What's new

Suzuka Circuit Announced Duel GP

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
With the latest addition to the "is it a coaster?" debate. Suzuka Circuit in Japan has announced Duel GP. Advertised as the world's first "two-seater coaster that passengers can steer by themselves"
http://www.suzukacircuit.jp/gpfield_s/duelgp/

I have literally no idea quite what type of ride this is or how the "Steer it yourself" bit works but it looks like it will be an nice addition to their already quirky line up. I mean this is the park that has a coaster where the launch speed is determined by how loud you can shout on the launch track. A ride design i think we can guarantee we won't see at Alton Towers or Margate any time soon

GP3.png GP4.jpg GP2.png GP1.jpg GP5.png

I think the best thing here is that the track is a mini replica of the Suzuka F1 circuit itself.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Looks quite fab, Im imagining the Maurer at Ferrari World except the cars can be spun slightly by the rider to simulate a car drifting round a corner. Swear i recall a manufacturer unveiling a drifting coaster recently?

TLARides

Hyper Poster
It's like a slot car kind of thing, like the Tin Lizzies at Kentucky Kingdom.

At least, I assume so. The photo of the track looks like it has very large slots for the cars.

Maybe coaster was the wrong term for it...

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Genasi

Roller Poster
Reminds me of the Single Car Racing concept Vekoma introduced some years ago. Maybe the first installation?

J Rod

Roller Poster
The drifting concept seems to be the most likely option. I can't see any other way riders could "steer" with it being on a fixed track.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Why not just build a go kart track and get the same effect for less cost?

I would guess this has a higher capacity and lower risk of injury. Probably needs less attendance too.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
While i have no evidence for this. If the drivers can control speed i cant imagine it just goes flat out when the cars are empty? There would be a sort of base speed for when cars are empty perhaps.