What's new

TilenB's 2016: Skiing and Alpine Coasters

TilenB

Strata Poster
With 2016 in its dying stages and parks closing for the season, I've put together a bit of a short trip report/thoughts on the parks I've visited and coasters I've ridden in 2016.

Tarvisio/Monte Iussari ski resort:
In late February me and dad went accross the border to Italy for a day trip of skiing. I've been to the place quite a few times before, but was yet to ride their Alpine Coaster, which has opened at the start of 2014/15 winter season. We went on the ride with full skiing gear (although sans skis and poles :) ). One ride cost 4€ and it was a fun enough short break in the middle of a day of skiing. At the time, I was the first enthusiast on coaster-count that has ridden the thing, but since then, enough people have been there that my rare points were deducted to 6...

IMAG1491

IMAG1494

IMAG1496

IMAG1504

IMAG1514
And a POV (not by me):
There is also a small village on top of the mountain.

IMAG1520

Turracher Höhe and a small fair in Klagenfurt

A bit more than a month later, in early April, we've concluded our skiing season with a trip to Turracher Höhe. This resort was once the home of one of the very first Alpine Coaster, Einschienenrodelbahn, which operated from mid 80s to 2006.

onride-upic102809@640

http://onride.de/viewtopic.php?p=319819

In 2007 the coaster was replaced by a Wiegand built Nocky Flitzer. I've ridden the thing back in late 2012 and considering the steep price tag of a single ride (12,5€), I didn't fancy a re-ride this time round. Nevertheless, I did take some photos from the ski slope that runs parallel to the coaster track for most of the course.

Not much snow left in April...

IMAG1551

IMAG1556

If you look closely, you can see the coaster track in the lower deck.

IMAG1560

IMAG1562

IMAG1566

IMAG1568

IMAG1570
POV (not by me):

We went through the town of Klagenfurt on the way back, where I spotted a small fairground by the roadside. We went to investigate and the funfair turned out to be a part of a larger tourism-focused fair. They did have a Zamperla Dragon coaster, which was the first cred added to my count in 2016. After a short stroll around the stalls of the regular fairgrounds (the tourism focused part, that is), I've also caught a quick ride on the Afterburner before heading back to the car.

IMAG1573

IMAG1577

IMAG1578

IMAG1580

IMAG1579

IMAG1584

IMAG1585

IMAG1586

IMAG1587

IMAG1591

Last edited:

TilenB

Strata Poster
Oh wow I didn't know Alpine coasters operate in the snow too! Looks magical. Much better than skiing :p

I'd disagree with that last sentence, but I'm probably in the minority here. Wiegand Alpine Coasters mostly do operate in winter, while Brandauer's are often removed and put in storage during the winter season.