What's new

Star-Flyer for I-Drive Orlando

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews ... ction.html

ORLANDO --
Mystery revealed: The "largest of its kind" attraction coming to the I-Drive 360 complex was revealed Tuesday to be the Star Flyer, a chair swing ride that will stand 420 feet tall.

Unicorp National Developments unveiled the first images of the new attraction after teasing a major announcement for the last week. Developers said the application for the new ride's construction, expected to take 12–18 months, was submitted Tuesday morning to Orange County.

Once completed, the Star Flyer will stand taller than the currently bigger swing ride of its kind in the world, the 409-foot-tall New England SkyScreamer, which opened in May at Six Flags New England.

The Star Flyer will be built next to the Outback Steakhouse at the former Gooding's Plaza, which Unicorp announced Tuesday will be renamed the Vue at 360.

"This attraction activates I-Drive," said Unicorp President Chuck Whittall.

The new attraction will be adjacent to the sites of the under-construction Orlando Eye Ferris wheel, which will stand 400 feet tall once complete, and the planned Skyscraper roller coaster, which will rise to 570 feet tall. A ride-through video of the Skyscraper was released Monday.

The Star Flyer will include of 12 double-seat swing chairs, sending up to 24 riders spinning more than 400 feet in the air for 3–4 minutes. Officials

Developers said the Star Flyer will be similar to the ride of the same name in London, near the London Eye, but with minor altercations that will make Orlando's version unique.anticipated a $10 ticket price to ride the attraction.

Ten similar swing rides have been built around North America in the last three years, and 35 versions of the ride opened worldwide over the last decade.

This week's developments at I-Drive 360 come in conjunction with the 2014 IAAPA Attractions Expo, which also kicked off Tuesday. The annual expo, organized by the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions at the Orange County Convention Center, shows off the latest in amusement ride and theme park technology.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
Developers said the Star Flyer will be similar to the ride of the same name in London, near the London Eye, but with minor altercations

Are riders expected to have fisticuffs then?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
SilverArrow said:
Is there not already a star flyer at fun spot on I-Drive?
It's at Magical Midway, not Fun Spot. It's also on International Drive, but a few miles away from the I-Drive complex.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Oh OK, I knew there was a second Fun Spot but couldn't remember whether that place was one the other one. A lot of people call International Drive I-Drive hence my confusion.

I am assuming that this 360 place isn't the same as the Merlin development as that is literally 10 mins walk from the Midway? (I know that Merlin renamed their place and I haven't been closely following it for a while.)

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
300, this will surpass the New England Sky Screamer at Six Flags New England, currently the tallest tower swing ride at 410ft by 10 feet.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Hold on - I've only just clocked that this is 420ft!

Yeah... **** that.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
Oh my god that is vile, guessing it won't be open by September which is a shame... I'd hate it, but at the same time I would be first in line to experience it!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Finally got around to going on the ride today. I drive past it going to and from work. every single day... and hadn't bother to go on, even though I like to eat at the Chinese buffet in the same parking lot all the time, but today I spent my $11 and, well, it is what it is? Fun rides but I've been on 10 other Star Flyers including Six Flags New England +400 footer (and 5 of the Windseekers) so I wasn't wow'd... the cycle seems kinda short for the price... the view is ok but I Drive doesn't have much to look at. (same problem the wheel has) I'd probably ride it again though, if I had friends who wanted to go for a spin. Would like to try it at night as well.