What's new

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter... London?

Ben

CF Legend
Now, I know this has already been discussed last year when Boris was talking about wanting one, but, it seems like it MIGHT... MIGHT... actually be moving ahead... Sort of...

It’s wizard news for all JK Rowling fans... a Harry Potter theme park is to open here in Britain.

Film company Warner Bros have earmarked a site at Leavesden Studios near London where all eight Harry ­Potter movies have been shot.

And they have hired the same team who worked their magic on the first Potter theme park in ­Orlando.

Harry Potter author JK Rowling is an enthusiastic supporter of the idea of a UK park, saying: “I would love it if they could do it as well as they have in Florida.”

Warner Bros bought the ­sprawling 170-acre site outside Watford in a £100million deal last year. At the time they outlined low-key plans for a modest “visitor attraction” at the former Rolls-Royce factory.

Just 6,000 visitors a day – half the number which visit Alton ­Towers on average – were ­expected to walk through the Potter film sets, including the Great Hall at ­Hogwarts and Dumbledore’s study.

Costumes worn by actors Daniel Radcliffe (Harry), Emma Watson (Hermione) and Rupert Grint (Ron) would also be on show when the attraction opens in 2012.

Now it is clear that Warner Bros’ plans are much more ambitious. The firm has now registered The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the title used at the Florida park, as a trademark in the UK. And this explicitly covers amusement park rides.

Advertisement - article continues below »

A range of souvenirs have been covered too from swimwear and snow suits, through to board games, masks, “flying discs” and even Christmas tree ornaments.

It is significant Warner Bros has engaged Thinkwell Design and Production to design the park since it is also working on the Wizarding World at the MGM Movie Resort in South Korea, which is due to open in 2014.

Attendance at Universal Studio’s Islands of Adventure in Orlando have leapt by 20 per cent since the Potter attraction opened there last June.

There is a steam-belching ­Hogwarts Express train, a Flight of the Hippogriff rollercoaster and reproductions of Hogsmeade ­village and Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The news about Leavesden will delight millions of Potter fans. There was even a political row last summer when London Mayor Boris Johnson ranted: “We must be mad to leave it to the Americans to make money from a British invention.

“Harry Potter isn’t ­American, he is British. The train for ­Hogwarts goes from King’s Cross, in London not Grand Central Station, New York.”

A Warner Bros spokeswoman declined to comment on plans for the Leavesden theme park.

She said: “Warner Bros ­routinely registers trademarks associated with its properties worldwide in order to protect its rights.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news...ter-theme-park-to-open-in-uk-115875-22952388/

Wonder if it will actually happen... I'm certainly not getting too excited it'll actually have creds and the such yet...

Ollie

CF Legend
Didn't Universal do some contract so they had the rights for it for so many years?
Or was that just for the Robo-Arm thing?
Even if this does get made it'll be crap compared to the one in Florida. Everything in the UK is crap. :p

marc

CF Legend
It should have been in the UK in the 1st place, I was shocked Alton did not go for it.

I have a feeling that anyone else that opens these parks will learn from the mistakes of the current one, and that is make the shops bigger. The current land is far to small when it gets busy.

Lofty

CF Legend
To be totally honest, I seriously hope this doesn't go ahead. Whatever happens with it, it's going to end up like a tour attraction rather then what WWoHP is like. I think the comparison with Dickens World was totally justified.

spicy

Giga Poster
Ollie the contract you are talking about is about the Robo-arm attraction due to Disney wanting to make attractions of the same kind.

As for the Harry Potter attraction in London, I am going to go against the grain so far in this topic and say if it is from Thinkwell Design that bought the Harry Potter to IoA why can't it be just as good?

Im not expecting a full blown theme park but something like London Dungeons-esque rather than Dickens World.

Nic

Strata Poster
Hahaha at the Dickens World references. That place is shocking. Might actually be forced to go in one day just to see HOW bad it is.

As for a UK Harry Potter land? If they do it, I hope to God it has no creds, then I won't have any reason to have to go to it.

nadroJ

CF Legend
spicy said:
As for the Harry Potter attraction in London, I am going to go against the grain so far in this topic and say if it is from Thinkwell Design that bought the Harry Potter to IoA why can't it be just as good?

I think the main problems there would be planning permission and cost. Allegedly WWoHP cost something like $265 million to build, British amusement and entertainment companies just don't spend that much doing one thing, they just don't (I will never understand why, I refuse to believe they just don't have the money).

The space would also be an issue. If it were in London where the hell are they going to find space to build a humungous Hogwarts to tower over us?

It'll just end up being a small-time, quite well themed attraction that has nothing on WWoHP in IoA.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
nadroJ said:
I think the main problems there would be planning permission and cost. Allegedly WWoHP cost something like $265 million to build, British amusement and entertainment companies just don't spend that much doing one thing, they just don't (I will never understand why, I refuse to believe they just don't have the money).
I suspect it's risk. I mean, don't forget, IoA is a VERY established theme park, with more than enough funds to easily afford something like this. In the UK it would most likely be a new attraction, and it's one hell of a gamble to take if you can't guarantee the business.

Yes, I'm sure they would get a good number of people in, but unlike IoA it'd have to be more than just an area from a theme park. It'd have to justify the high entrance price. It's a big risk for UK companies to do something like this. This is probably why they haven't done it.

davidm

Strata Poster
BBC report on the tour (not park) details;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-12645416

--

edit: oh, and heres the website;

http://wbstudiotour.co.uk/

--

edit edit : and the press release;

WARNER BROS. STUDIO TOUR LONDON THE MAKING OF HARRY POTTER SET TO OPEN IN SPRING 2012

Visitors will go behind the scenes of the most successful film series of all time.

London 3rd March 2011: Warner Bros. today unveils plans for the Warner Bros. Studio
Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter. This unique walking tour will give visitors the
chance to go behind the scenes of the most successful film series of all time and witness
the intricate detail that goes into a working set to see first hand what the camera
doesn’t show. The announcement was made by Dan Dark, SVP & Managing Director,
Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden.

Warner Bros. Studio Tour London ‐ The Making of Harry Potter will open in the Spring of
2012 at Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden, the production home of the Harry Potter films
for over ten years.

Tickets will go on sale later this year and must be booked in advance via a dedicated
website www.wbstudiotour.co.uk or through approved tour operators.
Featuring the authentic sets, costumes, animatronics, props and effects used in the
production of all eight Harry Potter movies, the tour will showcase the British artistry,
technology and talent that went into bringing this beloved film series to life.   

Among a series of never‐before‐seen exhibits on the three hour long tour, visitors will
be able to walk onto some of the most memorable sets from all of the films in the Harry
Potter series including the iconic Great Hall, Dumbledore’s office and many others to be
announced at a later date.

One of the first sets ever to be created for the series, the Great Hall was built in 2000 for
the series’ first outing, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. Designed by BAFTA‐winning production designer Stuart Craig, it is 120ft long by 40ft wide with a solid stone
floor and includes the tables and benches used in the films.
Dumbledore’s office, meanwhile, was built for Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
and is also the home of the Sorting Hat, The Sword of Gryffindor and Dumbledore’s desk
which is surrounded by a library of ancient looking books. Adorning the office walls is a
myriad of paintings commissioned specifically for the films, including two of Professor
Dumbledore himself; one as played by Richard Harris and the other by Michael
Gambon.

Tickets will go on sale at a date to be announced later this year, but interested guests
are encouraged to visit www.wbstudiotour.co.uk and register to receive ongoing
updates and information on Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry
Potter.

Dan Dark, SVP & Managing Director, Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden said, “While the
Harry Potter film series reaches its highly anticipated conclusion this summer, its
incredible filmmaking story and its relationship with Leavesden is set to live on with the
launch of Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter. The tour
promises to be one of the most exciting and memorable visitor attractions anywhere in
Europe, delivering an experience never before seen by the general public.”

Josh Berger, President & Managing Director, Warner Bros. UK, Ireland & Spain, added,
“We’re incredibly excited about next year’s opening of Warner Bros. Studio Tour London
– The Making of Harry Potter. It will celebrate the exceptional British creativity and
craftsmanship that goes into making major movies here in the UK.”

Currently under construction, Warner Bros. Studios Leavesden is set to be one of the
largest studio production facilities in Europe when it opens next year. A quarter of a
million square feet of dedicated soundstages, and the largest back‐lot in Europe, will
accommodate major film, TV and advertising productions within its secure 200 acre
state of the art site in Hertfordshire.

Warner Bros.’ relationship with the site stretches back over ten years, and has seen the
production of all eight Harry Potter films as well as many other recent Warner Bros.
films including Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight and Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes
and the forthcoming sequel Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows.