What's new

"Terror Incognita," Wooden Racing and Dueling Coaster

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
UPDATE: DOWNLOAD FILE NOW AVAILABLE!

http://www.mediafire.com/?59g7a67gtkgxm4j

Got it finished just in time for a St. Patrick's Day grand opening! If that link doesn't work, PM me with your e-mail address, and I'll send you the file. I can't actually post it here, because, even in its compressed form, it's almost three times the maximum CF-allowed size for attachments!

I've been away from the site for a while, so I hope this will make up for lost time! I'm in the final stages on a wooden racing and dueling coaster. I still have the roof of the station to finish, along with possibly a few customized tunnels, but for sort of a "soft opening," here's a YouTube link to a video I made with Windows Live Movie Maker. I hope you have a widescreen monitor and can see it in "full screen" mode. Since it's probably going to be seen by people who have never heard of NL, I included some information about it that I hope will drum up some sales and, who knows, maybe even recruit some new talent into our ranks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnbw0E7tdY

Attachments

• TERROR INCOGNITA TITLE.jpg
    TERROR INCOGNITA TITLE.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 128

SFOGRICH

Roller Poster
Thanks for checking it out, fellas! I'm sure it's hard to rate a track without having the actual download, so I'll keep working on the remaining steps - hopefully including some custom double-wide tunnels where both tracks go underneath other parts of the ride. Here's a pic of further progress of the station roof. I'm debating whether to make that top level about 10-20 feet higher, to give it a cupola style. It would also be more clearance above the trains going up the lift, but I'm sure even where it is now would be well outside the reach of any riders.

For anybody who wants to make custom stations for their rides, but doesn't yet know how to make 3DS objects, I just used concrete footers and wooden support beams for the structure and pieces of catwalk for the roofing. I took the catwalk sections from some of the high-banked turns, where they were only about 5" wide and wouldn't be missed as much, and re-shaped them to go over the roof struts, joists, rafters, or whatever they're called. I looked at pics of octagonal-shaped garden gazebos and pergolas and just made a gigantic version to wrap around the base of the lift. I tried to leave room for queue areas, train storage tracks and maintenance areas, etc., which I hope NL 2.0 or some other future version will give us the ability to include. I guess it's not enough to pretend to be a ride engineer, so why not pretend to be an architect too? :--D

We can put the ride op's console on either side of the station, but I wish we could also pick which end of the station to have it. That's usually not a big deal, but in this case I think at the back end of the station the op would be able to see both the station platform and the final brake run and block brakes underneath the lift.

For a real version of a racing or dueling coaster, I wonder if the tunnel test we have in NL would be enough clearance. I tried to give at least 10 feet for trains going in the same direction and 12 feet for places where they pass in opposite directions, in both cases from centerline to centerline. Anybody know if that would be enough?

Attachments

• TERROR INCOGNITA STATION AND LIFT.jpg
    TERROR INCOGNITA STATION AND LIFT.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 99

bmac

Giga Poster
This is a neat looking coaster, although the auto supporting feature is rearing its ugly head multiple times throughout the layout. Still very cool nonetheless.