What's new

Universal Studios Beijing | 2021

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, the Waterworld show is fantastic. I'd happily rewatch that at all the Universal parks, to be honest.

Joelpagett

Mega Poster
There is part of me that think this looks awesome, there is also a part of me can't help but think they've really just carbon copied rides and attractions from their other parks, and just altered the theme slightly. It's a shame, as there is so much material you could work with.

Ben

CF Legend
The Waterworld show is so ****ing great. Put it everywhere!

I think it looks amazing, I’m so excited. It’ll likely be a smash if Disney is anything to go by so I’m sure it’ll rapidly expand as well.

Lofty

CF Legend
More shots of Decepticoaster taken from Gregory Hall's (Art Director for Universal Creative) LinkedIn feed.

Also, a shot of 'Bumblebees Boogie', the teacup ride for the area. Which, I may add, is so ****ing cute.

Link: LINKEDIN

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Earthquake stuff would make sense, but then I'd ask why the B&M supports aren't so busy.
I'm no structural engineer, but from my experience (admittedly no projects in China, but Middle East and Southeast Asia) the seismic design often has to be proven by dynamic simulation. So there could be lots of things at play - the shaping of the track, size of the track, size of the existing supports (possibly even that Hulk is designed with hurricane wind loading, which may mean the supports are already beefy enough by coincidence), the specific positioning of the supports, weight of the trains, etc. Comparing a B&M multi-looper to a Mack family coaster is a tough thing to do at the best of times, let alone without knowing the specifics.

Although I agree, a perfectly reasonable explanation could also be that more theming is/was intended.

cocoa

Mega Poster
i'm not 100% convinced those are permanent. if so, absolutely terrible. but they look like construction scaffolding

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think I'm going to have to ask ... has this park opened?

RCDB lists an opening date of July 5, which was yesterday. Or May 7, if it follows the stupid date format. But I can't find any mentions of an opening event, or opening hours, or any sort of announcement. News of a soft opening in late May has also been floating around, but we're past that and social media isn't exactly going bananas. There's a Twitter hashtag for #universalstudiosbeijing, which is only filled by construction updates from various theme park blogs. It hasn't seen activity in two weeks.

Meanwhile, this extremely picture-heavy Themeparx thread seems to picture somebody visiting the resort. It's not very crowded, though, which you'd expect from a full opening.

So, uh, what's going on? They seem to be really close to opening without having made any sort of fuss about it. Or is opening still months away?

Rein

Roller Poster
Still waiting for the official announcement, but it looks like there will be some test openings from July 26 and trail operations from August 5 according to this schedule:

Weibo.png

ubr.jpg