What's new

Top Manufacturers -- Euro v. N. Amer. Views

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't want to take exaggerated umbrage over what might be a casual turn of phrase, but "needs a new hobby" is a bit harsh -- and I don't think it can fairly be said about any fan of coasters. CoasterBot is quite young and, I think by his own admission, hasn't ridden much -- and he's ridden nothing outside of Britain, I think.
It was indeed a turn of phrase. I'm not sure why Jay even brought him up as the GP who have only ridden UK coasters may well think it's the best, hell, I know loads of GP who love it. No respected enthusiast would have it anywhere near their number 1 is all. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
How can you have it as your number 1 when you've not been on it? You're putting it on a pedestal when in reality it's incredibly mediocre.
I've been on it in some way. Google allowed VR on YouTube so I decided to watch a POV on it in VR.

So I kinda sorta rode it?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Mack

Mega Poster
I have Smiler as my #1 but never really ridden it. Damn you flight fees!

How can it be your #1, then? Like...... what? I saw your dad on xTube and now he's my #1 bottom.

Actually the best manufacturer is this Mack, not the German one. I rode the coasters I built in RCT1 in when I was 13 and they were the best. I mean I didn't really ride them but they were totally the best. Just trust me. It's the same as riding them.

Last edited:

TLARides

Hyper Poster
You absolutely have not been on it in any way shape or form.

Unless I've banged Kim Kardashian because I watched her sex tape?
We all have our definition of "I've ridden it."

Ben

CF Legend
No we don't.

'I have ridden' is a factual statement regarding the act of riding the Coaster in question.

As you have not taken a ride on the Smiler, you can not correctly say 'I have ridden'.

It's not a difference in opinion, it's fact versus fiction. It is a fact that you have not ridden The Smiler. You have experienced it virtually.

balrog

Mega Poster
So I kinda sorta rode it?
Ride
1. To transport oneself by sitting on and directing a horse, later also a bicycle etc
2. To be carried or supported by something lightly and quickly
3. To be transported in a vehicle; to travel as a passenger

What you see/hear or feel is irrelevant. You haven't rode anything if your ass did not make contact with the seat.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Ride
1. To transport oneself by sitting on and directing a horse, later also a bicycle etc
2. To be carried or supported by something lightly and quickly
3. To be transported in a vehicle; to travel as a passenger

What you see/hear or feel is irrelevant. You haven't rode anything if your ass did not make contact with the seat.
Okay, fine. I'm still counting it as a favorite by my own standards.

Mack

Mega Poster
No we don't.

'I have ridden' is a factual statement regarding the act of riding the Coaster in question.

As you have not taken a ride on the Smiler, you can not correctly say 'I have ridden'.

It's not a difference in opinion, it's fact versus fiction. It is a fact that you have not ridden The Smiler. You have experienced it virtually.
Oh, I get it. You're British. In America, we use alternative facts. Hehe.

Anyway, gotta text your dad and ask why he never calls.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Okay, fine. I'm still counting it as a favorite by my own standards.

Ok, it's your "favourite on your ride wish list" might have been a better way of putting it.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I agree with the first statement, and should add I'm American and my top 3 are Intamin, B&M and GCI (though as I ride more RMCs they are likely to get in there) so there ya go
I am not familiar enough with Europeans and their preferences, and being in the enthusiast community many love those companies as well. However I'd not be surprised if many had Mack in the top 3.
In your opinion has this seemed to be the case? If so, I think it's pretty simple: Here in the states we really dont have many Macks, and certainly they are not as prominent as the big 3, while in Europe it's much more so. I think that's all it really is.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Will piggyback off Ian's comment, it has been awesome to see quality coasters being produced by a variety of companies. How it's spread from just B&M and Intamin in the early 2000s (as well as CCI) to then Gravity Group, GCI going from standard twisters to top notch, RMC, Mack, Gerstlauer.
This is truly the next golden age we've been lucky enough to live through.

balrog

Mega Poster
I kind of have the feeling that we could condensate this whole thread in something like :
"- Hey guys, is Helix in Europe ?
- Yes, Helix is indeed in Europe"
Then some third party might point out that Blue Fire and Lost Gravity are also in Europe, but that's basically it.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Mack also has Alpina Blitz, Storm and Dwervelwind. Maybe they don't have a lot big coasters yet, but what they have is perfectly engineered. Glass smooth, the best trains in the industry and just sheer quality. That's their modern stuff at least.

balrog

Mega Poster
Mack also has Alpina Blitz, Storm and Dwervelwind. Maybe they don't have a lot big coasters yet, but what they have is perfectly engineered. Glass smooth, the best trains in the industry and just sheer quality. That's their modern stuff at least.
Exactly ! All those rides being in ... Europe. Problem solved.