What's new

Toy Story Land for Disney's Hollywood Studios

AJ

Giga Poster
^ They're for the new evening show that AK is receiving. It's going to be a fountain/light/muted fireworks* show in a 'natural arena' style setting, with the Tree Of Life receiving LED leaves for said show in due course. Night show means a later opening for Animal Kingdom!

*no bangs, similar to those used in Disney Dreams at DLRP.

peep

CF Legend
Yeah, rivers of light show should be debuting early next year. With later openings planned they've had to add a lot more lighting around the whole park and are also planning a new night safari with some additional animals.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Martyn B

CF Legend
Sounds cool, but there's nowhere near enough to do at the park to warrant late openings.

Is it official that Pandora will just have a boat ride and a Soarin style simulator?

peep

CF Legend
Yep. Pretty much confirmed. I'd agree that the park isn't really a full day park but opening when it's dark does add a new element to the park, experiencing everest at night etc. I think with late opening and avatar it will become a full day experience.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Ethan

Strata Poster
Might sound dumb, but how do fireworks with no sound work? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
^I tried looking it up, but I came with no definitive answer. Probably some new Disney technology that'll 'shake' the industry.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
There are plenty of existing fireworks that don't go off with a bang. I'm really not getting the confusion.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
^Well, if they were silent, obviously you didn't! :lol:

Ethan said:
Might sound dumb, but how do fireworks with no sound work? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing?

Not that I'm a chemist or anything, but I guess it's simply a matter of slower ignition. Fireworks make a bang because a shock wave is produced when the charge goes off, spreading the sparkly powder in every direction. If you manage to spread the sparkling stuff in some other way, you wouldn't have that bang. Not sure how they'd do that, but it could be possible by packing the sparkly powder in a tight compartment and then gradually increase the pressure somehow, like tearing two small holes in a bag of flour and blowing hard into one of them. Having some sort of pressure-release mechanism (like a balloon filled to bursting) could also work, but it wouldn't be possible to create large sparkly plumes that way.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Pay attention to most firework displays, there'll always have some that don't make any noise....

Anyway, this was the best pic I could get over the wall:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
So apparently the Slinky Dog coaster is going to be a Mack Launcher.

.eJwVxQEKgCAMAMC_-ABnamn-RkwsqCZuQRH9vYKDu8XRVhHEzFwpAEwLJWyTJMYWS5YFsaw51oVkwg0ic0zzlncm6IbR2492treuV06DHv23N__GO9UpqA3PS9a9iOcFxUIiJw.nzNw-2Y_7rnmBrRqOygMf98lNYM

Quite excited for this now!

As long as they don't get RC Racer, I'm happy :p . A Mack launcher sounds like a much better alternative. I don't understand all the hate for Toy Story Land? Yeah, it looks kinda of tacky and cheap but it definitely falls in line with the whole Toy Story theme, and generally I think they nailed it in both Disney parks that have it thus far.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Intimidator 30.5
This is a strange one though, it seems very "conventional" for a Disney coaster.
Their kiddy coasters are very conventional. Just a few roller skaters scattered across the various parks. Then you've got a regular Wild Mouse at California Adventure and those Reverchon spinners at Animal Kingdom.