What's new

The good, the bad and the ugly

Sandman

Giga Poster
This topic is dedicated to rides (any type) that look like utter gash but ride like a dream. This can include weird looking ride designs as well as ugly rides in the sense that they are heavily neglected/under maintained but still provide a fun experience. Or perhaps you have some rides in mind that look fab but are actually awful experiences. Let's see what people come up with!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Superman: Ultimate Flight (SNGAdv) barely has any existing scenery and is laid down on a flat piece of neglected grass. Yet somehow I absolutely loved the gliding sensation on-ride. I know most people think it's boring after the Pretzel, but I just adored those graceful turns though above an empty land.

w13LIrz.jpg

But The Monster should win an award for winning ugly. I am not blaming the current park management because they're fairly short on cash and Monster was added with the previous owners. Nonetheless, the entire area looks like a dump with its messy grassfields, uncomplete station, and faded colour scheme. A real shame since it is arguably France's most intense coaster with a classic old-school B&M layout. And because the MCBR were removed the second half gets really serious!

Goudurix%2Bpourrait%2Bs%25E2%2580%2599offrir%2Bune%2Bseconde%2Bvie%2Bau%2BParc%2BAst%25C3%25A9rix%2B2.jpg

On the contrary, Goudurix sits pretty over the lake with its sweet, echoing curves. But it deserves its reputation as one of the worst coasters in the whole western world. It literaly is a national shame among French enthusiasts!

Last edited:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Completely agree with Monster. It looks so old and unloved with the horrible faded pink but it's such an underrated invert.

jayjay

Giga Poster
On the contrary, Goudurix sits pretty over the lake with its sweet, echoing curves. But it deserves its reputation as one of the worst coasters in the whole western world. It literaly is a national shame among French enthusiasts!
Vekomas and Arrows in general look elegant but ride horribly. There's something about the external track ties cradling the rails and the curly corkscrews. SLCs, awful as they are, look sexy.

Anyway, I keep finding excuses to post this, but as long as it's a correct answer to the question at hand, it's gonna keep coming:
ew ew ew ew...
IteoJiz.jpg

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Dragon at Adventureland looks really nice and scenic over the water, but rides like absolute garbage.

Don't think there's anything I particularly liked riding but hated viewing. Maybe Joker? The station is awful, and it's pretty much over gravel, but I love the ride.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Those Premier/Vekoma spaghetti bowl things. The mess of tight track looks really impressive, but they're just dull.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
Looks poo, kicks ass: Cannibal. The tower looks like a big block.
Looks great, kicks your ass: SLCs, Manhattan Express.
Looks great, is mediocre: Goliath at SFMM. Maybe if the MCBR didn't stop the train...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Coaster Through the Clouds's funky colours and supportwork is also worth mentioning not I think about it...
Don't forget that those strange supports may, in part, be due to seismic design required for many parts of the Far East. They're likely not just gratuitous.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Oh that's good to know! I really wondered why those supports :p Those steel beams would have been derided as unrealistic if someone ever attempted doing that in RCT3, but sometimes reality is crazier than fiction!

sKrATcher

Roller Poster
The "parking lot" ride - Scream at SFMM. Enjoyable nice ride, but the themeing needs a bit of work! ;)
[Picture borrowed off Google image search]

Attachments

• parkinglot ride.jpg
    parkinglot ride.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 7

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Gatekeeper wins the Looks Great Almost "Meh award for me.
Raptor does too.
Now Maverick? Looks ugly (Really ugly over the water) except at sunset. Looks Great then, but always rides great.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Mine Blower looks pretty crappy, in my opinion. The mess of steel structures followed by the lack of a line and hastily put together wooden station just doesn't look great. Still, it's fantastic. I also kind of hate how Kingda Ka looks. The main structure itself is nice, but the track and trains just look like trash. I just feel like it looks ugly. And, ya, I love Scream! at SFMM, but it looks simply horrible.

As for good looking bad coasters, Mantis at Cedar Point. Hated it a lot, but it had a beautiful environment. Nighthawk at Carowinds was pretty over its lake, but, boy, it was bad.