What's new

Tom's lack of 2018 creds: Six Flags Fiesta Texas

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Warning, text heavy.

So this was supposed to be my biggest cred year yet. I was supposed to go to Europe (would have been preparing to fly home actually) but finances and lack of job security made that simply impossible. I'm making a career transition into teaching this fall, so my time off is restricted to attending job fairs, testing, and nothing fun. Anyways, 50 creds this year won't happen, but thankfully there are quite a few regional creds I'm missing, so let's start with the most exciting one!

Wonder Woman!

This is the first steel coaster I have been legitimately excited to ride since Maverick. RMC have, to an extent, ruined some coasters for me, so I was ecstatic to see the single rail concept come to life, especially only 5 hours away! Plus, I made the statement even an RMC wouldn't get me back to @Antinos favorite park in CGA ;)

So as testing started, I got more and more excited, and started looking into trips. I loved SFFT last year when I went, so there was no convincing me to get down there, it was issue of scheduling. I toyed with a long weekend to Austin/San Antonio, but the wife's work schedule is all weekends currently, so I called my good buddy Chris up, who used to be on here years ago, and it was quickly decided we were going.

After 2 hours of Dallas traffic going through downtown, we finally hit open Texas roads on Friday night. Austin traffic is cancer, but we hit the city at around 9, so it wasnt bad, and found a pizza place that was pretty solid. We finished the drive to San Antonio and arrived at our hotel at around 11:30 PM. I was running on 4 hours sleep, so I crashed immediately.

Apparently, I turned off my alarm and so I was woken up at 930 with a park open of 1030. We scrambled to get ready, and after a few minutes and grabbing some free breakfast, we were at the park by 10:10. Now, it was hot. Not 90 degree hot, but the high hit 107 hot with about 60% humidity. It was ****ing disgusting. When we pulled in the parking lot it was in the mid 90s. I have a membership but Chris doesn't, so I had to bum with the peasants to enter the park. Thankfully they let you into the main pathway and to the different split offs early, so we filtered in and then found gaps to get closer to the front of the growing mob. They dropped the rope at 10:30 and we were off, speed walking, again, heat and fat, to the farthest corner of the park and we were greeted to a closed ride.

Testing hadn't started and we were about 100 people back. Slowly they started sending trains out, and at about 11:10 we were finally allowed in the queue. Now, the queue is initially a long path, winding in shade to a smallish cattlepen, which then leads you under the turn into the station, to the stairs. We were right past the cattlepen, admiring how small the track was, how snappy the elements were, and just gooning out.

We were quickly in the station, and here is where I was thoroughly impressed. This staff is efficient and the station layout is very efficient. As you get up the stairs, you are greeted by 4 rows of 8 numbers on the ground, different colors. Basically, you are told, find an open square, and that's where you sit. Both of our rides, we were lucky enough to be at the front of the batching. Riders immediately went to the middle numbers though. We grabbed spots 1 and 2 for our first go. I sacrificed front for fear of a spite, as test seat was closer than I had hoped, and after all the lines were set. You were filed into the last section to wait, where you went just one row after the next.

So as you all know, the trains dont stop. There were a few spites, but still no train stoppage. Basically, the train enters and once it hits the block, an employee unlocks, that person gets out, and you get in. There are 2 employees at this point, one opening restraints, one collecting loose items. Very efficient. You get in, pull down the restraint, lock the belt, and then as you move down the station, another employee gives you the check. There is a lot of staff on this ride, but trains are dispatching about every 45 seconds. Constant movement.

I was able to buckle just fine, cred anxiety gone, and we were exiting the station, just the skinny track, and a very steep climb. About halfway up, the train slows until the previous hits the block, once it clears, you are pushed up pretty quick and are into the turnaround.

Then you hit the drop. It's not near the biggest, but it is ****ing intimidating. With how thin the rail is. It's a trip. In the front you hang. And hang. And hang. Then the rest of the train catches up and it doesn't stop. Going into the first inversion, strong ejector as you are thrown out of your seat and going down. This moment alone I knew my expectations were shattered. The pull out is intense, and then, the airtime hill. You know the one. Where initial reactions were it's going too fast. They ducked up the engineering. Well, they didnt. It was glorious. My feet were off the ground, my ass lost the seat, and that restraint was being strained to hold me in. It was sustained through the entire hill.

This is where I thought it would ease up. Nope. That turnaround section has you pinned to your seat, and as you exit, you are thrown right back out of your seat. The cutback is quick and smooth, more air and positive forces. Into the perfectly done corkscrew, and the final turn pins you down before you hit the final hill into the brakes and are out of your seat again. I was stunned. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I clapped. Which I don't do. But holy ****.

After we got off. We immediately headed back in line. It was significantly longer, up near the first inversion, but again, a great staff had us off in about 25-30 mins. Three trains with this station setup removed any doubt of capacity. I grabbed the true front and Chris got the back row. It was even better. After that ride it nudged Maverick to be at my #5. 4 of my top 5 are RMC and I have no shame.

At this point, we were soaked in sweat, and found a water station before hitting up Krypton. I loved this last year, but to be blunt, it sucked. It had a bad rattle, and the heat was kicking my ass at this point. We headed over to Iron Rattler, and waited about 25 mins. As mentioned before, I was concerned about Wonder Woman, but fit fine. I left my pockets fully loaded, and then I remembered it was the bulkier Gerstlauer restraints. I knew I was gonna get walk of shamed immediately, and was quickly told get lost. I know if I had handed my stuff to Chris I would've fit, but it still pisses me off as last year I didnt need even a push, so just gives me motivation again to lose more weight. Chris said it was better than his last go a few years ago so theres that.

I still needed the boomerang and freefly thing, but as the lines weren't moving, I said **** it, I'll be back later this year when its cooler, and bailed. It was just simply too hot. Plus, we had another stop on our way home, but I'll add that later.

Now, a photo dump.
0d4452f03063e5710dc37cd997cd3f07.jpg
2ce3511c26fc89acb7e74d29cdb2a450.jpg
78ef89ca907ece786f01610e4466a175.jpg
5338904ef6fdfbf9c307534ac89a9d14.jpg
5d7ee4b146d7d22d9f4f430c6844bb82.jpg
6b1b7376ab990ccbb0e2aae0d5444732.jpg
b0024a828baf704431f1916fbec58391.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk