What's new

The next round of NL competitions

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
As an attempt to breathe life back into this section of the forum, I am contemplating on hosting a series NL competitions for an indefinite amount of time. These competitions would be more simple and straight forward compared to ones we have had in the past. The main issue of previous competitions was that many were too complex and members either ran out of time or lost interest. I hope to fix this issue and increase the amount of entries per competition.

My first idea is a simple compact wooden coaster, similar to Wooden Warrior or Twister. Some other ideas I've had were Arrow loopers, shuttle coasters, Skyloops/Xcars, and Intamin rocket coasters. Is this an appealing idea to members here?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Smaller projects are more appealing to me, simply because I don't have the time these days to invest tens of hours in a track.

I'd be up for trying this. :D

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
As you may have seen, I'm in the final stages of a woodie myself, but I guess it's a little outside the parameters you mentioned! Several years ago, Loefet and I did some comp judging. One of the ideas I had was for a woodie comp, with no limit on size or length, but the "catch" would be that you had to build the supports yourself. I figured that would bring the size down in a hurry! Only trouble was, he thought we'd have a riot on our hands! What we ended up doing was a tropical islands terrain comp, with no supports allowed in the water, on account of endangered marine life, coral reefs and what have you. That way, you had to do some creative support work, but not for the whole ride. Anyway, I'll be looking forward to your comps. I haven't been in one in a while, so it will be fun to see what kind of talent we have on the site these days!

I just remembered, it always used to be a rule that you couldn't use any kind of node-smoothing or auto-heartlining software. I always assumed that meant anything except what was in the latest version of NL at the time. In case it has a smoothing feature in a future version, like CTRL-G it has now, I thought I'd better get some clarification before the next time I take part in a comp!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Thank you guys for all the input! It's much appreciated and extremely helpful. The first competition is now up and ready to go. Good luck to everybody who enters!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Another question for you guys. Would you guys be interested in doing rolling competitions, as in I release the next competition right after the deadline is reached and judge while you guys are building the next track? This way, we could get through more competitions. If this seems like it would be too quick of a turnaround, I will stick to the traditional releasing of the next challenge for after the results.