.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Holiday World. Voyage is awesome, Legend kicks all kinds of butt lately and Raven is a consistent thriller. The Holidog coaster is even pretty decent for a kiddie coaster.
And don’t forget the best wing coaster in the world.

Yeah, in the OP I said I had a candidate in mind, and that was Holiday World.

Will

Strata Poster
My spreadsheet works this out for me :)

However, that does mean that the below only represents currently operating coasters which I have ridden.
  • Phantasialand 7.00 (7)
  • Liseberg 6.60 (5)
  • Efteling 6.57 (7)
  • Alton Towers 6.33 (9)
  • Erlebnispark Tripsdrill 6.00 (4)
  • Mirabilandia 6.00 (5)
  • Europa Park 6.00 (12)
  • Djurs Sommerland 5.75 (4)
  • Fantasy Island 5.75 (4)
  • Bakken 5.67 (6)
  • PortAventura Park* (not including Red Force) 5.63 (8)
  • Thorpe Park 5.57 (7)
  • Hansa Park* 5.57 (7)
  • Lightwater Valley 5.50 (4)
  • Chessington World of Adventures 5.50 (4)
  • Fårup Sommerland 5.50 (4)
  • Walibi Holland* 5.43 (7)
  • Walibi Belgium* 5.33 (6)
  • Parc Astérix 5.29 (7)
  • Canada's Wonderland* 5.27 (15)
  • La Ronde 5.25 (8)
  • Heide Park Resort* (minus Colossos) 5.25 (8)
  • Bobbejaanland 5.14 (7)
  • Linnanmäki 5.13 (8)
  • Gröna Lund 5.00 (6)
  • Disneyland Paris 5.00 (both parks) (7)
  • Tivoli Gardens 5.00 (4)
  • Walygator Parc* 5.00 (4)
  • Blackpool Pleasure Beach * 5.00 (not including Wild Mouse) (9)
  • Nigloland 4.83 (6)
  • Paultons Park 4.80 (5)
  • Plopsaland De Panne* 4.80 (5)
  • Parc Saint Paul 4.67 (6)
  • Wiener Prater 4.58 (12)
  • Parque de Atracciones de Madrid 4.57 (7)
  • Movie Park Germany* 4.50 (6)
  • BonBon-Land 4.50 (4)
  • Adventure Island* 4.40 (5)
  • Freizeitpark Plohn* 4.33 (6)
  • Gardaland 4.33 (6)
  • Parque Warner Madrid* 4.33 (6)
  • Tivoli Friheden 4.25 (4)
  • Drievliet Family Park 4.25 (4)
  • Drayton Manor 4.00 (5)
  • Botton's Pleasure Beach 4.00 (4)
  • Flamingo Land * 3.25 (8)
  • Gulliver's Milton Keynes* 3.00 (4)
I should add that, aside from the top 3, this really doesn't work for rating. I want to work out another method which includes scores for support rides, operations, atmosphere, theming etc. but it's always seemed too much like hard work :p

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
I haven't been on Star Trek yet and whilst Parque Warner may have two B&Ms, I also consider them to have two of the worst coasters on the continent.
Also, the two Madrid B&Ms are operated painfully slowly and ride as though their maintenance is severely lacking. I couldn't believe how one Batman could be so different from another!

TilenB

Strata Poster
I haven't been on Star Trek yet and whilst Parque Warner may have two B&Ms, I also consider them to have two of the worst coasters on the continent.
Also, the two Madrid B&Ms are operated painfully slowly and ride as though their maintenance is severely lacking. I couldn't believe how one Batman could be so different from another!
Yeah, I gathered you probably haven't been on Star Trek, I was just surprised how could MPG have a higher average than PWM. With the exception of Van Helsing (and Star Trek too now, I guess), their coasters are worthless trash. A shame to hear Stunt Fall is that bad, I quite liked the GIB I've done in the states years ago, even more than the Batman clone they had.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I rated all the coasters from the major parks I've visited, averaged the scores and came out with this Top 5:
  1. Six Flags Over Georgia - 6.70
  2. Alton Towers - 6.56
  3. Phantasialand - 6.43
  4. PortAventura - 6.38 (excluding Red Force)
  5. Dollywood - 6.29 (excluding Lightning Rod :()
If Lightning Rod hadn't spited and I'd have given it 10/10 as expected, that would've bumped Dollywood up to first place. I think SFOG as the highest average seems about right. They only have one coaster that made my Top Ten (Goliath) but with three more B&Ms, Mindbender and a bunch of reasonable second-tier rides, they do have a pretty consistent selection. RMCing Georgia Cyclone is only going to help them too. I was a little surprised to see Alton in second, but they do have one world class cred and everything else is pretty decent, though local bias may be a factor there.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Why would Kolmarden win. The other 2 are clearly going to drag Wildfire down, which is the point of the topic surely.

Jealous of Will's spreadsheet now, mine took a bit of work to give me results on this.
Here's the top ten marked out of 20:

Liseberg (without Kanonen): 13
Phantasialand: 12.71
Wanda Nanchang (without the caterpillar): 12
Efteling: 11.57
Happy Valley Wuhan: 11.5 (could have been 12.83 without spites)
Djurs: 11.33
Parque Warner (without the woodie or GIB): 11.25
Europa (without the sheep): 11.17
Universal Japan (with VR): 11
Thorpe :D: 11

Will

Strata Poster
Parque Warner Madrid would climb into the top 20 of my rankings if Coaster Express and Stunt Fall were both spited.
I would also declare a national day of celebration :p

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Interesting topic! Based on this system my top five parks ended up being-

1) Hersheypark: 5.857
2) Lake Compounce: 5.700
3) Cedar Point: 5.528
4) SFGAdv: 5.308
5) SFNE: 5.167

The actual order of my top 5 favorite parks is actually 1) Cedar Point 2) Hersheypark 3) Lake Compounce 4) Knoebels 5) SFNE. My top 3 are all pretty close and there's a pretty big gap to 4 and 5 which are pretty close together.