What's new

Emerald Park News/Discussion

ciaran75

Roller Poster
We won't know until the park opens. I would assume it will open later this year, likely in summer, like Ladybird Loop was.
Would they not have needed planning permission? They are announcing 2021 coasters years in advance but nothing about one coming this summer even if family.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
https://www.thejournal.ie/tayto-park-planning-4531859-Mar2019/

Well ****...
FOUR RESIDENTS LIVING close to Tayto Park have put the brakes on plans for a new ‘iconic’ €14 million steel ride roller coaster ride at Ireland’s largest theme park.

This follows the residents, Donal Greene and Clare Smith along with Suzanne Galwey and Jeremy Butcher, lodging a joint appeal to An Bord Pleanála against the decision by Meath County Council to give the project the go-ahead last month. The appeal now threatens the Tayto Park timeline to have the rollercoaster constructed and open to visitors by 2021 and puts a question mark over the project.

The planned ‘Coaster 2021’ will involve two separate coasters and a 189-page Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) lodged with the planning application outlined the stark need for ‘Coaster 2021’ for the future of Tayto Park. The document states that if the Tayto Park operators do not add a major attraction at this time “the longer term viability of the park would be brought into question”. The planning documents state that ‘Coaster 2021’ will help projected visitor numbers to Tayto Park - owned by businessmen, Ray Coyle - increase by 15% from 630,000 in 2019 to 725,000 in 2023.

However, in their objection against the plan, Ms Galwey and Mr Butcher -who live 200m from the Tayto Park entrance – have stated that they feel that “this development is entirely inappropriate from the perspectives of traffic, noise and overall disruption”.

They stated that they support the presence of Tayto Park in their community, but state that the development is of inappropriate scale for the rural area. The two state that they currently experience noticeable noise pollution from the park from the existing Cú Chulainn rollercoaster from ratcheting sounds, riders’ screams and the roaring of the cars and the train whenever the park is open. They state: “We have tolerated this erosion of our quiet enjoyment of our traditional rural domestic environment in a spirit of supporting local enterprise.” In their own objection, Clare Smith and Donal Greene state that they live 700 metres from the entrance. They state that they have lived in the area since 2013 and “our family has been based in this area since the 1970s”. We feel that the proposed new development will have a serious negative long term impact on our peaceful enjoyment, and critically the long term value of our home. We currently experience noticeable noise pollution from the park and the existing roller-coaster and the train whenever the park is open. The objectors said that the new rollercoaster “will present a further escalation in the impact to our lives. We chose to live in this area with the expectation of a quiet environment to raise our small children”. They also stated that new roller-coaster “would be directly visible from our back garden and the bedrooms at the rear of our home”. Tayto Park declined to comment on the appeal and a decision is due on the appeal in early July.

Efan

Mega Poster
Imagine being so selfish that you want to stop something that will bring joy to hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Also, wouldn't the wooden coaster be way louder than a steel one?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The people who moved to their house in 2013 literally have no basis for their complaint - why move next to a theme park in the first place? Be interesting to know how long the others have lived there...

One thing to keep in mind is many theme park developments near local areas receive complaints and objections, and rarely do they make a difference, in the sense that it doesn't stop rides being built. Good parks will obviously work with their neighbours and take their views into account prior to submitting plans, within reason.

Part of me feels this is just a couple of NIMBYs who have shouted loud enough to be listened to be a website. Most don't usually bother, unless they have a very good point or a lot of money. I expect this case is neither of those for once.

Lofty

CF Legend
To be fair, cases like this usually get overturned - the local council have to listen to them, but then go NAH anyway. If it's proven that such a ride could increase footfall to the park and local area, which in turn benefits other local businesses, the council will sway in favour of that because, in reality, it means more income for them, too.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I posted back in October about the removal of the Zip Wires and the start of construction on something.
I visited Tayto Park's Halloween event last night and saw that construction work has started inside the park - given that there hasn't been nor would I expect any other major announcements for next year; I assume this must be the site of their 2019 Zierer Family Coaster.

The Zip Wires have been removed, the towers are still standing but the actual wires and landing platforms/strips are gone (+ they are no longer on the map or website), and beside the tower closest to the park entrance land clearing and digging to create a flat surface has taken place.
20181020_202859.jpg

Lit up lifthill of Cu Chuliann in the background.
20181020_202904.jpg

20181020_203628.jpg

20181020_203441.jpg

20181020_203803.jpg

There are a number of orange pipes for utilities/electricity connections sticking out of the ground.
20181021_020608.jpg

I've drawn the construction site on this aerial view to better demonstrate its size of and its location compared to Viking Voyage, Cu Chuliann and the park entrance.

And now the park have officially confirmed the Zip Wires are not returning and that two new attractions will open this May.
We are saddened to announce that we will be entering the 2019 season without the Zip-Line Extreme. The time has come to say goodbye to this attraction which has been in the park for the last 7 years.

This announcement comes with mixed emotions as we say goodbye to the Zip-Line Extreme, we make way for two brand-new attractions opening this May

Keep your eyes peeled
54516221_2726606474046986_5660871358322573312_n.jpg
Will be interesting to see if the Zierer Family Coaster mentioned last June is still planned for this year.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Tayto Park have released their 2019 map, with the new 2019 Zierer coaster on it! It will be in the same location we thought, and will be called "Flight School". It will have a 1.2m height restriction, and it appears a Zierer Force 281 (clone of Flying Eagle at LEGOLAND Billund)!
Screenshot_20190330-124337.png

Sorry for the small image, it was the best I could get. Link to the PDF download is here:-

http://www.taytopark.ie/visitor-information/park-map

It also looks like their adding a new attraction in the old unload tower of the Zip Line Extreme for this year called "Sky Glider", and also the addition of a lemur woods to the zoo area of the park. Should be a great year for the park!

Last edited:

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I'd imagine that this isn't in a zone that would affect the neighboring area as much, as opposed to their 2021 addition.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Does anyone what is going on with regards to the parks proposed hotel? Has it completely fallen through?

The park opens for the 2019 season this Saturday, so it will be interesting to see the changes around the park, and how far along they are with building the Zierer coaster.

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
They said they still intend to build a hotel and are reworking their planning application before resubmitting it. So who knows long it'll take.
Also what rumours? The park confirmed the two new attractions would open in May on Facebook, its a few posts up on this page.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

CF Legend
I honestly thought that Zierer coaster was common knowledge lol, shows how much attention I’m paying.

Yeah they were digging it all out in October when I was over there for Halloween, surprised it’s not all done and dusted tbf.

@CSLKennyNI the Halloween event was great, right?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I honestly thought that Zierer coaster was common knowledge lol, shows how much attention I’m paying.

Yeah they were digging it all out in October when I was over there for Halloween, surprised it’s not all done and dusted tbf.

@CSLKennyNI the Halloween event was great, right?
Yeah it was really good; absolutely loved it. Definitely hoping to go again this year.

Reactions: Ben