What's new

TR:USA October'16 : SFoG/Dollywood/FunSpot/HHN/Seaworld/Universal/BuschGardensTampa/H-o-S

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Really good report as always!

I was very disappointed by Kong.

Agreed about the Simpsons Area, it is very well done and there are so many Simpsons in jokes.

davidm

Strata Poster
Wednesday 12th October

So today was a bit of a repeat of stuff ; Universal and HHN so I will not waffle too much I think.

Wanted to do Kong again at IoA and I hadn't ridden new-Hulk yet either so headed over there in the morning.

Just for anyone's reference, if you are walking into Universal you just join up with the foot-traffic from the parking structures - the
way in I was going put me at the valet parking, so you just did the metal-detector routine there and you were good to go.

Wandered into the place and grabbed some breakfast at the coffee shoppe in the entrance street thingy, much better than yesterdays
TGIs effort anyway. Hulk was running OK today so took some snaps before heading over to Kong.

Spite-cred again;

Kong's Q was much less the second time and I sat nearer the right-side so could see big-Kong animatronic better at the end ; all very
clever but not really a must-do sort of thing.

Prophetic pic of a Dragon?... EXIT soon?

Rode both sides of this, you know just in case the rules ever change (could only remember riding one side ever before)

And Cat in the Hat is amusing as well;

Get a couple of rides on Incredible Hulk then - the ride itself I can't sayI noticed anything substantially better/different
with it from old-Hulk. New effects in the Q and on the launch tunnel were nice enough and the ride itself is still very good (even if it
still suffers a bit from a spectacular start but a bit of a deadish-ending)

Stocked up on some food and beer at CityWalk then, before heading into the studios.

Rode a few of the rides I'd skipped the day before then,

Q for Simpsons was a bit huge so skipped that, shame as I do quite like it.

After killing a few hours at the studios it was shutting down for HHN - mindful of the previous visit's somewhat Q-heavy visit I'd
bought an ExpressPass and also Q'd up in the cattle-pen inside the park (they scan your entry ticket, then keep you kettled in an area
so that they can clear the park, then they let you in from the kettled-zone ahead of the peeps waiting outside the park). Upshot was
that could walk straight into the (non-express) Q for American Horror Story with very few people ahead of you.

And so a bit 'ahead' of the hoardes of punters, could do quite a few of the houses in the regular Q with only a few minutes wait - so
I did several before the normal Qs were getting more than ~15-20 mins and then went off to see the Bill&Ted show.

I like Bill&Ted (the movies) a LOT. Had seen the show a few years earlier and it was funny. This years was too - very good I thought,
lot of culture-jokes, some nice references, Trump jokes and the like. Enjoyed it.

Started using the express pass thereafter and did all the houses using that and got a nice ride on Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit
as well which was cool. Managed to hand around the event until the early hours - MUCH more relaxed than the previous visit, time to
ride the Gringotts thing again - place looked splendid in the dark.

So HHN then ; very good. Need to do it at least twice I think - need an ExpressPass definitely if you are only doing it once, I was
happy enough having an Express one night and Q-ing another though.

--

And heres some processed pics of the Potter-Wyvern thingy from earlier in the day;

(need to take a good camera I think to get some proper good shots, but I'd left that at home! :) )

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The first two of those processed shots are lovely! Who says you don't need a big camera?! ;)

I'm not hugely into a lot of Halloween stuff, scare mazes and that kind of thing are really my cup of tea (maybe I'm a bit of a wimp?), but HHN does always look so incredible...

davidm

Strata Poster
Who says you don't need a big camera
Well quality ain't great if you blow them up much! ;)

--

Thursday 13th October

As well as a couple of nights at HHN, I wanted to do the Busch event too and so had sorted a front-of-line pass thingy for it
this evening. But since I needed to be in Tampa for that, I went over and spent the day(ish) at Busch Gardens Tampa, which is
always a good park ; possibly the most "me" park of the Florida ones, in that its much more like the places I like than the Orlando
parks (even if the Orlando ones are pretty spectacular in places themselves).

I wasn't really in a rush to get there or to rush around the place - was going to be a long day anyway if the evening event was
going to be busy I figured (and with an hour+ drive afterwards to get back) and I've done BGT a few times before, so was just going to
spend the time meandering around.

I had two new things to do though, the new-ish drop tower and the new family coaster ; obviously headed to the cred first but it was down for
some unspecified reason, so made my way to the drop tower instead.

Pausing only to pay respects at Rhino Rally

and watch the elephants for a while :)

New-ish tower is quite impressive ; very huge and bang in the middle of the park.

Face-down position is a interesting novelty and a bit unsettling in the moments before the drop (for me anyway)

Drop itself is good, but not sure the face-down added much to that few seconds.

Anyway a better drop ride than the one at Williamsburg (just to compare rides in the same chain).

Since I was there anyway (the drop ride is in the old Timbuktu area, now renamed Pantopia for some reason) - had a ride on the always
splendid Scorpion

and the less than splendid Sand Serpent (which I'm pretty sure I had not even bothered with on my previous few visits here)

Carrying on around the park I made my way to Kumba, which is one of the great old school B&Ms. And it felt it a bit to be
honest, the transitions being a bit clunky compared to super smooth modern B&Ms.

But its still just lovely isn't it?

Bit further around the big loop that you have to take to get around the park is the next B&M, SheiKra - which is also rather
nice of course

Honestly, how anyone can still rate Oblivion as good after being on one of these big beasts ; kidding themselves I think. ;)

A moments silence for the fallen.

Thought it a bit strange that they had named a whole bunch of stuff after their old coaster that they had spent so many years trying
to ignore (my last visit here was before it closed, but it was not running that day, previous visit it was only running one side, so I
think I only ever visited once when both sides were "up" and that would have been 2004)

Done a lap of the park, by now then, but new-cred was still down - starting to get worried now...

Consoled myself with a couple of rides on the excellent Montu instead then

followed swiftly by a couple more on Cheetah Hunt, which I'd ridden before but enjoyed a lot more this time I think (although
do recall the horrible shoulder restraints giving me serious pain at the end of the second ride - back row)

The chair-lift thing next to Cheetah Hunt was not running either, so needed to take the train to see a lot of the animals out on the
Serengeti area. That also killed a lot of time.

Happily the new-cred was running by the time I'd train-ed around the animals for a while, so made my way into Cobra's Curse

Q-area was pretty cool ; main holding area has this big snake thing mounted on the wall

Every now and then it all goes bonkers (projection mapping and lots of sound effects) then settles back down quiet again for while
(occasionally some of the characters on the wall would do something), then it would all go bonkers again with fire and evil curses
and the like. Nicely done anyway.

Loading was on a conveyor belt system - never been totally convinced that these help, but the line was moving fairly consistently I
guess.

Ride is fun, but as a "family coaster" nothing too great. Big snake thing is cool, but doesn't do anything (apart from a bit of
audio when you reach its mouth) - actually the vertical lift is pretty cool.

The spinning is controlled for the most part ; its fixed for the first third of the ride, then controlled spin for the next bit (you
go up a bit of a conventional lift hill part way through the ride) and only free spin for the last bit I think.

Anyway, good fun solid family (filler?) coaster.

--

Needed to get some food before the Howl-o-Scream event started, but a lot of the normal food places were closing down
as the park closed down - then I spotted that there was some event-themed buffet thing going on in the big eating hall place in the
middle of the park - for something like $20 this was an all-you-can-eat buffet thing for an hour, a run through of one of the event
shows Fiends while you ate, and a time-limited front-of-line pass wristband (in fact also 1/2 hour early entry to the houses too). So despite
me already shelling out for the fastpass option anyway I did that.

Show thing was kinda-election themed (how topical), some guff about various monsters being elected monster-president. Oh the Irony.
Was OK, even if big song and dance shows aren't really my thing - could stare at the sexy-zombie-nurses for a while at least though.

The event opened at 7:30, but with the early entry wristband I had acquired could enter stuff at 7 instead.

Q for the first house I did Zombie Mortuary, walked past this Q straight into it though.

Was OK - zombies in a mortuary obviously. Very budget though, especially compared to the HHN standard (unfair to compare to that I
guess) but probably sub-standard compared to the SixFlags ones as well. That comment applies to all of the houses to be honest too,
all the actors had to do their own screaming, which inevitably leads to a huge variation quality and enthusiasm from them. Wasn't
expecting the very scripted HHN-type audio, but perhaps some actor-triggered effects would have been good.

Next up was a new-for-2016 house The Black Spot - this was a lot better than the Zombie one (I hadn't realised that
most of the houses were repeats from previous years either) - was something to do with a pirates and the like. Had to walk through
one of the scare-zones to get to that house too, and they were actually very well done - probably better than the scare-zones at
HHN to be honest, possibly because they were not as busy (you really can't get away from crowds at HHN) so were a bit more than just
a load of scare-actors wandering through the crowds but actually hiding and jumping out and stuff.

Another thing that worked well for Busch was that you could even be alone in the park at places, and then there were also the odd
scare actor hiding in the bushes and such - saw a lot of them ahead before it got too dark but one or two really caught me out - one
especially on a little bungee swing thing which meant he could leap out of the bushes at just above head height - much surprise.
They used that trick in a couple of the houses too to good effect, probably would have been better if they used it a little less
though as once you'd seen three or four bungee-swing-scare-actors jumping out of you from behind a wall it got a little repetitive. :)

The gates to that "Gwazi Park" were open by now (was still using my fastpass wristband but the normal Qs had opened and while not
super busy probably had a 20min Q) - the goon in me was geekily interested as you could walk past a bit of Gwazi to get to the
next house Circus of Superstition (but more about Gwazi-geekdom in a bit). This was a Chromadepth (3D glasses) job
and it was a bit poor - scary clowns (yawn) and the like - forgettable.

Think I did another new-for-2016 house next ; Motel Hell and I kinda liked this one - lots of nasty happenings
in a spooky motel, but seemed to me a lot of thought had gone into this one in terms of riffing on various motel-themes, dead people
in the laundry, corpses in the swimming pool etc.

Not far away was Death Water Bayou, and this was good too - good sets (enter thru the house in the pic below) and
some spooky voodoo business going on.

The last house was Unearthed and was probably the best one. Geekily best because it was built inside Gwazi's Q line.
You actually walked through Gwazi's station and across a little bridge over the coaster tracks on your way into the house.

The house was some haunted excavation, unearthed evil spirits type affair. (They should have gone for haunted roller coaster IMHO though)

There was one other headline-attraction ; Zombie Containment Unit - but that didn't even appeal to me ; was a laser-quest type
shooter (with Zombies) it seemed. So I didn't do that.

I had done all of the houses in the 90 minutes my food-based-fastpass had given me so had not even used the fastpass I'd paid for -
so on principle I then used that to ride some coasters in the dark ; didn't need it for Montu or Cobras Curse but used it anyway, it
did save me about 10 mins Q for Cheetah Hunt, which was quite different in the dark - out in the serengeti area in the dark was cool.

SheiKra was the only big Q I skipped with the pass though - probably an hours Q at that point (which I found very odd as virtually
everything else had minimal Qs). I tried to use the fastpass on another walk through the Motel Hell house, but there was not even a
regular Q to skip at that point so that pleasure was lost on me too.

Having got everything done a LOT earlier than I thought I was going to I headed back to Orlando.

So overall the event ; was OK, not great. Considering it was an upcharge event I had expected more from it, obviously not as much as
the HHN experience but significantly more than the SixFlags experience and it wasn't significantly better in quality than FrightFest -
it had a bit more quantity than FrightFest I guess.

Not sure I'd bother going back to it either (considering each year is mostly a repeat rather than new), definitely wouldn't bother
with a paid-for FastPass if I did (but definitely would bother with the food/fastpass option).

--

OK nearly done now, just one more day to get through... ;)

Silly pic of Kumba until then though;

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Definitely doesn't sound as good as HHN, but Busch does look nice.

Not sure how I feel about Cobra's Curse. I feel like Busch had an almost flawless line up (at least, it felt like that to my 14 year old self) with the three monster B&Ms, but they've now got two fairly major filler rides in Cheetah Hunt and Cobra's Curse. I think I had a point at the start of that sentence, but can't remember it now...

Nice report, thanks. :)

davidm

Strata Poster
Cheetah Hunt is worthy enough, Cobras was only ever a family ride tho' ; BGT is still one of the good parks IMHO (despite the woody spite!).

davidm

Strata Poster
Friday 14th October

I didn't really have anything much planned for my last full day in Orlando - in fact originally I was thinking to get a flight back today
but figured I might as well just mooch around the place for an extra day or keep it spare if I managed to miss anything that I wanted
to do (which I hadn't).

So, since I like them big wheels, I headed off to the Orlando Eye - which to be honest I thought was going to be a bit crap, stuck
in the middle of I-Drive with just hotels and freeways to look at.

Theres a Madame Tussauds and a SeaLife in the same complex, the advertising for Tussauds not keeping up with the recent celeb gossip;

Got a combo ticket for the Eye and the Sealife (I like the fishes too) ; awesome batching area for the Eye;

Little pre-show video was endured for a while (a 3D glasses job) and the loading, it wasn't busy at all but they still stuck me in
cabin with 3 girls taking selfies all the time.

Views of the car park not too promising then;

But as you got higher you could see interesting stuff ; Volcano Bay construction for example

Coasters too;

Even Disneyworld (at a bit of a zoom) ; Epcot and the Swan/Dolphin hotels side on I assume;

So the views were a lot more interesting than I thought they were going to be

The Orlando Eye - not as crap as you think its going to be! Who knew!

Although the views East over the huge Lockheed factory gives an idea of how much space there is in Orlando not given over to the
tourist tat.

Seaworld not too far away either;

Exit thru the gift shop of course

Awesome 7D ride in the foyer (too many Ds for me that)

Headed into the little Sealife next

Aquarium pics are usually crap with a decent camera, so no change here

Not a bad little place ; been in worse Sealifes (Mall of America springs to mind)

Grabbed some lunch (had managed to kill a couple of hours on the Eye and the with the fishes) and sat outside for a while.

Did a bit of mooching around then, wandered round some local malls for a while - for some reason I have a morbid fascination with the
big empty mall at the top of I-Drive so always try to drop in there (the one with the BassPro store attached). The first time I was here
(2004) it was a fully functioning mall, just a bit quiet. Next time (2007) it was a clearly failing mall with a lot of empty units.
Next time (2010) same. Next time (2012) was empty, couple of big anchor places (the BassPro still open and a skate park) but little
else.

This time it had been sold, gutted and reopened as the "Artegon Marketplace" - most of the shop units were gone (or closed off, only
half the mall was open) and replaced with pop-up type stalls (in fairness quite a LOT of them).

Even had a new looking ropes course in the main area

And a trampoline place

One of the few (apart from BassPro) proper shops was a comic-book-geekery type place, which was vast and quite interesting for a few
minutes anyway

But what the place still didn't have was ANY PUNTERS. Ha ha ha.

Anyway since I've been back it seems the place has been sold again but this time maybe to someone who is going to build a theme park
on the site!?!?! See screamscape

Headed back to Universal and wandered around IoA for a while with my 360 camera (until the battery died which was annoying)

(you'll have to click through to flickr to get these to work in 360)

then had to revert to normal camera for a bit;

Figured I needed some food & beer then, initially achieved at the JimmyBuffets place

Which was heaving, but again if you just sit at the bar can get served immediately

Followed by just wandering around CityWalk in the evening, beer or margarita in hand :)

So that was Orlando done for a while...

Next day (Saturday 15th) was just travel home - burdenous Orlando - Newark - Manchester trip, but the bit of Newark that I ended up
spending a couple of transfer hours waiting at was much nicer than the bit that I had spent similar hours waiting at on the way out -
so at least that was a bit nicer.

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
Final Score

Six Flags over Georgia
Batman The Ride
Blue Hawk
Dahlonega Mine Train
Dare Devil Dive
Georgia Cyclone
Georgia Scorcher
Goliath
Great American Scream Machine
Joker Funhouse Coaster
Mind Bender
Superman - Ultimate Flight

Gatlinburg
Ski Mountain Coaster
Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster

Pigeon Forge
Coaster at Goats on the Roof
Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster

Dollywood
Blazing Fury
FireChaser Express
Lightning Rod
Mystery Mine
Tennessee Tornado
Thunderhead
Wild Eagle

Georgia National Fair
Wild Mouse
Indy 500
Orient Express
Wacky Worm
Galaxy

Funspot America
Sea Serpent
White Lightning
Freedom Flyer

SeaWorld
Journey to Atlantis
Kraken
Mako
Manta
Shamu Express

Universal Studios
Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts
Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit
Revenge of the Mummy
Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster

Islands of Adventure
Dragon Challenge:Chinese Fireball
Dragon Challenge:Hungarian Horntail
Flight of the Hippogriff
Incredible Hulk

Busch Gardens Tampa
Cheetah Hunt
Cobras Curse
Kumba
Montu
Sand Serpent
Scorpion
SheiKra

Thats a nice round (including the Alpines) 50 coasters :)
Only +12 though (we don't really count Alpines do we)

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Excellent final section and a not a bad final count either! Colour me inspired!

I do quite like the 360 images, they're fun to scroll around. Plus you can play "Spot the Morton"... ;)

davidm

Strata Poster
Camera was on the floor at least - mostly to try to keep it still enough to take a picture in low-light.
The 360 camera works best when its on a stick (selfie stick thing) so you can get some distance between you and the camera otherwise you end up with "big arms" in the picture - so that one would have been me waving the camera on the end of a selfie stick above my head - the two fisheye lenses in the camera combine the image and make the stick vanish in the finished photo.