What's new

The Budget 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
Well I just read how it is going to affect me and not good at all.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8011882.stm

A packet of ciggs is going up 7p a pack.
A pint 1p not that I drink that much.

But fuel omg, 2p in September.

So all in all every month I am going to be around £150 worse off. For me this has been the worse budget in a long time.

They seem to doing more to help old people and people not working and really hitting the working class.

The thing is I have already been told at work that I am not getting a pay rise so I need to find more ways of cutting back. It has to be smoking that goes thats clear but its sort of the only thing I buy myself each month.

Oh well rant over lol.

How is the budget going to affect you?

Ollie

CF Legend
It's not. :p
I don't smoke. I rarely drink. And I haven't got my own car yet so don't have to pay for petrol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'll be a bit out of pocket on fuel (probably £20 a month or so).

Other than that, not a great deal. That £20 a month will be going towards more slappers on the council estate around me to get even more money for getting constantly pregnant - making them earn more than me, yet they then get even more benefits like loans for kids, free school dinners for their kids and free trips for their kids.

Great :roll:

Madame_Furie worked out that if I left her with the two kids, then the Government would pay her more than if I stay with her (though they would demand about 25% of my wages to cover the costs).

If we split up, or if I lost my job and sat on my arse on the dole for the rest of my life, we'd be much better off than we are with me working 40 hours a week and living as a happy family :roll:

[/rant]

peely

Roller Poster
{Rant Start} Well after my arse stops hurting, ill have an opinion.. :lol:

Ill be worse off around £100-150 per month. Mainly with Petrol, but i also like my drink as well... Grrrrr

^ Totally agree with Furie and Marc in most repects. Why are they targeting the working folk? B@st@rds..

They should cut benefits of lazy dole blodgers, and make them work for a living. {Rant over}

marc

CF Legend
They do need to help people get back to work so I can see why money is being sent there, but maybe if they helped the education system more in the past people would have better skills? But rather than just give people money give them money for attending evening class things like that. Some people want to work but some just take what they can get.

The amount of money getting spent on the environment is stupid, yes people need to help but now is not the right time to pump in £2bn. We should have more choice as to where our taxes are spent.

Pierre

Strata Poster
To be honest though people are getting a good education and graduating, but there is no jobs available in the sector they've just spent years graduating in.

I'm half tempted to try and take advantage of that £2k scrap scheme, to try and milk something from the bastards while I can.

To be honest with you, the beer increase is bollocks, I'm still enjoying £1.73 a pint in my local for some quality lager (Samuel Smiths). So £1.75 a pint is hardly going to kill me.

Plus pubs always do offers, Wetherspoons for example are currently doing bottles of Becks, or pints of Greene King for 99p.

It annoys me how smokers are always targeted, whether it be in tax or the public smoking ban. The government have got a lot to thank for the amount of money smokers have brought in, then waste money on advertisements and processes to get people to stop smoking. I know theres a fair few illnesses caused from smoking which uses NHS time, but whether what is spent on curing smoking related illnesses outweighs the income from said smokers is open to debate?

I haven't read the environment section but if its true they're pumping £2bn into becoming a greener country in this current time then they need to give their heads a shake, what sort of people are running this country.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I know, I had a pint at pub near Kings X station once, pint of Carlsberg and a bag of McCoys came to £4.20 robbing bastards.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Oh my life...

The government is smacking down on the rich and are going to take 50% of their yearly earnings!!!!!! SUCK MY COCK YOU BASTARDS!!!! YOU DIDNT WORK FOR THAT MONEY! It's no wonder why people operate businesses in other countries now!

Thieving bastards!

nadroJ

CF Legend
It'll only affect me in the way of petrol, but the way I see it I never spent more than 20 quid a week anyway, even when it was up to 1.20 a litre so meh.

I'm so glad I don't have to pay taxes yet and will be living off government money for the next 3 years of so while I'm at Uni =]

Dave

CF Legend
Poor show by Labour to be honest.

They seem to trying to solve debt with more debt....

Its not going to affect me too much as I don't smoke, I've stopped drinking for few months and I don't drive.

Harvey

Hyper Poster
If we split up, or if I lost my job and sat on my arse on the dole for the rest of my life, we'd be much better off than we are with me working 40 hours a week and living as a happy family Rolling Eyes

Do it and live together anyway, go ooooooooon, honesty isn't the best policy.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The good news is that Labour have lost the next election.

The bad news is that we have to wait another year.

I only buy the odd packet of fags in this country, so that's not going to affect me that much. Maybe an extra £20 a year maybe?

Fuel, yes. A full tank of diesel costs me (currently) just shy of £60. A 2p hike (that's 4p within 6 months btw...) will cost me another £1.20 to fill the car, so that's about another £60 a year.

Booze. :cry: 2% increase. Sigh. A £15 bottle of whisky will coast me £15.30. Two bottles a month, that's an extra £7.20 a year. I'm not even going to factor in the scores, if not hundreds, of pints I get through every year. That would drive me to drink!

La de dah, there's a "holiday" on Stamp Duty. With low interest rates on my savings, add on top of that my debts and the extra cash I'll be spending to enjoy the SAME lifestyle I do now, it'll take me longer to save up meaning I won't be able to own my own house just yet.

So yeah, evidently I'm worse off.

50% on income tax for those earning £150k+ a year is ridiculous. Why should those that have worked their way to the top have to give half of their money away? They also broke an election 2005 pledge on this as well. Well, we're all used to Labour breaking manifesto promises.

So there we go, children, you're country is ****ed. All the high earners (businessmen, Premiership footballers, Paul Daniels etc) will all soon **** off and work else where, making the country slide further into the horse ****.

When Thacher cut 20% off income tax when she came to power, it created a boom. People flocked back to work in the UK, started their own businesses and generally worked a lot harder. The only thing that encourages people to work harder is the actual real cash they have in their hand.

Thankfully the 50% thing wont come in until 1st April next year. By then, Labour will be five weeks away until the hard working, decent, sensible people of this country boot them out.

However, the Tories will have so much mess to sort out, they wont be able to reverse many decisions made by Labour. Therefore they'll be vilified! However, no future Government will ever be as incompetent as the current one. I'm not saying the current Tory head honchos are our saving grace, they're just the lesser of two evils. Shame on those that put an 'x' next to a Labour candidates name in the last general election.

If anybody wants to argue those points, feel free as I won't respond. I just needed to vent.

Ben

CF Legend
The 50% thing is absolutely ridiculous!

I could organise a better budget... *sigh*

****ing Alistair Darling. Anyone that can't match their eyebrows to their hair needs shooting, not being put in charge of something like this! I would LOVE to know what wacky colour his pubes are...

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
This is simply a filler budget. Making a few minor money grabs at everyone's expense to make it look as if they're doing something about the problem, yet allowing the problem to get worse by not taking any drastic action to actually cut costs and fix the problem properly.

Yes boys and girls, we're all being screwed over by a bunch of arrogant assholes playing the political game - they don't want to cut spending because their core voter base benefits from said spending and they know by cutting back they'll turn said voters against them. They're desperate to avoid cutbacks in the run up to a general election because it's political suicide in the short run. And why not? If Labour scrape through next election ahead, then it'll have worked. And if it fails it's no longer their problem. They've nothing to lose and everything to gain. Who cares about what the people of this country actually need right now?

marc

CF Legend
Remember its only 50% on anything above £150,000.

It will just mean that people who earn lots will no longer vote for them, so they have lost a lot of peoples vote.

I have no idea who I will vote for as am ****ed off with Labour and I wont vote Tories due to things they made law, plus I dont think they left the country in a good state last time and that took Labour years to sort out. And now they have made a mess of it, we no longer have assets to sell off as a quick fix :)

There all as bad as each other, and its us thats going to have to pay for the damage thats been done by these bankers, and I do been bankers btw :)

All I know is I am a lot worse off a month by it.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ian said:
The good news is that Labour have lost the next election.

The bad news is that we have to wait another year.

Surely the bad news is - the torries will replace them?

marc

CF Legend
You know what the nasty thing is, these people can sleep at night. Yet hard working people like me can not as we are worried how we are going to pay bills :(

mrclam

Giga Poster
southend_marc said:
You know what the nasty thing is, these people can sleep at night. Yet hard working people like me can not as we are worried how we are going to pay bills :(

See the thing is.. the global economy downturn wasnt strictly speaking anyone in the british governments fault.

And strictly speaking if it's anyones fault its:

a) the people who borrowed more money than they could really afford to pay back

b) the banks for lending it to them in the first place.

But it's easier to just blame the government, and wish that we have the tories in instead - because everyone's already forgotten what a hash job they did the last time the economy tanked (25% interest rates anyone?)

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Indeed. I can remember the day Thatcher got in (think I was 8), followed by 18 years of "**** the working class", and that's with some politicians who had a clue! Cameron & his crew are idiots, but unfortunately so is Gordie, and the Dems are as ineffective as ever.

That extra 5% tax hike for the £150K+ affects 1% of the country, boohoo. Anyone at that level has an accountant mitigating/dodging their tax anyway.

This was pretty much a treading-water budget. What annoys me is that Darling's forecasts were utter **** - again - which is pathetic. They KNOW the growth won't be happening at the end of this year, so all their future financials are rubbish, and we're going to be even deeper in the mire. It's definitely a "sweep it under the carpet" job before an election (which has to be by 3rd June 2010).

All this horrendous debt was caused by mismanaging the banks before and after the crash, so I'm afraid Gordie has to be one of those carrying the can.

Thing is, there as some big budget items they can cut, such as £5B for ID cards, but they won't do it. Tossers.

Status
Not open for further replies.