What's new

What kind of accent do you speak with?

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Unfortunately, there are nowhere near as many different accents as there were just a few decades ago. The invention of television and the internet are partly to blame, and accents are becoming far more generalised. In the early 20th century, not only did each county have a recognisable accents, but so did its towns, and people even spoke differently from village to village. In fact, in the 1930s and 40s, my grandparents could tell which part of the village in which a person lived simply by listening to the way they speak. Nowadays, somebody from Maidstone sounds barely different to somebody from Brighton.

But anyway, I speak with a mainly Kentish accent, but I do have some Irish and Scottish ancestry which has had an influence on the way I speak.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No idea :lol:

I come from Lancashire, so there's some Lancastrian in there and there was also some Mancunian and Scouse when I was younger. I can still talk mild scouse while at home to fit in (everyone is mild scouse now) and I can push to do strong scouse easily.

My Grandad came from Kent (Maidstone :roll: ), but grew up in Faversham, so he had a strong Kent accent.

So it was all a mix until I came to uni. I spent most of my time with girlfriends who had posh parents in the home counties, or their folks were officers and spoke Queens English. So I think my accent has become "Northern, but null". Some of Stafford has strong accents in the outlying villages, but the main town has a relatively large student population and it seems to have destroyed any accent.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ And you can't say "air".

I have a central southern accent, which is a cross between a cockney and a farmer.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
^ And you can't say "air".

That's the Lancastrian bit :)

Ian said:
I have a central southern accent, which is a cross between a cockney and a farmer.

Is that a Farmney or a Cocker? Maybe a Focker?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I don't have a clue. :?
I used to have a German accent, but not anymore.
I guess it's American, but many Yanks ask what country I'm from & some ask if I'm Canadian, but I think that was just because to them I don't sound American, English, Irish or Scottish. I don't have any local accent (Northeast, Southern, Midwest, Southwest or West Coast). I can do a bit of a southern drawl (I went to college in South Carolina & picked it up) or a New York/New Jersey dialect, but that's not the norm.
I can tell you that in Germany you can still tell exactly where someone is from. Not just which state or region, but actually which city, town or village (depending on how local you are). Every German knows that I'm from somewhere near Augsburg because of my mix of Bavarian & Swabian dialects, but sometimes they are thrown off a bit since I spent the last few years in Germany near Stuttgart which is pure Swabian dialect. A few people can even tell that I lived in both cities from my dialect. If TP Rich hadn't said otherwise I would have thought it's the same in England. I'm surprised that localized dialects are dying out over there.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know what to make of my accent. It's far from the stereotypical Norwegian accent (as can be heard here), but still pretty terrible.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I can say pretty much anything. I have a mixed Buckinghamshire posh accent and a dreadful Lutonian/Bedfordshire accent.

The accent in Derby is terrible, I have noted.

Gazza

Giga Poster
A fairly thick Australian accent (Such that I often have to repeat myself when in the US...A uprising number there don't actually know what the accent is, having never heard it)
Butt people here can tell I was originally from South Australia because I'll pronounce some words with a long A (ahhh), eg plant, dance, castle.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I'd like to say I have a North London accent with a bit of an Essex twang, although apparently I've adapted that weird farmerness of the Southampton accent.

nealbie

CF Legend
That awkward moment when Jerry doesn't think he has the British stereotype of an American accent *turtle*

Snoo

The Legend
I have a normal Midwestern accent.. one of the purest American forms of English actually.. according to studies. Some words are a bit off.. but for the most part just stereotypical normal American English.