What's new

The curious tale of Kraken and its VR exploits

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
After all the myths of the Kraken are thought to be from giant quid sightings.

Not necessarily. Kraken (yes, kraken - it means "the krake", so no need for an extra "the") is originally a Scandinavian mythical creature, and Scandinavian fishermen were not likely to encounter squids. In the earliest texts, it is described as a giant fish or whale, or even a giant crab, large enough to be mistaken for an island. The creature itself was said to be fairly placid, but when it dived back from the surface to the ocean floor, the currents left in its wake would drag ships down with it. The octopus/squid image was popularized much later.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Onride VR footage has been released.
And some on-ride footage.
(P.S. fun to sync up with the actual ride footage :p )

Overall, it looks like an improvement on the galactic VR and bug/alien fighting experience of Six Flags rides.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
That looks a lot better than I was expecting, definitely upgraded graphics and (although maybe a bit too full of content) a well put together sequence.
Operations will still be poor though, but I don't think it will be as bad as on Galactica for example.

Matt N

CF Legend
Not sure whether this has been bought up at all in the VR thread, but the VR has apparently disappeared from Kraken, along with any references that it exists, according to Drew the Intern on Twitter and multiple other sources.
P.S. Sorry for bumping this thread.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
So we can change the title to "Kraken removing VR?"

Also, I think it's fine that you bumped it; something's relevant about this topic, so it was bumped.
But yet again I'm not an admin so...

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I believe that Screamscape post is pretty wide of the mark I'm afraid.
It was described to me as "It Gets Most Things Wrong". Take that as you will.

davidm

Strata Poster
It's back...
screamscape said:
Park News - (6/22/18) Just a quick confirmation from a reader that Kraken VR has returned to the SeaWorld Orlando coaster, along with longer than normal reload times. The good news at least is that it appears that the Kraken VR system has not been installed into all the rows, only the middle four rows, as they tell us that the front and back 2 rows on the train were just regular seats without VR gear.
http://screamscape.com/html/seaworld_florida.htm#General

Pear

Strata Poster
I am very excited for Mako as well. I thought the VR on Kraken looked pretty good and I haven't tried a coaster with VR yet (I did Superman a while ago but my headset was broken).

Matt N

CF Legend
I am very excited for Mako as well. I thought the VR on Kraken looked pretty good and I haven't tried a coaster with VR yet (I did Superman a while ago but my headset was broken).
The only VR coaster I've done is Galactica, and while I much prefer it without, it's a cool novelty if everything works. My first ride was great, with the sound working and the VR working fantastically. My second ride... not so much. The audio was off and I didn't think the VR looked as good.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Not sure how I feel about the VR being back but in all honestly, it's not like Seaworld would care anyway.

Only VR coaster i've ridden was Galactica and that just proved that a poor, bland coaster can easily become a terrible one.

davidm

Strata Poster
Its gone again...
icon_STOP.gif
Park News
- (9/19/18) According to the Orlando Sentinel, SeaWorld Orlando has confirmed that the Kraken Unleashed VR experience equipment was phased out in August due to poor guest reviews and increased guest wait times caused by the experience.