What's new

Weird, Wacky & Strange Coaster Bits

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Not a coaster but a very odd attraction from 1907 and something you 100% wouldn't see today (With good reason)
"J.W. Gorman's diving horses at Hanlan's Point Amusement Park in Toronto Canada. "
View attachment 3708
Magic Forest in Lake George New York still had a diving horse even in the mid 2000's. last time I visited the park was 2003 but it was definitely still an attraction the park was promoting.
diving horses were also prominent attractions at Coney Island and up and down the New Jersey coast. Atlantic City for instance. There was even a movie based on them made in the 90's https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hearts_Can't_Be_Broken

Pear

Strata Poster
Ride Engineers have had this concept for a while. I'm confused why Technical Park is just copying them entirely.

Peet

Giga Poster
That is a cool homemade looking coaster! I was worried for a moment that I may have driven right past it last month and not known, but it's further South than anywhere I went.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I saw this a while ago and I’m just not sure what to make of it... half of the parts look like they’re made out of plastic, yet it’s surprisingly tall and inverted. Has anyone here ridden this?
https://rcdb.com/11537.htm

The other coaster at the same park also looks quite odd. Big Apple trains and track built into a rather substantial looking coaster! Not quite as odd but definitely unusual and different.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I need the giant, hybrid (wooden supports!), Big Apple in my life:

aacmufa

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
This is one of the most weird and well insane videos I have ever seen

Skip forward to Around the 8min mark as the ride is ascending the lift... Things get even more intense a little after 10mins.

Note: The date on the video says 1948 but considering the ride in the video (Giant Coaster at Fuji-Q) wasn't built until 1966 this is obviously either not using our calendar or just wrong.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Definitely some sort of odd publicity stunt. Considering the picture quality and the fire, would it be possible that this formed part of a ride closing ceremony?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Fire and rollercoaster...all it needs is a bacon butty while watching...oh God, I've got one of those as well.
Head explodes.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Definitely some sort of odd publicity stunt. Considering the picture quality and the fire, would it be possible that this formed part of a ride closing ceremony?

Its some kind of Magician stunt but its not a bad bet it was done at the closing of the ride for the construction of Fujiyama.

In other weird Japanese news who wants some B&M beer. Released by Suntory in 1995 to celebrate the opening of Gambit at Gotemba Family Land.
I know this I'snt technically a weird coaster but what other thread could this really go in?

Gambit.jpg

Perhaps more strangely they also released a Microsoft SQL Server edition in 97

Gambit2.jpg

Nom nom nom....
Theres a ton of special editions over the years on everything from Bridges to Trains.
http://www.beernari.com/suntory/malts/malts1995a.htm