What's new

Technically Good Coasters You Don't Feel

ukthemeparkfan

Roller Poster
mines jores en de Darrk at efteling not a bad coaster but was expecting more from a park that has both baron and the flying dutchman

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Not "upset", I don't give fig whether someone else likes or doesn't like a ride. And you misunderstand, I was saying that it was not built to be a high-g intense ride, it was built to be a big, tall, fast, statement of a ride - my point was people who call it "Millennium Forceless" like they are some sort of witty genius are just idiots really. Its like complaining about the lack of inversions on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.
I suppose, but just because it was meant to be a tall, fast, statement of a ride doesn't mean it gets a pass for lacking intensity. I feel that a ride needs intensity to be an upper tier, world class ride.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
I disagree with this entire post.
Superman does not have any top notch airtime, the final hills have some and there's a little after the bends following the turnaround, but nothing compared to Toro or Skyrush.
The RT hill on Toro is the strongest ejector on the ride.
Toro's seats are not uncomfortable and it's not a rough woodie, Boulderdash for example is rougher, and pick any Comet style to compare roughness.
MF isn't forceless, it does have some floater and ejector on the last 2 hills, not much, but it's there.
MF's drop is better than Mavericks and Superman, Superman's drop is the worst of the ones you listed and I'm not sure how you think it compares to Toro or Skyrush's drop, they aren't in the same league.
First off, Skyrush's drop is much better than any other that I've experienced, and I do think Toro's drop is better than STR's but not by THAT much. As for Millie's drop, it just wasn't strong enough air to be even close to as good as STR's. And even on the last hill of Millie there's not really any ejector in my opinion.
And I don't know if you've been on Boulder Dash this year, but after the retrack of the final section it is now much smoother than El Toro. The hard plastic seats on Toro accentuate the roughness and honestly make it painful on some of the high g moments and rapid transitions. Agree to disagree.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
but there's basically no airtime

I don't know what you're talking about, but the two bigger hills provide (Very little) floater airtime (the second more than the first), and the final bunny hop gives "Almost" as good airtime as Maverick, but not as good cause of the restraints.
Maybe it's cause I'm small.
MF's drop is better than Mavericks
I disagree with that.
But only if you're talking about back row Maverick. Best drop I've been on.
Yea, MF's drop is much larger and more drawn out, but Maverick's is Steep, fast (Cause of the launch), and it sometimes feels like you're gonna fall out because it's whipping you over so fast.

Lofty

CF Legend
Maverick's drop is really poo.

One coaster that on paper is fab, but in reality it's **** is Banshee.

A huge B&M without a pre-drop, massive inversions and slight terrain interaction - instead what you get is a completely uninteresting experience of high positive G's with little fluctuation in forces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster
First off, Skyrush's drop is much better than any other that I've experienced,
Agreed :)
and I do think Toro's drop is better than STR's but not by THAT much.
It's ejector similar to Skyrush's, SROS is a smaller MF into a tunnel.
As for Millie's drop, it just wasn't strong enough air to be even close to as good as STR's. And even on the last hill of Millie there's not really any ejector in my opinion.
Back row MF wasn't great but I'm taking about the front only, i got loads of floater at the front.
And I don't know if you've been on Boulder Dash this year, but after the retrack of the final section it is now much smoother than El Toro. The hard plastic seats on Toro accentuate the roughness and honestly make it painful on some of the high g moments and rapid transitions. Agree to disagree.
I haven't been on BD since 2015 and it was quite rough, not awful, but noticeable. I rode Toro the same year and had no issues.

I disagree with that.
But only if you're talking about back row Maverick. Best drop I've been on.
Yea, MF's drop is much larger and more drawn out, but Maverick's is Steep, fast (Cause of the launch), and it sometimes feels like you're gonna fall out because it's whipping you over so fast.
Front row MF only, the rest is ok, but that drop at the front is amazing. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Maverick, including the fling into restraints drop, but I got more of an adrenaline rush from front row MF and is possibly the best part of the ride(imo)

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Ya the Flinging into the restraints, that and the 2nd Overbank, the launch, and the Horseshoe roll are what makes Maverick my favorite overall.
Also, I've only ridden MF once, and it was in the middle. But yea, the drop was still good, none the less.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Ya the Flinging into the restraints, that and the 2nd Overbank, the launch, and the Horseshoe roll are what makes Maverick my favorite overall.
Also, I've only ridden MF once, and it was in the middle. But yea, the drop was still good, none the less.
Anyone who hasn't done the front row hasn't experienced the drop fully. The drop in anywhere but that first row is nowhere as good as Mavericks in any row, it's all about the view and wind and speed(and bugs).

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Maverick completely blew me away last week. I was expecting it to be pretty meh to be honest, like any number of overrated launched intamins, but Maverick definitely delivered. That drop is obscene and the airtime, brutal. MF was also better than expected and I can totally see why people take it to heart. But for me, it was all about Maverick.

Will

Strata Poster
The best examples I can think of are:
Taron
Oz Iris (except in the front, where it suddenly becomes amazing)
Piraten
Alpina Blitz

And possibly some others I've forgotten.

Lofty

CF Legend
The best examples I can think of are:
Taron
Oz Iris (except in the front, where it suddenly becomes amazing)
Piraten
Alpina Blitz

And possibly some others I've forgotten.
Are you making a list of some of the best coasters in Europe, because it looks like so.

Will

Strata Poster
Arguably - but that was a list of technically good coasters that don't impress me as much as they seem to impress most people.
Apologies if I've misinterpreted the topic?

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'm gonna open the floodgates for hate here, and maybe rightly so, but I'm going to venture Lightning Rod. I wouldn't go so far as to say I didn't feel it because that would be stupid. It's ****ing EPIC. But the quad down was a little bit controlled/repetitive/expected. Just a little bit. I don't know. Maybe because there's not much else to the rest of the ride so your entire focus is on that section? Maybe because I'd gone in thinking it was gonna be a new number one? Or maybe RMCs do sometimes suffer a little from feeling clinical in the same way that Intamin woodies sometimes do? Maybe they feel too much like a steel coaster? Lightning Rod was outstanding and the quad down incredible but it just wasn't quite as bedazzling as I expected. Outlaw Run on the other hand...the airtime hits you in such unexpected ways that I just found it to have way more character.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Does anyone else feel the same way as Sue?
The quad literally tried to undress me it was that out of control. I mean, all coasters are controlled to an extent, so you could argue that against any of them, but LR is not one of the first that would come to mind for sure.
I found all the first few elements to be well varied with airtime, sideways floater, sideways ejector trick, sustained ejector and forceful short pops, unlike other woodies which have (amazing) repetitive floater, but not much else. Plus LR's pacing is amazing.

I've run LR in drizzle, pouring rain and normal conditions, the wet ones were ridiculous, but the dry wasn't far off.

Edit - Maybe just a case of overhype Sue? You said yourself it's incredible just not blow-your-mind-nothing-else-compares?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Does anyone else feel the same way as Sue?
The quad literally tried to undress me it was that out of control. I mean, all coasters are controlled to an extent, so you could argue that against any of them, but LR is not one of the first that would come to mind for sure.
I found all the first few elements to be well varied with airtime, sideways floater, sideways ejector trick, sustained ejector and forceful short pops, unlike other woodies which have (amazing) repetitive floater, but not much else. Plus LR's pacing is amazing.

I've run LR in drizzle, pouring rain and normal conditions, the wet ones were ridiculous, but the dry wasn't far off.
Not me!

Lightning Rod too tried to undress me (to be honest, it had moderate success), and we rode in the dry and wet. I agree with everything you're saying, the pacing, forces, layout are all fantastic. Night rides (did we mention that we had night ERT on it on the Live? ;) ) only enhanced it.

I can, however, see that "over-hype" may come in to play. I think if I was riding it for the first time now, (rather than a few weeks after it opened), I might feel the same way as Sue. I think it'd probably still be my number one, but maybe not by as much of a margin as I thought it was at the time.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'm not sure that I put my point across very well (I was a bit sleepy when writing the original post). The quad down felt too controlled. Like, you knew exactly what was going to happen and when. The airtime was absolutely unbelievable but it reminded me of some rides I've had on Balder. You see the airtime coming and then airtime happens. And then it happens again. And again. And again. And almost straight away a fifth. It doesn't do anything unexpected. There really are no supprises up its sleeve. What it does, it does so well but there's no out of control feeling. No character. The reason I love Skyrush and Outlaw Run (and even Troy) is because there are supprising forces or pops of airtime that catch you unawares. They play with you. But I'm being ultra picky - obviously as a piece of engineering it's obscene. Which is, I'm guessing, why Hixee loves it so.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Just like how historical significance of design or aesthetic never factors into my evaluations of rides. :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Not been on Rod but Sue's post really interested me.

Also she's spot on about Maverick. I think Maverick is responsible in part for making the rest of CP look so mediocre to me. And that is exaggerated because it's "small" and unassuming.

...A popular coaster amongst enthusiasts I didn't rate was Boulder Dash. It was just kind of.. lame. I was expecting an objectively good Beast, but it didn't feel out of control. I rode front and back. It was just a bit lifeless.

Interestingly, there was a CF trip there around the same time but independent of my visit, and most of the group was unimpressed also. Jerry claimed it was running especially poor and I believe that, but it was so mediocre I cannot believe it's capable of being outstanding on a good day. So I think it was both running badly and it's not my cup of tea, for whatever reason. And sadly I have no desire to go back there because it is a ****ing dump.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
You see the airtime coming and then airtime happens.
I've been thinking this exact thing a lot recently.

It's spot on about Balder and other various Intamin 'airtime machines' and probably just a sufference of those who over-think a lot.
They are technically good at certain moments, but if I can get stuck in that mindset of here comes that good bit and then this is just filler before the next good bit, I find it hampers the experience.
I also don't like it when new coasters use that promo bit about having 'X number of air time moments'.
If you're measuring it in moments you're doing it wrong. To me the best coasters are one continuous 'moment'.