What's new

What's next for RMC?

andrus

Giga Poster
Re: What's next for RMC? New Concept Coaster (page 4)

^The biggest difference, I think, will be the cheaper manufacturing process. This type of track do not have any cross-ties, neither does it have separate rails (hence the "mono" track label). Of course this will lead to a less effective use of steel, but will serously reduce man-hours!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

But more importantly, if they are not filling the track with sand, imagine the SOUND!

CFXtremeFan

Roller Poster

Hyde said:
But more importantly, if they are not filling the track with sand, imagine the SOUND!
Yep that sound would be pretty loud and awesome. It'll probably be called the RMC roar.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

^The last big, expensive ride Six Flags built was X-Flight in 2012. They're mostly sticking with conversions and cheap clones anymore. Gotta squeeze every last drop out of that dollar no matter how much quality it costs them!

If this track is for what I think it is, I would guess Herschend or Blackstone would be the first to try this out. There's a shortage of hypers in both chains and both have been known to try newer ride types (Manta West, Verbolten, Outlaw, Mystery Mine, Eagle, and FireChaser were all world or American firsts), not to mention that both chains have parks with terrain challenges that this versatile track could not only resolve but use to improve the ride. I'd guess this starts life in either...

A. BGW's Ireland section
B. Dollywood
C. Silver Dollar City

Just a thought but those are the only chains I see wanting to try this. :?

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Six Flags has a long standing relationship with RMC, so pretty sure it will be Six Flags as well...or Herschend.

John Knotts

Mega Poster

Jarrett said:
^The last big, expensive ride Six Flags built was X-Flight in 2012. They're mostly sticking with conversions and cheap clones anymore. Gotta squeeze every last drop out of that dollar no matter how much quality it costs them!

If this track is for what I think it is, I would guess Herschend or Blackstone would be the first to try this out. There's a shortage of hypers in both chains and both have been known to try newer ride types (Manta West, Verbolten, Outlaw, Mystery Mine, Eagle, and FireChaser were all world or American firsts), not to mention that both chains have parks with terrain challenges that this versatile track could not only resolve but use to improve the ride. I'd guess this starts life in either...

A. BGW's Ireland section
B. Dollywood
C. Silver Dollar City

Just a thought but those are the only chains I see wanting to try this. :?

Yeah, except some of the most quality coasters built in the last 5 years in the US have been RMC/SF conversions so...

And as mentioned above, SF has the longer history with RMC AND is still willing to build firsts of it's kind rides.

They may not build the biggest or even the best, but I'd bet money on them building the first. While other chains sit back and make sure they work first.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster

The trains suggest mega coaster if comparing them to Giovanola's Titan and Goliath trains.

Also, imagine if this concept was used on a roller coaster like I305... does anyone else think they wouldn't have had such an issue with wheel-melting?

This single rail concept appears to provide a flat surface for the wheels to roll on, which would seem to evenly distribute the pressure of g-forces across the width of the wheels, compared to wheels on rounded rails on the traditional dual-rail design.

BigBad

Mega Poster

ava1enzue1a said:
Also, imagine if this concept was used on a roller coaster like I305... does anyone else think they wouldn't have had such an issue with wheel-melting?
Is it anything but a rumor that its wheels melted until the turn got widened? I have a bit of a hard time buying that. It makes more sense to me that the turn was changed because it was decided that 6 Gs was too high.

BigBad

Mega Poster

GuyWithAStick said:
^No, there are reports of melted wheels.
I'm seeing a lot of people on sites like this mentioning it, but it still seems like something KD released to sound awesome.

"Don't tell them that the turn is too intense! Tell that that we have to reprofile it to keep the wheels from melting since it's going so fast!"

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

BigBad said:
GuyWithAStick said:
^No, there are reports of melted wheels.
I'm seeing a lot of people on sites like this mentioning it, but it still seems like something KD released to sound awesome.

"Don't tell them that the turn is too intense! Tell that that we have to reprofile it to keep the wheels from melting since it's going so fast!"
The wheels were melting from the extreme friction. Aidan and I were the first to notice, or at least the first to make the park manager aware of the situation, during the coaster's first ERT event.
In addition to the sprinklers to cool the wheels in the station, the park removed the trim brakes off the hill next to the station and put them on the lift hill drop. They also used single train operations because they were going through the wheels so fast. That way they always had a train with new wheels standing by to put onto the track whenever they needed to pull the one in use off.
So do you really think that was all just some sort of stunt to "sound awesome"? They were spending a small fortune on wheels that first season and had to do whatever they could to reduce those expenses. There was nothing "awesome" about putting a brake on the first drop, but it was all about the money, as is so often the case.

BigBad

Mega Poster

I've always thought that the modifications had to do with the 270 after the first drop. This is the first evidence that I've seen about wheel damage, which is what I wanted.

But I could see KD saying that it was to keep the turn from melting the wheels, even if it only had to do with the high-G turn.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster

BigBad said:
I've always thought that the modifications had to do with the 270 after the first drop. This is the first evidence that I've seen about wheel damage, which is what I wanted.

But I could see KD saying that it was to keep the turn from melting the wheels, even if it only had to do with the high-G turn.
How are you still in so much denial? :|

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

A few other examples of wheel assembly cooling:

Titan at SFOT also uses a sprinkler setup to cool wheels and assembly, jump to 2:40:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pJtBIBnD4A[/youtube]

MF also began toying with water cooling the wheel assembly in the loading station back in 2012, though I do not believe they still do.

As for the first to bite on the RMC single rail, Six Flags has been the biggest buyer of RMC, yet their focus has been more conversion of old Dinn, Cobb, etc. I would guess the single rail is intended for a ground-up product, rather than conversion - still could be other major chains around the world.

Intricks

Strata Poster

For MF - I believe it depends on the temps/season, as Ive seen it used during the summer on the hotter days, but not during Hallo-weekends (this was during last year summer and the 2013 haunt season). Im more than likely wrong for the most part, but I dont see it as a necessity for MF all the time because it being in Ohio.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

All of which is to say yes - water cooling has been used on roller coasters in the past to extend the life of the wheel assembly.

On if the RMC Single Rail will provide better battery life with a flat surface of contact instead of the road surface of contact with traditional tubular steel - we shall see!

BigBad

Mega Poster

CarolinaRider said:
How are you still in so much denial? :|
It sounds crazy enough that I wanted some kind of evidence rather than a rumor about something that sounds cool. You must admit that, "Hey, folks, we have to modify the ride because it goes so fast that it's melting the trains," sounds a little bit awesome.

I thought that my post was pretty clearly saying that I can believe a credible source like the man who films most of the CF videos, so hopefully this one accomplishes that.

Do you have pictures of damage to the wheels from before the modifications? I'd love to see what happened, not even as much as evidence that this happened, but to see something counter-intuitive.