What's new

Stick's NL2 Project Page- Unnamed B&M Invert- WIP

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Hey everyone! I just got NL2 Standard, and after about 3 days of tutorials and failures, I've finally started(and almost finished) my first project! Here it is- Wooden Thunder- a Custom RMC Woodie. It is about 98 feet tall, with(I think) a 114 foot drop at I think 80 degrees. I can't think of stats, the pictures will do more justice:

rTJovS8.png

Arial shot.

dDKynqZ.jpg

dat drop tho.

BQVOvGr.jpg

After the drop into a tunnel, it goes into a (trimmed) airtime hill. It's trimmed due to the utter intensity and speed it would have if it wasn't. After that, it goes into a GCI-style 225 banked turnaround. After that, it goes into an outside 90 degree banked hill(like Outlaw Run).

iUhhco7.jpg

dat GCI tho.

6oVtMAv.jpg

There's the bank.

aL8argT.jpg

After that, it goes into a banked S-Bend.

ULG78R3.jpg

After the S-Bend, it goes into an untrimmed airtime hill that needs a lot of work. Like, a lot of work.

oLXBOrM.jpg

And then it goes into a zero-g roll.

PDwuQKu.jpg

The zero-g roll from the side.

lA7KUk5.jpg

After that, it goes into the brake run.

Also, I'm having trouble deciding what car to use for this:

A Gravity Group Timberliner:
7nv4SV2.jpg

Or the Heartline cars:
GBnHv5O.jpg

Q35PK0l.jpg

Birds-eye view.

eC7MtjN.jpg

Drop with train.

g0x4rI9.jpg

Overview from other side.

What do you guys think? Leave a comment below!

BTW, if the site is down for some reason, I will have another topic that is literally the same thing on the RCTLounge forum page: http://rctlounge.com/forums/showthread. ... post256823

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Stick's No Limits 2 Project Page- Wooden Thunder(Custom

Your hills need some serious reprofiling. They are way to sharp and not rounded like they should be. You could kill the trim, and make the turnaround into a double down of sorts, but the hills need reshaping big time.

For first attempt, and from pictures, it doesn't look bad, except for those death hills.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'll second Tom's comments there, you want to try and get the hill profiles smooth.

The only other thing I had to comment on, which is absolutely not a problem, but something to note. Outlaw Run's "wave turn" is not just a hill banked sideways, it's actually got a slight bulge in it. I've actually struggled to get a photo that shows it clearly, but you can see in this locked off POV that it's not just a normal shaped hill.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KqDI599wvE[/youtube]

If you C&P these coordinates into Google Maps, you'll see how the shaping looks from the top. (36.671958, -93.341701)

Don't know if that makes any sense, but it might give that particular element another cool boost!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

Ok, I'm done. I made a POV video. I added a few hills. I just want to get this project over with so I can start on my B... uh, I mean Next Project. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMoO54onNjg&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Oh yeah, I changed the heartline, I edited the transfer track to a fork, and edited a few other things here and there. Still, it's bad.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Re: Stick's No Limits 2 Project Page- Wooden Thunder-RELEASE

Your wooden coaster was quite rough if I'm honest. Your roll nodes were in the wrong places and although I know it was your first coaster, you could have fixed it easily!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Stick's No Limits 2 Project Page- Wooden Thunder-RELEASE

Ethan said:
Your wooden coaster was quite rough if I'm honest. Your roll nodes were in the wrong places and although I know it was your first coaster, you could have fixed it easily!
I think I'll elaborate slightly by saying that I think you should try to take a lot of shaping tips from real coasters. The more you look at real coasters and take inspiration from their shaping the more realistic you'll find your coasters being. This was a nice concept, but it wasn't hugely well executed. That being said, it's your first coaster and there's a lot to learn with NL, so keep at it! Real coasters are going to help you a lot. :D

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Stick's No Limits 2 Project Page- Grizzly- Finished(?)

So I finally found out how to make decent rides in NL2. So I present to you, my first presentable project, Grizzly!

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tam9ksP8ZpA[/youtubevid]

It is a CCI/Dinn Corp. Terrain Woodie(I can't figure out what this ride is more like. It has airtime hills from CCI, but also has the large, swooping turns from Dinn.). I'm planning on turning this project into a mini-park, so stay tuned for more! :)

By the way, for the 2 of you that care, that last "project" got really messed up. Mid-creation, I finally found out about the depump tool(I know, very much a noob). So I did the completely logical thing, and selected the entire ride to depump. It was broken beyond repair, and I ended up abandoning it. It was supposed to be a B&M Giga with a "launched" lift hill. It was really bad.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Stick's No Limits 2 Project Page- Grizzly- Finished(?)

Not bad, but it did feel like it lacked the 'spark'.

Trackwork was good - you've definitely improved. Pretty smooth throughout, with only a few minor pumping issues (the depump tool will have helped a lot with that, so it's good you've got it sussed out). Some of the banking transitions didn't feel quite right, but I can't really put my finger on it. My suspicion is that you're not using enough roll nodes. I reckon the more accurate (in terms of accuracy to the feel of the real coasters) method of banking the track for those turns is to have five roll nodes throughout the corner:

1. At the entrance to the corner, banked at zero (or whatever is needed to make it work with the previous element).
2. At about 1/5 of the way into the corner, banked at the desired maximum banking angle.
3. At 1/2 way through the corner, banked at the desired maximum banking angle.
4. At about 4/5 of the way into the corner, banked at the desired maximum banking angle.
5. At the exit of the corner, banked again at zero (or whatever works for the next element).

That way you get those corners with big laterals on the entrance and exit, and as the train slows at the top of the corner you get that bit of respite. I don't know if I've explained that I mean well enough, and if that's even how these corners really work, but some of them felt like they'd only use three nodes (1, 3 and 5 from my list above).

Anyway, I digress. :lol:

I did think the ride wasn't very... exciting? It might be better if I was actually riding the coaster rather than watching the YT video (it's nice to upload the file, so we can all experience it in full), but I think it was a little too drawn out - although I can see what you were going for.

Overall, nice. I look forward to seeing the rest of your creations - and hopefully your entries in the 2016 NL2 competitions. :D

GuyWithAStick said:
By the way, for the 2 of you that care, that last "project" got really messed up. Mid-creation, I finally found out about the depump tool(I know, very much a noob). So I did the completely logical thing, and selected the entire ride to depump. It was broken beyond repair, and I ended up abandoning it. It was supposed to be a B&M Giga with a "launched" lift hill. It was really bad.
No "restore previous versions" options available to you? That's a shame, but a good lesson I think. The depump tool is good, but use it carefully. :p

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Stick's No Limits 2 Project Page- Giant Dipper- Finished

Hixee said:
Not bad, but it did feel like it lacked the 'spark'.

Trackwork was good - you've definitely improved. Pretty smooth throughout, with only a few minor pumping issues (the depump tool will have helped a lot with that, so it's good you've got it sussed out). Some of the banking transitions didn't feel quite right, but I can't really put my finger on it. My suspicion is that you're not using enough roll nodes. I reckon the more accurate (in terms of accuracy to the feel of the real coasters) method of banking the track for those turns is to have five roll nodes throughout the corner:

1. At the entrance to the corner, banked at zero (or whatever is needed to make it work with the previous element).
2. At about 1/5 of the way into the corner, banked at the desired maximum banking angle.
3. At 1/2 way through the corner, banked at the desired maximum banking angle.
4. At about 4/5 of the way into the corner, banked at the desired maximum banking angle.
5. At the exit of the corner, banked again at zero (or whatever works for the next element).

That way you get those corners with big laterals on the entrance and exit, and as the train slows at the top of the corner you get that bit of respite. I don't know if I've explained that I mean well enough, and if that's even how these corners really work, but some of them felt like they'd only use three nodes (1, 3 and 5 from my list above).

Anyway, I digress. :lol:

I did think the ride wasn't very... exciting? It might be better if I was actually riding the coaster rather than watching the YT video (it's nice to upload the file, so we can all experience it in full), but I think it was a little too drawn out - although I can see what you were going for.

Overall, nice. I look forward to seeing the rest of your creations - and hopefully your entries in the 2016 NL2 competitions. :D

GuyWithAStick said:
No "restore previous versions" options available to you? That's a shame, but a good lesson I think. The depump tool is good, but use it carefully. :p

Thanks! The coaster was meant to be a bit drawn out. Dinn is really good at doing that, after all. ;)

I'd do more NL2 competitions if I had time. High School homework hates me. </3

Yeah, I have no restore previous versions tool. I have a feeling it might be exclusive to the Pro version, as I have the standard one. I don't want to publish it now. It was pretty bad, even if I depumped it correctly.

---------------------------------------

Anyways, I whipped up another woodie in about an hour and a half. It's a classic John A. Miller woodie called Giant Dipper. I'm quite impressed with myself in terms of realism. You have the curved station, the tunnels surrounding the station, the bend in the lift, the little-to-no-banking, the curved hills, etc. There are a few transition and banking issues, especially toward the end, but I think I'm improving. This was a side project, so this isn't in the park I was doing(at least not yet...). Again, feedback would be helpful.

[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5jIUPe3VM4[/youtubevid]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: Stick's No Limits 2 Project Page- Giant Dipper- Finished

GuyWithAStick said:
Yeah, I have no restore previous versions tool. I have a feeling it might be exclusive to the Pro version, as I have the standard one.
I was referring to the restoring functions within Windows, I'm not sure that NL2 has anything like that - even the Pro version.

GuyWithAStick said:
Anyways, I whipped up another woodie in about an hour and a half. It's a classic John A. Miller woodie called Giant Dipper. I'm quite impressed with myself in terms of realism. You have the curved station, the tunnels surrounding the station, the bend in the lift, the little-to-no-banking, the curved hills, etc. There are a few transition and banking issues, especially toward the end, but I think I'm improving. This was a side project, so this isn't in the park I was doing(at least not yet...). Again, feedback would be helpful.
This was actually pretty nice - for a small crappy woodie. :lol: The layout was nice, realistic and well made and the pacing was pretty good. The worn track, bent lift, slight rattle in the corners, all worked well.

Only real criticism I have is that it wasn't very... challenging? I mean, it was good, but don't get stuck in the rut of making these small, old style woodies just because they're relatively easy. I know you have other things in the pipeline, so I'm not really complaining, but maybe show off some of that stuff in your posts too!

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Hixee said:
I know you have other things in the pipeline, so I'm not really complaining, but maybe show off some of that stuff in your posts too!

And that I will do!

So first off, I added Giant Dipper to the park with Grizzly.

bQGz6Gl.png

QyARbs2.png

I added a rough pathway to the coaster's plaza.

k7lYMZU.jpg

The plaza currently consists of nothing but the coaster exit and an Observation tower. I am planning on adding benches and bins(and maybe a few custom 3Ds?). But for right now, it's just path with stuff.

Anyway, onto the WIP coaster!
pO4Lcg6.png

This will be a terrain-based B&M Invert ala Nemesis. It won't have too much inspiration you can point out, but I'll 'borrow' a few ideas. ;)

UMq6KGt.png

Here is the post-lift section. It's too big to be a predrop, but too small to be a main drop.

nRw3tkL.png

Right after that, the train will go through an overbank. This is as far as I got, but I do plan on adding a corkscrew right after this(like I said, Nemesis inspiration).

b5kyLZ8.png

Pre-lift. The train will turn out of the station into a little booster section to let it curve up to the lift hill. I usually do terrain before making a coaster, so I wanted it to follow the mountain, hence the odd pre-lift.

That's all for now. Feedback is welcome as always.