What's new

Top Manufacturers -- Euro v. N. Amer. Views

TLARides

Hyper Poster
So you break the pattern, then. But you're in Ohio? Maybe soon RMC will squeeze its way into your top three ... ?
Never been on an RMC. I don't live close enough to CP. But maybe KI will open one in the coming years?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

jayjay

Giga Poster
Smiler is a Gerstlauer. Coincidence? ;)

B&M and Intamin are the most widespread "big coaster" companies in the world, so they'll get the global recognition. I wonder whether people tend to think of the status of companies on their average work or their best work. My #1 and #6 are Gerstlauer, but a great deal of their other rides are solidly in 6/10 land, so I wouldn't call them one of my favourites (especially so given that their two best rides have a common park). Intamin have a certain level of risk - they try a range of awful ideas (Zacspins) and amazing pieces (Taron), and people give them praise for it. Mack, B&M and RMC strike me as the most consistently high-quality companies lately, and Intamin have a sufficient arsenal of great rides to land in there too. But Mack haven't crossed to the US in a big way, and nor have RMC to Europe (bar Wildfire).

What I'm saying with this ramble, is that I've come to the same conclusion as the first post.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Ha, no-one who's ridden the Smiler has it as their number 1, no-one.
I can't believe Gerst are even being mentioned in this topic, 90% of their rides are filler or ghastly, they haven't built any world class rides. Have a word people.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I can't believe Gerst are even being mentioned in this topic, 90% of their rides are filler or ghastly, they haven't built any world class rides. Have a word people.
Hear, hear.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I used them up as an example of a company that has a small number world class rides (aside from Hansa, see also Mystery Mine and Karacho) but sod all otherwise. Do you judge a company by your favourites or by consistency, or maybe their role in the industry as a whole?

N.B. I have seen people who love The Smiler enough to claim it as near, or absolute favourite. Notably, Youtube producer Coasterbot, who produces the "what is?" series of videos.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I used them up as an example of a company that has a small number world class rides (aside from Hansa, see also Mystery Mine and Karacho) but sod all otherwise. Do you judge a company by your favourites or by consistency, or maybe their role in the industry as a whole?
Mystery Mine is my fave Gerstlauer, but it doesn't get into my top 20. Simply because there are many much better overall rides that that one, and they are all made by different, better manufacturers. So there's the favourite answer.
Apart from MM, there are a few rides that are OK, but that's the point, they are consistently just OK, and in many cases, disgusting. So there's the consistency answer.
N.B. I have seen people who love The Smiler enough to claim it as near, or absolute favourite. Notably, Youtube producer Coasterbot, who produces the "what is?" series of videos.
Sorry, the guy has no clue on quality rides and needs a new hobby. I appreciate people like you and Serena for example, who have a quirky fave ride, but to claim Smiler is the best ride ever ridden is ludicrous.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^I dunno, someone who really digs loops might like it?
Especially if that someone had only ever been to Alton Towers (on days when Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, Rita, Spinball and the Runaway Train are closed).
So yeah. Not ludicrous at all.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Smiler isn't even the best coaster in X-Sector...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^It is if Oblivion's closed.
7fa.jpg

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I think Gerstlauer has its fair share of great coasters. Shame everybody always forgets about Junker... (which is fantastic). And Kärnan seems to be great too. Honestly, the majority of Gerstlauers I've ridden are quite good. The launched coasters, the family coasters, the bobsleds. I'd still mention Mack as third best though. I personally even prefer them over Intamin so far.

Last edited:

jayjay

Giga Poster
The way it seems to work for me is that a Gerstlauer is either distinctly average, or amazing if it has two of the following:
  • Lapbars
  • Indoor section
  • Launch
For the record (and to attempt to sway this topic back on track), my answer to the question is an entirely unsurprising Intamin, B&M and Mack (in that order)

Lofty

CF Legend
For me, the best manufacturers are (in order):

Intamin.
B&M.
Mack.

I just find that Intamin's coasters pack much more of a punch than B&M coasters, and I like that. B&M produce some truly fantastic coasters and are extremely reliable in terms of they rarely create a 'miss' coaster (as in hit/miss). Mack produce some really great rides with great forces, but, I feel that their bigger coasters aren't as impactful as Intamin's, or B&M for that matter (albeit Helix is fab).

I'm sure RMC will be up there after the USA trip in a few weeks, but I feel as though they're going to have to produce quite a few more styles of coasters to even meet the levels of the other three named above.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Sorry, the guy has no clue on quality rides and needs a new hobby. I appreciate people like you and Serena for example, who have a quirky fave ride, but to claim Smiler is the best ride ever ridden is ludicrous.
I don't want to take exaggerated umbrage over what might be a casual turn of phrase, but "needs a new hobby" is a bit harsh -- and I don't think it can fairly be said about any fan of coasters. CoasterBot is quite young and, I think by his own admission, hasn't ridden much -- and he's ridden nothing outside of Britain, I think.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I have Smiler as my #1 but never really ridden it. Damn you flight fees!

Lofty

CF Legend
I have Smiler as my #1 but never really ridden it. Damn you flight fees!

How can you have it as your number 1 when you've not been on it? You're putting it on a pedestal when in reality it's incredibly mediocre.