What's new

Two random questions about Mako at SeaWorld Orlando

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Just made this thread to ask two random questions about a roller coaster that I absolutely adore; Mako at SeaWorld Orlando! The ride is my current number 1 coaster and I've loved it since that very first ride on 23rd August 2016! Anyway, my two questions are:
  • Does anyone know how steep the first drop is? I've heard 80 degrees quoted somewhere, but I heard someone else say that the drop isn't as steep as Shambhala's, which is 77.4 degrees according to RCDB.
  • For any Orlando locals or people who have ridden Mako a lot over the 2 years it's been operating; has there been any major change in the ride's speed that you have noticed, such as a change in wheels or the ride's trim and MCBR being softened? Only asking because reviews of the ride seem far more positive now than they were in the ride's opening year.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
Hi guys. Just made this thread to ask two random questions about a roller coaster that I absolutely adore; Mako at SeaWorld Orlando! The ride is my current number 1 coaster and I've loved it since that very first ride on 23rd August 2016! Anyway, my two questions are:
  • Does anyone know how steep the first drop is? I've heard 80 degrees quoted somewhere, but I heard someone else say that the drop isn't as steep as Shambhala's, which is 77.4 degrees according to RCDB.
  • For any Orlando locals or people who have ridden Mako a lot over the 2 years it's been operating; has there been any major change in the ride's speed that you have noticed, such as a change in wheels or the ride's trim and MCBR being softened? Only asking because reviews of the ride seem far more positive now than they were in the ride's opening year.
I heard 70 degrees somewhere, which would fit, but upon research, it oddly dosen’t appear to be listed anywhere. Except for a site which thinks it’s a 45 degree drop...
I can’t tell you how it’s running.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
The trim after the turn around is set based off the previous train (similar to the Intamin hydraulic launch?) If you're lucky enough to get a trim free cycle, the train after will get it hard but the next after that should get it pretty mild. Working my other job with leads from Mako and opening team members.... Each trains first cycle will for the day will go trimless... So opening rides are a reliable way of getting a trimless or low trim ride, same for any cycle after as sort of downtime / reset, as the trim would be recycling / recalibrating.
As far as the MCBR goes I'm not sure what determines it's force, but I've never had it clamp hard on any of my rides (unlike the trim, where I've had it completely plant me back in the seat)

Matt N

CF Legend
Thank you very much, guys!

To tell you all the truth, I never noticed Mako's trim or MCBR in any of the 3 rides I had on it while in Florida. Oddly, reviews stemming from the ride's opening seem to criticise the trim and the MCBR far more than recent reviews.