What's new

Universal Orlando | Skull Island: Reign of Kong | Unknown

peep

CF Legend
Obviously at the moment the new Harry Potter area is under construction at the Studios park but what does the Resort have planned past this year?

The new CityWalk expansion will be ongoing, several new restaurants have recently opened including a new Mexican restaurant and a Stone Cold Creamery (*drools*).

http://orlandounited.com/universal-announces-citywalk-expansion-plans-for-2014/

In the Studios park we could be seeing a retheme of the Kidszone area (where E.T. is located). What theme it'll get and when it'll happen hasn't been suggested but within the next few years is sounding like a reasonable time frame. Apparently Disaster is on the chopping blocks, what will replace it is unknown.

However all the excitement at the moment seems to be over at Islands of Adventure....

Several projects have apparently been greenlit with fan informant HatetoFly posting recently the following:

JP 2015
Kong 2016
Plus more projects on going within IOA during both of these projects.

In the Jurassic Park area they recently closed off the Triceratops area (apparently a poor walkthrough where you met some animatronics). What is replacing it is still heavy rumours (which is odd considering the timeframe provided) but there will apparently be several new attractions including an E-ticket sized attraction. As with any rumours of this sort they do change from time to time as more info is leaked through the grapevine but HatetoFly tends to be rather spot on with his info.

A new King Kong ride is even more exciting though. Although shorter it will be on the same level of epicness as the new Gringotts ride in terms of effects. In a podcast he unveiled a rough idea of the entire ride layout (he's done similar for Gringotts), it sounds exciting...

Two connected vehicles
“Driver/guide” in first vehicle
4-6 people per row
5-6 rows in first vehicle
7-8 rows in 2nd
Enter attraction through giant gates/old ruins left of Thunder falls terrace (where T-Rex Photo op is)
go underground through ruins/temple. Heavily themed
go upstairs/top of temple to ride load area (outdoors)
scenes 1-3 are outdoors
3-4 transition indoors through wall
4a,4b,5 indoors
5-6 transitions back outside
“Very unique” bonus scene after unload.

4a (insect chasm) has 4 active AAs, + multiple insect projections. (Scorpions, centipedes, dragonflies)

4b vehicle loses (control) into a cave (bat cave)
Scene 5 is the major scene with Kong (large number of projectors in this scene)
Scene 6 will have something physical that a lot of people will be happy to see

He's also been very active on twitter recently posting things like the below...

https://twitter.com/hatetofly/statuses/438015685005148160

https://twitter.com/hatetofly/statuses/437723031390019584

486a5ed3-5305-47a7-8fc5-c6236122afbb.jpg

Above is a recent aerial photo taken by Bill on BGT fans. The picture was accompanied by this...

What you can't see is the fence line has been extended in the brush line, tree demo markers are popping up, utility lines labeled and some even relocated, and so on. Ladies and Gentleman the King returns…

So yeah, lots of construction is starting that isn't related to Harry Potter. It's a very exciting time at the Universal park and they sure are throwing money at new additions and makeovers at the moment. I think I read that even though the new hotel they're building isn't finished there is talk of construction starting on a new one.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Re: Universal Orlando - What's Next?

The attraction I have always pitched, and may do so again in Theme Park Studios, is an Intamin Aqua Launch themed to the greatest Kevin Costner movie involving post apocalyptic world, covered in water....WATER WORLD.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster

I always thought it'd be cool to do a fast and furious car coaster attraction. But both parks already have a launch coaster, and that'd probably be what it would be, but I just like the idea. Isn't that attraction rumored for USH?

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster

I like the idea of the JP work and the possible addition of King Kong I think that would be really good.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Universal Orlando | Kong Attraction

I've decided to hijack this topic and make it about the Kong attraction as Pixels at the Parks have posted more photos and a fly-over video.

Kong-015-600x399.jpg

Kong-009.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZqS0rwzO4[/youtube]

marc

CF Legend
Re: Universal Orlando | King Kong Attraction | Unknown

I sort of wish they would not build this and wait for the new films to come out and build a Dino attraction in that area. After all that area is based on a certain film franchise.

Lofty

CF Legend

Is it just me or is that area really not that large of an area? I know this isn't going to take over a huge vast area, but to fit all of the attributes mentioned in, I just don't know if the area seems a bit small?!

peep

CF Legend

I agree, it does seem a little small. Apparently it'll be like Transformers in that it's multi level so maybe that's how they're cramming in so much?

The rumours of a Jurassic park expansion are that it's been put on hold, I assume to see how the new film does first?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Robbie

Hyper Poster

Universal's new King Kong film has been officially announced and will be called Skull Island. Released in 2016, but presumably this attraction will be ready before then.

marc

CF Legend

I watched the pov of the one in California.

Will be interested to see if it's the same type of thing and how it will work.

Must say the 360 one looked great but as a short drive through attraction.

So yeah looking forward to seeing how it turns out and what they are going to do.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

A lot of fly-over photos have been posted on jakeadventures.com showing just how big this attraction is going to be and this strange steel structure protruding out of the front of the building:

dsc_0148.jpg

dsc_0043.jpg

dsc_0044.jpg

dsc_0048.jpg

dsc_0152.jpg

dsc_0024.jpg

dsc_0065.jpg

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

I don't get why they're building a Kong attraction. Surely it would make a lot more sense for it to be a Jurassic World ride?

marc

CF Legend

Crazycoaster said:
I don't get why they're building a Kong attraction. Surely it would make a lot more sense for it to be a Jurassic World ride?

My thoughts as well I just don't get the logic in this. I guess it's just s near copy of the California version.

Universal get so much praise as of late but the parks are near enough copies of each other. It's a quick way to add rides but very repetitive.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Probably a loose tie-in to the Godzilla vs. King Kong movie back who knows when.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Universal Orlando | King Kong Attraction | Unknown

The new King Kong film comes out in 2 years, so this will tie in with that. It's a reboot of the franchise that will probably at some point have another fight with Godzilla.

Ben

CF Legend

I'm confused, do we really have any idea what this will be?

Does anyone know how much it's costing?

I do find it weird that more than a decade after taking out Kongfrontation, they're doing this, and it's not an IP that I would say is particularly relevant, but, it could be good. Depending on what it is, of course.

marc

CF Legend
Universal Orlando | King Kong Attraction | Unknown

It's meant to be the same as the California version, well based on it anyway.

Not sure how as thats part of the tour.

Tbh I thought it looked good but reviews are bad.

This ride will open 2015 the is why I think they should have gone for a dinosaur ride not King Kong.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

The King Kong 360 part of the tram tour is pretty awful. Hopefully, this massive effort doesn't turn into a copy, or near copy, of that.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Today's announcement and it is 2016.

340-poster-blog.jpg
Over the past 25 years, Universal Orlando has created some of the world’s most incredible entertainment experiences by combining emotional storytelling, timeless characters and innovative ride technologies. Today, we honor one of the most monumental figures in movie history, King Kong, with the announcement of a groundbreaking attraction opening in the summer of 2016 at Universal’s Islands of Adventure – “Skull Island: Reign of Kong.”

Skull-Island-Reign-of-Kong-Main-Image_LR1-1170x731.jpg

You’ll navigate perilous jungles, explore ancient temple structures and encounter hostile natives – and that’s only the beginning. Throughout the rest of your excursion, you’ll brave foreboding caves crawling with prehistoric creatures, fend off unspeakable terrors – and even come face-to-face with the colossal Kong himself.
When we began conceptualizing the next great attraction for Universal Orlando Resort, one prevailing thought rose to the top of our minds. How do we make the experience MASSIVE? The sets, the characters and even the story itself. All of it will be larger than life.

Skull-Island-Reign-of-Kong-Entrance_LR_ADJ-cropped.jpg

The challenge is also to tell the next generation of the Kong legend, all while delivering an unparalleled, revolutionary theme park experience guests have come to expect from Universal. We have done exactly that with Reign of Kong – you’ll be pulled into a powerful, intense fight for survival as you discover a side of the iconic beast that has never been revealed…until now.

kong-featured.jpg

Source: http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/reign-of-kong/

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GMrji6rp-4[/youtube]