What's new

Thorpe Park or Alton Towers, 2010.

In your opinion which is the better park and why?

• Thorpe Park

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alton Towers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Why? Gonna expand on that at all?

And please... Thorpe better than Alton? :roll:

Thorpe can't get their rides open normally, Alton had minor problems on Saturday because it was raining...

Atmosphere, rides, theming, Alton has it all for everyone, Thorpe is only good for 4 rides...

Alton has Nemesis as well, so it beats Thorpe so easily...

Silly poll...

Daniel Bill Kent

Mega Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:

Yeah mate, it says in your opinion and why. ^

Nemesis Inferno said:
And please... Thorpe better than Alton? :roll:

Yeah mate, that's kind of what i said if you read the blurb at the top ..

Nemesis Inferno said:
Thorpe can't get their rides open normally, Alton had minor problems on Saturday because it was raining...

What are you on about? Heavy raining this Saturday just gone, and unless I was dreaming I got on every coaster in optimum time.

Nemesis Inferno said:
Atmosphere, rides, theming, Alton has it all for everyone, Thorpe is only good for 4 rides...

The theming is fine at Thorpe, name a ride of magnificant theming at Alton then please?

Nemesis Inferno said:
Alton has Nemesis as well, so it beats Thorpe so easily...

Silly poll...

Matter of opinion really, and if you can actually read, actually wait, take the time to read the poll question it says 'In your opinion'. Not trying to give out facts because you, a meer member of the CF forums cannot fully determine which one is better in a post.

By the way, that comment doesn't really make sense as your username is 'Nemesis Inferno', which is located at Thopre Park.

Gazza

Giga Poster
For me, it's going to have to be Thorpe Park so far this year.
Yeah mate, that's kind of what i said if you read the blurb at the top ..
I think what he means to say why do you, the topic starter, think Thorpe better than Alton. You never really gave your reasons.

I thought both parks were pretty decent, but if Alton was better (for me) in 2009, it stands to reason that it would be better in 2010, especially since Ugland got sorted out finally, and there is a decent new ride.
To me, Alton tended to have better versions of the stuff at Thorpe...A better invert, a better vertical-droppy-sorta-coaster, a better launcher, better powered coaster, better rapids, much more pleasant gardens and scenery, plus it had a great set of 'supporting acts', like Hex, Spinball, Battle Galleons and the like...Plus Alton has a flyer ( <3 )

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Daniel Bill Kent said:
Yeah mate, it says in your opinion and why

So where was your 'and why'?

What are you on about? Heavy raining this Saturday just gone, and unless I was dreaming I got on every coaster in optimum time.

How busy was it? Did the rides ALL open on time? Reading forums elsewhere, they didn't...

The theming is fine at Thorpe, name a ride of magnificant theming at Alton then please?

Hex... And if that's not good enough, Nemesis, Duel, Runaway Train, Mutiny Bay, Ripsaw, Blade, Oblivion...

Matter of opinion really, and if you can actually read, actually wait, take the time to read the poll question it says 'In your opinion'. Not trying to give out facts because you, a meer member of the CF forums cannot fully determine which one is better in a post.

So wait, a meer member of CF cannot fully determine which one is better in a post? Then what is the point of this poll?

By the way, that comment doesn't really make sense as your username is 'Nemesis Inferno', which is located at Thopre Park.

A username I chose when I first joined up in 2002... So yeah, times change, and I've never been arsed to get it changed... Why should my username make any difference to my comments on MY opinion?

You asked for MY opinion on which one is better no? I gave you it... With examples about why, more than you did...

Daniel Bill Kent

Mega Poster
Gazza said:
I think what he means to say why do you, the topic starter, think Thorpe better than Alton...

Ah, righty then, my reasons would be that I just simply enjoy the rides more, easier location for me, and a funner day out.

Daniel Bill Kent

Mega Poster
Nemesis Inferno said:
So where was your 'and why'?

Just posted it.

Nemesis Inferno said:
How busy was it? Did the rides ALL open on time? Reading forums elsewhere, they didn't...

Busy enough, and yes, they did, they all did.

Nemesis Inferno said:
Hex... And if that's not good enough, Nemesis, Duel, Runaway Train, Mutiny Bay, Ripsaw, Blade, Oblivion...

Magnificant?! Haha, Ripsaw? Blade? Oblivion? Wow, one persons idea of 'Maginificent' is very different to anothers.

Nemesis Inferno said:
So wait, a meer member of CF cannot fully determine which one is better in a post? Then what is the point of this poll?

You tried to shoot the whole pole down, I didn't ask wether or not you thought it was a 'silly poll' and the way you wrote your first post is as if you've had your head in your ass, better than anyone else's opinion.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I'm not sure if geographical location is really valid for comparing one park to another...WB Movie World is easier to get to for me than say Disneyland, Islands of Adventure, SFMM or whatever, but it doesn't mean I like Movie World more than them because of it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Daniel Bill Kent said:
Just posted it.

After my TWO posts... When they should have been at the opening...

Wow, shocking... Shame they think their new addition failed really...

Magnificant?! Haha, Ripsaw? Blade? Oblivion? Wow, one persons idea of 'Maginificent' is very different to anothers.

So now you're having a go at my opinion? At least those rides have theming... Tell me aside from Amity Cove which areas have theming to a high standard?

You tried to shoot the whole pole down, I didn't ask wether or not you thought it was a 'silly poll' and the way you wrote your first post is as if you've had your head in your ass, better than anyone else's opinion.

It is a silly poll... Because it's been done time and time and time and time again...
I write my posts based on posts above me... Your opening post was just 'Thorpe is better'...

Have you ever been to Towers?

And as Gazza said, geographic location means nothing... My favourite parks are in the US... So yeah...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Daniel Bill Kent said:

I'm lost, are you talking about Alton or Thorpe?

Alton had a few late openers and a few problems during the day - not idea about Thorpe, didn't think it was open yet?

Daniel Bill Kent said:
Nemesis Inferno said:

True, they're not magnificent, but they're all on par or better than similar rides at Thorpe. Hex theming IS magnificent though :)

Daniel Bill Kent said:
Nemesis Inferno said:

I think the issue was that there was no point made over why Thorpe was the best. There are a few points you can make to show Thorpe as being a better "preference" for you. However, in terms of discussions of things like quality, atmosphere, reliability, accessibility, etc ,etc Alton comes out tops.

If you want to say Thorpe, that's fine, just make sure you have a strong backing for your opinion, because it flies wildly in the face of most other peoples :)

Nemesis Inferno said:
It is a silly poll... Because it's been done time and time and time and time again...
I write my posts based on posts above me... Your opening post was just 'Thorpe is better'...

To be fair Benin, the poll hasn't been done for quite a while, this is a "new member" and the obvious unimaginative poll to make to "get started" and it does say "for 2010".

So that means disregard every year until now. Not sure how many people have done both parks fully open yet this year though?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I haven't been to Thorpe yet this year, but the addition of a horror walkthrough isn't going to drastically change my impressions from last season.

I actually like Thorpe. I've had some great days out there. The flat rides are better than at Alton (excluding Hex), and I prefer Stealth over Rita, but other than that Alton craps all over Thorpe.

While I enjoy the rides at Thorpe, I can't say I enjoy the actual place. Alton has, for the most part, the better rides, the better setting and the better atmosphere.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I've only been to Thorpe once on a bad day in June 2008 ... It was busy, full of chavs, hot as hell and Stealth, Rush and Vortex were closed all day! I still had a good day though even though 3 main rides closed on a busy summers day is pretty ridiculous.

Colossus was fun, didn't find it as rough as people say. Inferno was good but not as good as Nemesis or Batman but still fun. X;WTF was funny especially walking into a black wall in the queue. Slammer was really good, Detonator was average. The water rides were pretty good as well. As for the theming, I found it very patchy... some rides had decent themes but the areas all kinda ran into each other.

I've spend two 3day trips in Alton in 2006 and 2009. I have to say I really enjoyed all my visits to the park. Nemesis is awesome, Air is really fun, Oblivion and Rita are also pretty good rides. Runaway Mine Train and Spinball/Sonic are decent fillers. The water rides are okay. Flats are poor, Ripsaw is fun though! But the theming and atmosphere in Alton is allot better than Thorpe.

So overall I think Alton is a much better park in my opinion. However I still haven't been on Stealth, Saw, Rush and Vortex. I'm planning on going again sometime this year so we'll see.

It's also great to see some more effort being put into the theming at Alton, first with Mutiny Bay and now Dark Forest.

Jools

Giga Poster
I'm visiting them both in the first half of the year for once!

Thorpe slightly edges it for me, it's a more pleasant journey there, and the rides are great in my opinion, as much as I love Blivvy and Nemmy, there "sisters" are just as good, but obviously Alton's theming takes it, but Thorpe's isn't all that bad, and I really don't like the chav ambience, but the queues are generally shorter at Thorpe and you don't have to worry about walking around.

NASHER

Roller Poster
...clearly thorpe....
it haz a 100mph coaster that goez vertical and ****...what more could you want....and like this well scary ride that propper **** me up coz it's all made to look like the saw films....

Alton is 500% better than Thorpe. Fact.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
Thorpe has better (and fantastic, might I add!) flat rides than Alton. But other than that, after my first visit to Alton at the weekend, it seems that Alton is better at, well...everything.

Still love Thorpe though <3

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Coaster wise - Alton just nicks it

flats wise - thorpe has it

overall theming wise - I think thorpe is a bit underrated here, despite the fact alton has some individual nice areas, just gose to thorpe

Family wise - alton

Trills wise - thorpe

Atnosphere wise - alton

reliability wise - alton (although thorpe was much better last year)

All around - alton