What's new

What is your favourite drop tower?

Lneeno

Roller Poster
Detonator for the drop & hurakan condor for the view. The drops okay too though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edward M

Strata Poster
I’m gonna continue the trend of not including the Tower of Terror, too obviously the best. I think I’m gonna go with the Free Fall Tilt at Gröna Lund. The picturesque location in Stockholm definitely elevates it, but the drop itself was great. I actually thought Ikaros was super underwhelming. It has a great view, but the drop was really lacking.

Coop

Roller Poster
Favourite standard drop tower is Detonator for the force. I wish I could say Lex Luthor, the height is intimidating but it’s just not that forceful at all.
Overall favourite has to be Mystery Castle.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Mystery Castle for me. For the full experience :) (Only the long routine obviously)

And Tikal is indeed good fun, was surprised when I rode it the first time.

Oh and I did Dalton Terror once while it was raining, it felt like he was going twice as fast. Loved this as well.

Albo85

Roller Poster
AtmosFear @ Liseberg is incredibly good, over 100m built on top of the hill!! Also the view it's breath-taking!

UKCoasterFan

Mega Poster
Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror at Disney Paris is a stunning experience, but only in English for me. (If it weren't there they should close the entire studios park for now, there's hardly anything else to do without Rock N Roller coaster! - Also I don't understand why they can't have a dedicated English queue, it would be so much easier than random luck, same as Star Tours 2 which seems to play in English even less frequently)

Mystery Castle at Phantasialand is superb and I'm surprised I don't see many people talk about it. Didn't know what to expect but it's just really great. Did it 3 times in a row on my last day visit at the park in July. A real grower.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Though not a traditional drop tower, Mystery Castle is easily my favourite.

Haven’t done many though, Atmosfear, Hurakan Condor, Apocalypse, Detonator and countless s&s shot towers.

Peet

Giga Poster
No love for Scream at Heide Park? I enjoy the rotation giving a great panoramic view and a really good drop; overall probably my #1 drop tower.
I also enjoy the floorless tilting Intamin ones; Hurkan Condor, the Grona Lund one, and Apolcalpse.
Atmosfear is pretty good too although the lack of rotation lets it down compared with Scream.
I'm surprised Detonator is getting talked about so much, it's just very basic isn't it?
Mystery castle and Tower of Terror are good rides but yeah not really the same thing as a drop tower.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
No love for Scream at Heide Park? I enjoy the rotation giving a great panoramic view and a really good drop; overall probably my #1 drop tower.
I also enjoy the floorless tilting Intamin ones; Hurkan Condor, the Grona Lund one, and Apolcalpse.
Atmosfear is pretty good too although the lack of rotation lets it down compared with Scream.
I'm surprised Detonator is getting talked about so much, it's just very basic isn't it?
Mystery castle and Tower of Terror are good rides but yeah not really the same thing as a drop tower.
Can’t personally stand the floorless ones (standup) as they hurt my coccyx, honestly they really seem to disagree with my tush!

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
I LOVE Demon Drop! It's not the tallest or the most forceful, but it's so sketchy that it honestly added to the experience. I haven't been this scared for a ride since 2017 when I rode Millennium Force and TTD for the first time!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Detonator is basic, but I'm yet to find another tower that is better on the pure power of the drop. I believe those Fabbri models give the car(?) a bit of a shunt downwards to start with rather than just freefall. It makes a significant difference to the drop sensation that doesn't really get replicated anywhere else and makes all the 'biggest in the world' stuff seem weak in comparison.
Scream @ Heide, Donjon @ Nigloland and Drop Line @ Dollywood are other ones that come to mind for the rotation, views and power.
For sheer craziness, the stand-up one with a floor on Apocalypse @ Drayton and most 1st Gen Intamins are also really good.

If Tower of Terrors are being included, the Guardians one is my favourite.

Boodangy

Mega Poster
My definite #1 spot goes to Ikaros at Gröna Lund in Stockholm, Sweden, that straight down dive really does it and hanging at the mercy of your restraint.

#2 spot goes to the 75m Moser gravity tower model (prev. known as mach tower) such as Kingi at Linnanmäki, the restraints are really loose and only do the bare minimum to keep you in and even besides them the drop is really forceful, you get proper air time.

#3 goes to small fabbri towers like detonator at thorpe park, I've heard those small larson towers in the US pack a similiar punch but haven't ridden one myself as I don't think they really exist in Europe.

Dishonorable mention goes to tall yet almost forceless towers that only offer views; Scream @ Heide, Highlander @ Hansa, most gyro drops if I'm honest

Hutch

Strata Poster
I love Falcon's Fury purely for the tilt at the top. It almost makes Sheikra obsolete lol. The drop itself obviously isn't the strongest but plunging down head first is so exhilarating.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Detonator gave me a fear of drop towers but ever since i started riding other ones i have realised Detonator is actually worse than rides 3 times its height!
Detonator literally makes even the Intamin drop towers look like a kiddie ride in comparison, nothing beats the sheer intensity of that bloody drop.

Bedholm

Roller Poster
Ikaros for the complete experience as nothing has even come close to offering that caliber of an experience., but drop wise it goes to the giant drop attached to tower of terror. Compared to Lex Luthor and Zumanjaro I actually got solid airtime that lasted for what felt like eternity.

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster
1. Tower of Terror (WDW) - Best drop/dark ride in the world hands down. Different ride every time plus great atmosphere and a perfect theme to boot
2. Drop Zone (KD) - When its running, its really good. Dropping from that height and not hitting the brakes till the bottom is a great feeling. I just wish the newer Intamin drop towers weren't as controlled so you'd have an incredible drop like this.
3. Angry Birds Detonator (Thorpe Park) - Who knew a ride themed to Angry Birds would be that much fun.
4. Mega Drop (state fair) - Probably one of the more intense drop towers I've been on, you pull some pretty good G's on it.
5. Voodoo Drop (SFA) - I dunno why Carowinds' drop tower is so forgettable because this one is really fun. Its about as forceful as the state fair model but at half the height
6. Doctor Doom (IOA) - If you leave your restraint high enough, you get a really good amount of ejector on this thing. I often skip it but every time I reride, I remember why I like this thing a lot.
7. Wild Surge (BGT) - My favorite drop tower in Tampa. It gets overlooked by Falcon's Fury but definitely don't overlook this gem. Its fun, has a long cycle and you get some good air on it.
8. Screamer (Fun Spot) - Both Screamer towers are pretty much Wild Surge but with less theming and not as good of a ride cycle.
9. Falcon's Fury (BGT) - The whole facing down gimmick is really intimidating, but the drop is super weak, plus it goes down all the time
10. Mach Tower (BGW) - I actually really like the drop on this, plus the view and the rotating seats really add to the experience. My main issue is the constant downtime this thing usually gets coupled with the really uncomfortable seats.

jay37415

Mega Poster
Not really for the height or intensity but my favorite one (just for the view) used to be Pitfall at Kennywood. Because you are up on top of a ravine, you could see for miles when you were on top.

My current favorite one is Drop Line at Dollywood. Simply for the same reason.

But this one is definitely on my bucket list...