What's new

South East Creds - Part 3: A Six Flags Day

Hutch

Strata Poster
Part 1 – Carowinds

My family and I usually do a major coaster trip (usually a few parks) around this time in June, so this time it we visited Carowinds, Dollywood, and Six Flags Over Georgia for the first time. Nice way to kick off the 2018 season.

On Friday, June 8th, we got up at an early morning goon time at 4 AM for a 6 AM flight out of Boston to Charlotte. We didn’t want to fly the previous night and spend an extra night at a hotel, and of course we chose an early flight which allowed us to get to Carowinds by its 10 AM opening.

Despite trying to go to bed at around 11:30 the previous night, I don’t think I fell asleep until after 1. I was still able to doze off on the plane, but even with that I still only had about 4-5 hours of sleep upon arrival.

After arriving, we picked up our rental car and made the short drive to Carowinds. We got to the parking a lot about 10 minutes before opening.

suYNmZ0.jpg

It's quite a sight to see two massive B&Ms greeting you at the front of the park. Fury in particular is a beast of a coaster, we first caught a glimpse of it miles from the park.

JGX8RtI.jpg

WABrxt1.jpg

kyOpifX.jpg

They park opened up by the time we hit the security line (staff had to pause to let the National Anthem play), so it was time for business. Leading up to the trip I expected some crowds for today, even wondered Fast Lane was necessary. We didn't use Fast Lane, and I'm glad we didn't because it was still a weekday and queues weren't too bad. I don't remember waiting longer than 10 minutes for anything.

As tempting as it was to ride one of the B&Ms first, the smart thing to do was to take out the low capacity crap first. We did Nighthawk first, which doesn't have low capacity but has a rather cumbersome loading process.

betEVpu.jpg

I was really happy that we did this first. I saw the line later in the day and it was pretty long, and the Carowinds app said it was 45 min. It wasn't a complete walk on when we did it, others filed into the line and it quickly started extending outside the station. We only had to wait for a few trains, but loading each train took a little while and the ops didn't seem the most efficient.

I did Firehawk a couple years ago and thought it was decent but uncomfortable. I was expecting something similar for Nighthawk but it was actually good! The restraints were actually comfortable throughout the ride and it was pretty smooth, except for the barrel rolls which were a little shaky. The loop is clearly the highlight with some pretty good forces on par with the B&M pretzel loop, and the transitions between the lying/flying positions were funky but fun. Even going up the lift hill was fine, and it gave good views of the early construction for their Mack launched coaster (I didn't spot any footers or track or anything, just a big patch of dirt with a lot of vehicles and work being done).

I liked it, and definitely prefer it over Firehawk. On top of that, it looks pretty decent over the little pond and trees. Solid way to start off the day.

LEeKlPO.jpg

wyUnos4.jpg

With that out of the way we looped around and found Flying Cobra, the park's boomerang. It is what it is.

IbEcy3X.jpg

To be fair though, the park seems to have been paying attention to it. It got a rename and a new paint job, so it looks kinda nice, especially with the multicolored cars. It also uses the newer Vekoma trains with the vest restraints, so at least there's no headbanging.

Next up was Ricochet. It had been a couple years years since I had done a wild mouse, and they're silly rides. I think they're more fun when you're with people, so we had a fun time on this (but I think part of that was because I hadn't done one in a while).

SGPDnhs.jpg

Before trying out the other crap I decided to have my 150th coaster on Fury 325. Yeah, I know 150 shouldn't be special milestone but I still think it's a nice round number so might as well.

Most of the peeps had rushed over to Fury at opening but thankfully due to better operations, high capacity, and three trains running we were on no problem. It was pretty sweet to be able to have a walk on for a coaster that many rate very highly of. What was really nice was that we were able to choose our row, despite signs indicating outside that rows were assigned for you. The ride op that checked my seat called me out for wearing a Skyrush shirt, claiming that the ride is boring and that Fury was the best ride in the world. Some people really are crazy, huh? ;)

I remember there was a lot of hype for this when it was brand new (probably too much hype?). Leading up to the trip I had almost forgotten that this was the top steel coaster on my bucket list for some time.

And the immediate area looks rather nice too.

oNoihmN.jpg

As for the ride? It's one of the most powerful B&Ms I've done, if not the most. We sat second to the last row for our first ride. The chain lift was a lot quicker than I expected, but still left plenty of time to take in the views. The first drop is incredible, it goes on for a good while. For me the drop is up there with Millennium Force, Skyrush, and Mako.

sVA49QZ.jpg

The turns in the first half of the ride have more positive g-forces than I was expecting, and the transitions in the banking are fun and floaty.

QsZnSt6.jpg

50zsIOH.jpg

rjU3pkW.jpg

k0rhoCp.jpg

XGhzjte.jpg

14F2kba.jpg

sD5NCGf.jpg

vPRCF3Z.jpg

What was easily a highlight of the ride was the treble clef. The train pins you in a tight turn with the most intense forces, before flinging you out of your seat on top and going underneath the bridge. The exit is taken at an angle too, so the airtime kind of throws you sideways, especially if you sit on the very left. Great mix of positives/laterals/negatives.

EQ1Vazq.jpg

JJxKu3G.jpg

IpxvBJt.jpg

MVGshmb.jpg

q526oVc.jpg

Then of course you have the airtime hills at the end, and surprisingly they were more sustained ejector than your typical B&M floater. The helix in between is easily the weakest part of the ride. The only thing it has it going for is a decent head chopper with the supports. Honestly, I imagine the only reason it's there is break the longest steel coaster record in North America ("We haven't broken the record yet? Quick, add a helix!").

It's quite a remarkable coaster, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations. The thing is, it actually did everything I expected it to do: fantastic first drop, great sense of speed throughout, fun banking transitions, great airtime. I think for me the positive g forces were a lot to handle. They're not nearly as bad as say, the rattle of Banshee, or the discomfort from Rita. Fury is perfectly smooth and the gs aren't extreme but they're quite consistent throughout the ride, even in between the airtime hills at the end. Another reason why I wasn't a huge fan of the positive forces was because I had a slight headache throughout the day, probably due to a lack of sleep. It's a very long and powerful ride, and after three back to back rides I needed a break! I think if this were toned down a bit I would've ranked it a bit higher, possibly creeping into my Top 10. Instead, I have it sitting at #17. Favorite moments were the first drop, treble clef exit, and final airtime hills.

Going in, I was expecting Fury to be a mix of Millennium Force and a B&M hyper. It has everything I love about Millennium Force and more, but it's not as gentle as a B&M hyper. I think if this had less turns and more airtime, or maybe even end sooner, it would've placed higher for me? I know Intimidator is across the park and is supposed to focus on airtime, but honestly, Fury has just as much airtime moments, possibly more (will talk about that later).

This has also gotten me thinking about Leviathan, which I haven't done. I always thought that Fury looked better due to the length, but after riding it, I think Leviathan could actually be more fun. I know it's shorter, but the bigger airtime hills look more appealing and I think the length could leave you wanting more, whereas Fury is just a lot. Maybe less is more?

So that's my review for Fury. We got three quick rides before moving onto the rest of the park.

We cleaned up the rest of the creds in the area, starting with Hurler. Pretty sure this a a mirror image of Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom. That thing was pretty brutal, despite getting some TLC at the time. So with Hurler I was expecting something similar if not worse.

w02Manm.jpg

It was fine, actually better than Thunder Run. There's a trim immediately after the drop, but it made the first turn more bearable and the rest of the ride a bit smoother than Thunder Run. Unfortunately there was basically no airtime on any of the hills. In theory the hills looked small enough to give some decent airtime but no, didn't rise out of the seat at all. I'm hoping they RMC this soon, Twisted Timbers clone or anything, but with the Mack coaster coming next year, this will probably be around for at least a few more years.

Carolina Cobra was next. The queue barely extended out of the station but the rides ops were taking their sweet ass time dispatching the trains. They had two trains running, which was impressive as it's just a typical Arrow double loopscrew, but that didn't really matter because it would take quite a few minutes for them to load and dispatch a train. During our ride we sat on the brake run for what seemed like a few minutes. I actually hoped there was a technical error because there was no way they ops should be taking that long, but no, they were still checking restrains. I didn't know what **** they were doing.

bgRPMS5.jpg

The ride was okay though. The loops were forceful and the corkscrews surprisingly had no head banging, and there was a "fun" helix at the end that surprised me. The transitions were a a bit uncomfortable though.

The track had an interesting color scheme, but it had some dirty spots. I think if they gave the ride more attention and actually discipline the ride ops it could be a little nicer.

lrZ5Xj1.jpg

XAVPFvt.jpg

Been a few years since I had done a stand-up, but Vortex was going to be extra special since I'd heard vile things about it.

IGPgawp.jpg

pBGNA0b.jpg

It was absolutely disgusting. Failed to live up to my low expectations. I was already done with it by the first loop. The forces in it were so bad and I greyed out until the top of the next hill. The second half of the layout wasn't as bad as the loop but I was already having a bad time couldn't wait to get off. Not to mention the layout is pretty uninspiring with most of the elements being turns or helices.

t2R0Jz6.jpg

KWTvcpz.jpg

I was even limping on my right leg as soon as I got off. I was fine in the long run, but these rides are just uncomfortable, sometimes painful, and not fun at all. Really glad that parks were smart enough not to invest in these anymore and that Cedar Fair took the hint and started converting some of them to floorless. Hopefully they'll convert this as well at some point, would be a HUGE improvement.

I needed a break after that. We had lunch at the place near Hurler and Fury and had some chicken tenders. Overpriced as expected, but the food was enjoyable. Actually, they let you have free cups of water, which is really nice. It was nice to sit down and relax for a bit. Thanks to the light crowds, we were being pretty leisurely.

After that we continued on with the rest of the creds. I actually looking forward to Carolina Goldrusher, mainly because all the crap we were doing earlier was starting to add up, especially after the unpleasantries of the boomerang, Hurler, Cyclone, and Vortex.

2MrQ221.jpg

I kind of like these Arrow mine trains. I think they're pretty fun even if they don't always do much. This one was smooth and had some nice turns and helices in trenches. There was even a fab underground tunnel at the very end, which caught me by surprise.

9Tlrlaw.jpg

That brought us over to the Windseeker. I really like these kinds of rides. I always try to do them whenever they're at a park, mainly for the views, but the breeze was refreshing as well. Don't have a picture of it unfortunately.

And of course, we eventually reached one of the better rides at the park, Afterburn.

F01Iav0.jpg

It was a walk on, so we did two quick rides (unfortunately in the same seats as they were assigning rows). It was pretty good! It's crazy to believe that I've done about a dozen of these B&M inverts now, and they're all solid rides. I like how this one has no MCBR and just flows through the entire layout and ends when it needs to. The inversions were good, highlight for me was of course the batwing, and the zero g was great too. There was a slight rattle throughout the ride, so it wasn't quite as great as I was hoping but still a very solid and intense ride. I thought it had potential to be very good, based on how others rate it and how it has a similar flow of inversions to Montu (which itself is an amazing ride). I think I have it ranked in the middle of all the B&M inverts I've done. It's good stuff.

k11Ww9T.jpg

IYC90xr.jpg

sW1TC5z.jpg

JxBHD0V.jpg

I had a few more creds to get, so we wandered into the kiddy area.

d70N90C.jpg

We did the family woodie Woodstock Express. Pretty sure this is a clone of the one at Kings Island and they're both actually pretty fun. The drops are sudden and there's some sharp transitions. On top of that you have one lap bar for the entire row, which is quite nice. Good kids ride.

9U2FmYF.jpg

And then there's Kiddyhawk, the Vekoma suspended family coaster.

vwXJ59o.jpg

This was the least memorable ride of the day (perhaps even the entire trip). I think this had OTSRs, which was kind of disappointing but it didn't ruin the ride. And I think the first helix after the lift hill had a little bit of force? I only rode this a few days ago but I'm already struggling remember! The one at Fun Spot Orlando is much better.

oss6uxg.jpg

Last cred of the day and I wanted it to be a good one: Intimidator.

tS1n9rq.jpg

This ride seemed to get mixed reviews, and while I thought it was one of the lower tier B&M hypers I've done, I still thought it was great. It was very smooth, I think one of the smoother hypers I've done. The first drop is fun as always and the floater airtime is fantastic as expected. The trims on the airtime hills weren't a problem, and I actually stayed toward the front of the train because I thought that could be a problem in the back.

4HSD642.jpg

The big thing that keeps me from rating it higher is that the layout is rather poor compared to other hyper coasters I've done. There's only three traditional airtime hills. While the first hill/turn after the drop and the turnaround halfway through are fine, the ride is basically over by the time the MCBR comes. Yeah there's still some solid floater before/after the MCBR and entering the helix, but the ride could use some more straight airtime hills in the layout.

Y4Yp1mp.jpg

At first, I was actually debating whether I liked this or Fury more. I decided that Intimidator is more re rideable, but Fury is the better coaster. Each has three traditional airtime hills, but Fury has the treble clef and better first drop. Both coasters could really use some more airtime hills though.

pb8NAri.jpg

I did one re ride by myself. The queue had extended outside the station, but it moved pretty quickly. They had three trains running, but for some reason they weren't using one of them and kept sending it through the circuit by itself. Not sure why they just put it away in the garage? I was able to find another single rider who was already waiting for the front, so I saved a couple minutes of waiting. And that ride was really fun!

Despite only getting two rides on Intimidator, we wanted to hit the road to Dollywood soon. I did grab one last ride on Fury by myself, and I was able to join a family of three waiting for the front row, and that was an awesome way to end the day. The young kid I sat with must've got the sense that I was a coaster enthusiast. "How many giga coasters have you ridden?"

j8M3UXx.jpg

And with that we were on our way out. I spent a few minutes taking some pictures of Fury outside the park and we got on the road by 3 PM. It was really nice that I was able to get all the creds in that time. Honestly, if we really wanted to we could have gotten all the creds in about three hours.

8fNrYVz.jpg

I know Carowinds seems to get mixed or poor reviews on here, but I enjoyed it. The park was clean some of of the areas look nice, with little ponds and trees sprinkled throughout the park. The "big three" B&Ms are great as expected, and Nighthawk is a surprisingly solid supporting ride.

Thee coaster selection has a lot of crap, but they have some potential to greatly improve that. The new Mack coaster, whatever it is, will be a huge gain for the park. RMCing Hurler is a no brainer and Vortex needs to be a floorless. Carolina Cyclone and Flying Cobras are meh, and the rest of the family coasters are fine.

The operations were also pretty inconsistent. The big three were all taken care of well, which is unsurprising as those are the biggest draws. The operations on stuff like Cyclone, Hurler, and Cobra weren't great, I know Cedar Fair is better than that.

One thing I don't really like is how they have people trying to take your picture at the front of the park. They did this at Kings Island as well. I wonder what the ratio is for photos sold to photos taken.

Just to compare to the other Cedar Fair parks I've done, I prefer Cedar Point and Kings Island over Carowinds, but we had a nice time. Don't know when I'll be back, that probably depends on when I'll return to Dollywood!

Speaking of which, next up... Dollywood!

oJLoQ4P.jpg

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I’ll also be visiting Carowinds for the first time soon! I’ll probably read your report again closer to the time to hype me up

The supporting coaster selection doesn’t seem great yeah (apart from maybe Nighthawk), but at least the big three B&Ms look great! I hope there isn’t too much seat assignment when I’m there either.

Really looking forward to your SFOG report as I visited last Friday; particularly your thoughts on the new Twisted Cyclone which I thought was fantastic!

Hutch

Strata Poster
For us, we encountered no seating assignments besides Afterburn (which was weird because that was a walk on). But honestly besides the B&Ms we would just try to find the shortest row anyway (or stick with the middle for potentially rough coasters). Actually, the staff member at Fury suggested assigned seating, but she was pretty relaxed about it and let us go wherever. I bet Fury depends on how long the line is, but if you're going on a weekday you should be fine.

Funny how you went to SFOG on Friday. Originally I thought about doing the trip in reverse and starting with that, we would've been there on the same day. But we decided to switch because we found cheaper flights and I think Carowinds on a Sunday would've been more stressful than Six Flags.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sounds like an excellent start to the trip! Fury is really excellent, I bloody love it. :)

Your thoughts echo many of mine from Carowinds to be honest - it was an oddly inconsistent park. They've got some great coasters, operated really well, and then some complete trash (looking at you Nighthawk...) operated terribly. I think the new Mack will have to something pretty special for me to make a return trip...

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
For us, we encountered no seating assignments besides Afterburn (which was weird because that was a walk on). But honestly besides the B&Ms we would just try to find the shortest row anyway (or stick with the middle for potentially rough coasters). Actually, the staff member at Fury suggested assigned seating, but she was pretty relaxed about it and let us go wherever. I bet Fury depends on how long the line is, but if you're going on a weekday you should be fine.

We’re going on a Sunday and Monday I think. But Sunday’s don’t generally seem too bad at parks in the US, so I’m not too worried. I only hope I’ll be able to get some back row rides on Afterburn because back row is a ‘must’ on inverts for me.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Your thoughts echo many of mine from Carowinds to be honest - it was an oddly inconsistent park. They've got some great coasters, operated really well, and then some complete trash (looking at you Nighthawk...) operated terribly. I think the new Mack will have to something pretty special for me to make a return trip...
If it's any kind of substantial Mack it'd probably be worth a return trip. Plus, while you're in the region you can always go back to Dollywood. ;)

We’re going on a Sunday and Monday I think. But Sunday’s don’t generally seem too bad at parks in the US, so I’m not too worried. I only hope I’ll be able to get some back row rides on Afterburn because back row is a ‘must’ on inverts for me.
Even if they do assigned seats, I'm sure you could probably ask for a specific row at Afterburn. We didn't try, but I don't see why they would object. Have fun, let me know if you have any questions, although honestly there's not much else I have to say outside my report. :D

Part Two - Dollywood

Was expecting the drive from Carowinds to Dollywood to be about 3.5 or 4 hours, but thanks to some repeated traffic, it turned out to be 5 hours. Fortunately we still arrived at a decent time of 8 PM, and the destination proved to be worth it. We stayed Dollywood's Dreammore Resort for two nights, and it was surprisingly very nice. It's on par with the Hard Rock Resort at Universal Orlando.

Like other theme park resorts, Dreammore provided some perks. The one I knew coming in was that every Saturday there's early entry for one of their major coasters, and thankfully on the day we go the coaster for ERT is non other than Lightning Rod! But that's not the big news. When we checked in on Friday night, we were informed that in morning we could pick up our complementary fast passes at the concierge! This was a very pleasant surprise, and it proved to be very helpful.

We were pretty starving, so after settling in and showering we ordered a pizza from the hotel and ate on the balcony outside the lobby. It was really nice to just chill out after a long day and take in the scenes.

1W25SKv.jpg

That night I passed out and slept like a baby before waking up a little before 8 AM to catch the 8:30 trolley to the park. We didn't see the park at all the previous day, so it's pretty interesting that the park is hidden in the hills, despite having a couple rather tall coasters. We waited around in line for about 10 minutes for the park to open, and honestly, time goes slower when you're waiting for a park to open.

Once it opened, we didn't waste any time and made a brisk walk to Lightning Rod, which is conveniently close to the entrance.

nNmXv9p.jpg

At first glance, the ride is much bigger than I expected. Pictures don't do it justice. The ride climbs up an impressive height, and the final turnaround itself is a massive structure.

NGFHudB.jpg

I was actually getting a little anxious as I hadn't seen the ride running yet. Considering the rough year it had in 2016, I had a small bit of of doubt that the ride was already having trouble.

I didn't have to worry though, ride was open no problem and, from what I saw throughout the day, it didn't have any sort of breakdown. We literally walked onto back row, first train of the day. How about that! Leading up to the trip I tried to keep my expectations in check but when the train left left the station I couldn't help but put a big goon smile on my face. This was at the top of my bucket list for a while and my first RMC woodie, so this was going to be special.

So how was Lightning Rod? You already know how it is. It's absolutely insane. Every element from the first drop to the brakes is a total wtf moment. I was in love when I first hit the brake run, instant Top 10. By the second or third ride it lived up to all the hype and sneaked into my #2 spot.

Hg6vTQD.jpg

Let's go into some more detail. The launch is a really fun way to kick off the ride, and you're up to the top within seconds. It slows down a bit towards the top, and the first little hill at the top is more gentle floater. At 73 degrees it's the least steep traditional RMC drop, but that doesn't matter because you already have a some good speed going and your ass it out of your seat for a good couple seconds. Then it just powers you through the rest of the elements. The wave turn is huge and so weird. I was expecting some kind of sideways airtime but I'd never experienced an element like it. There's some fantastic floaty air and I don't think I was prepared for it. But the airtime gets even better on the following elements. The 90 degree whip to the outside is crazy and feels like it's about to be an inversion. And then the banked airtime hill following gets you ready for what's about the come.

xu1Dabv.jpg

The double up and the quadruple down is clearly the highlight. I don't know which airtime hill was the best, there're all insane ejector individually but put them together you have rapid fire ejector and quick transitions. Again, I knew I was into something special for the quad down, but nothing could really prepare me for it as there's nothing else like it.

VasodzO.jpg

And you're still hauling ass and gaining speed as you go through another quick airtime hill underneath the structure, before powering through the final turnaround. Even going up that last big turn, the train still maintains it's perfect pace.

I0DXvXF.jpg

The brakes are very quick, and you're almost relieved when the train stops after trying to kill you for the last 30 seconds. But it's far from a rough or uncomfortable ride, you're just left processing everything and wondering what the **** just happened. It's been discussed recently on here, but you know it's a good coaster and your laughing a lot!

It's by far the smoothest wooden coaster I've done, honestly on par with say, an Intamin. That being said, it wasn't totally consistent. There's a bit of shakiness up the final leg of the launch, and the bottom of first drop is fairly rough (relative to the rest of the ride). I noticed these a lot more on my later rides, but it's nowhere close to what a traditional woodie is like.

The bottom of the drop is a bit rougher in the very back, so throughout the day I stuck with rows 4 or 5 where it wasn't as rough. I think it's also a bit better on the first row of any car. The furthest up front I sat was second row. Don't remember if it was much smoother up there but there's a bit of slow hang time on the first hop after the launch. I easily preferred the pull through towards the back, so I didn't go back to the front.

Thanks to the ERT, Timesaver Passes (although you could use it up to two times on Lightning Rod), and short queues later in the evening, I managed 13 rides throughout the day.

And of course the theming and surrounding area looks really nice. Gas station, cars, queue, shops, diner, they made a good effort to put in a lot of detail.

It was 9:45 when we got in line for our 4th ride. Even though it was still ERT a decently sized queue extended through the second floor, thanks to one train operations. The wait turned out to be close to an hour (which is still worth it), because when we got into the station they put on a second train and did test cycles. That process took a bit of time, but we got to check out the transfer track in action.

Mi4Evha.jpg

puMvmgv.jpg

So it was time to move on after that. It was already 10:45 when we left Lightning Rod, so more crowds had been let in, but thanks to the Timesavers we could be pretty leisurely. We made our way up the hill to pick up the other creds, checking out some of the other stuff on the way.

OYT8STD.jpg

RNHx6gp.jpg

Did Blazing Fury, which was amusing. More of a glorified dark ride tbh, but definitely a cred. Kind of reminds me of Black Diamond at Knoebels. It's funny how both of them are a dark ride 90% of the time and one small coaster element is enough to make it a cred. My favorite part was the "Looking for a husband" section.

wpI1uwM.jpg

The walk uphill eventually brought us to the other creds, starting with Tennessee Tornado. No need for fast passes here as it was almost a walk on (same case for Blazing Fury).

9UgcEx3.jpg

It was pretty solid. The drop is pretty good for an arrow looper, partly due to the pre drop after the lift hill but especially because the main drop is completely underground. The loop is HUGE. In fact some of the shaping is pretty weird and you notice it as you're going through. It's a little uncomfortable in some sections, but it's a fairly intense ride, especially with the second and third inversions. I liked it though, even did it a second time later, which I don't normally do with Arrow loopers. I think Loch Ness Monster is more enjoyable for me, but Tornado is probably my second favorite Arrow looper.

rpFBE6i.jpg

app89Ak.jpg

I also didn't realize this thing was built in '99, I assumed earlier. It makes sense though, and you can tell it's one of Arrow's later coasters.

Timesavers were very useful for Firechaser Express, letting us bypass a 30 minute queue and assigning us the front row.

z2Jai15.jpg

GWdBKH8.jpg

Again, this was another solid coaster. The launches were actually more fun than I thought they'd be despite only launching at like 16 mph, and the rest of the layout is comfortable and enjoyable. I think there might've been one or two okay airtime moments, but it was still fun throughout and had a good length. The firework room halfway through was my favorite part. The theming and effects were good and the backwards launch was fun.

4B4Er11.jpg

Og12SYF.jpg

e29hpfJ.jpg

zrQwKJb.jpg

Wild Eagle of course was up next.

Mm04TYU.jpg

This is another coaster that's a lot taller in person. Of course, because of the terrain, the lift hill needs to be quite big. I do like the setting of the ride, and how you can catch glimpses of it from different areas of the park.

rqQ0zxH.jpg

GFwskBw.jpg

We did two quick rides and I wasn't that impressed. I really like the other wing riders I've done but this was easily my least favorite. It was just okay. The first drop is decent, actually it's decently steep for a B&M looper. There was some decent force entering the loop, but other than that, the inversions were just kind of...forgettable? I remember going through them but they didn't seem to particularly do much. You know, I think my favorite part actually might've been the last couple turns hills as there's some fun gentle floater.

NSn6qH9.jpg

HRwJzZv.jpg

What's actually the big detractor about this ride are the vest restraints. I've been spoiled by Thunderbird and Gatekeeper which don't lock the vest, unlike Wild Eagle. They're pretty bad on the brake run. I'm a scrawny guy, and I was starting to lose circulation in my arms by the time we returned to station. I don't know why they haven't fixed that yet.

I think the vests kind of got in the way for me. Actually they're fine during the actual ride, but I kept focusing on whatever I could do make it better, which is why I didn't enjoy it as much as I should've. On the lift hill and brake I kept trying to push the vest out, but I probably should've just focused on the ride itself.

Our first two rides were on the right side. I did a third ride later on the left side, which I thought was much better.

Mystery Mine was another ride that would have been a pain to get without Timesavers. We bypassed a big queue and got front row.

ETsKXU1.jpg

This is a funky ride, ain't it? The indoor sections are fun, as are the little indoor drops (the drop out the station is amusing). The first outdoor section was rather poor. The near vertical drop is a bit unnecessary as it's so small, so the transitions are tight. The overbanked turn following is the worst element, as there's a pretty bad jolt that slams you into the restraint. The rest of that section is more tame but I don't really understand why it's there. It's not very inspiring.

coysRZu.jpg

T5rsbAD.jpg

Minor spoilers ahead.

Fortunately the ride ends on a high note as it goes back into the indoor section. The second lift hill and drop are definitely the highlight. I wasn't expecting to be held at the top, and the fire effects were cool. There's actually a bit of a twist on the drop too which was unexpected.

0hWHDyq.jpg

And the inversions are pretty good as well. The transitions aren't the best, but better than other Gerstlauer coasters. Even the extended hangtime in the dive loop is fine.

k9L9cgg.jpg

7b3oQ0p.jpg

0uuSvfS.jpg

Part of me wishes it did a little more after that. You immediately slam into the brake run after the dive loop, killing the momentum. Then again, a few more elements probably would've taken away the excitement from the drop.

It's probably not the best Euro-Fighter when it comes to quality elements and smooth transitions, but honestly I think it might be my favorite mainly because of the impressive theming and buildup to the final elements. The beyond vertical drops are usually the highlights of the Euro-Fighters, so I like how this one builds up to that at the end rather than starting with it immediately.

We had some lunch and then got the last two creds. Whistle Punk Chaser is just your typical drop/helix kiddie cred. I had the pleasure of going around the circuit three times. The most violent part of the ride was the bump in the station as it goes back up the lift hill.

aG68E4d.jpg

Equpjgb.jpg

Surrounding the kiddie cred is the much more substantial Thunderhead. I had already done a few GCIs, the notable ones being Lightning Racer and White Lightning, which I thought solid but not impressive. Thunderhead apparently was one of the "good" ones, so I was pretty interested to see out it turned out.

VmXanGD.jpg

As I rode it more I really started to appreciate it much more. It's really what a stereotypical woodie is like, and actually good. It throws you around a lot, and there's some quick laterals and pops of airtime scattered throughout. It's rough, but padded seats make it better, especially on the laterals.

KLoOQf8.jpg

I was really impressed with the layout. I've seen POVs of this ride in the past, but I still didn't have a clear idea of what the layout was like. It's quite long and it's very unpredictable. What was also really impressive was the pace it maintains, even towards the very end.

I thought it was great, second best ride in the park, and easily the best GCI I've done. I still don't have it rated it in my Top 30, but it's probably pretty close. I'm interested to see how other GCI's like Renegade and Mystic Timbers are like.

That brought us back to the front of the park. We wanted to do the Dollywood Express, so we made our way over there. With some of the shows and most of the family rides at the front of the park, it had become a little more crowded.

2TnRlG8.jpg

AM5iEWN.jpg

We probably could've timed the train ride a little better. There's only one train, but it had an impressive capacity (we estimated it could fit around 500 peeps). There was a 2PM departure and we got to the station at 1:30, and there's already hundreds of people waiting outside. They finally let us on at 1:45.

CwBD1NW.jpg

hbphhlH.jpg

f0agj3d.jpg

QSJoy4P.jpg

hya9TCX.jpg

Of course they have this huge plot of land cleared for their expansion. Seems like they're doubling the size of the park.

ctTp1iC.jpg

O8JBVu5.png

wJhYkDl.png

2hahDsZ.jpg

SwtnjsX.jpg

5Q8tpGW.jpg

aYvkBJo.jpg

The train was cool and the views were nice. It's about a half hour ride but that along with all the waiting to get on the thing made it a longer process. Eventually I was eager to get off and get back on the coasters.

SK0ZOOH.jpg

Lightning Rod gained a pretty consistent queue after we left it, but Timesavers again allowed us to pass an hour+ wait.

OQLOIsR.jpg

After that I went around the park one more time on my own, not only getting re rides on Tennessee Tornado, Wild Eagle, and Thunderhead, but also trying out a couple flat rides. First I did Barnstormer. Glad I did this, these are probably my favorite type of flat ride. The floater is just sooo good and leaves you wanting more.

ZY1hJl7.jpg

Was thinking about doing Daredevil Falls, as it actually looks really nice and would've been a pleasant cool down. But there was a big queue and couldn't use Timesaver.

4jJZiKv.jpg

XH4GGnP.jpg

On the other side of the hill near Thunderhead is Drop Line, their new drop tower. Honestly, I mainly did this for the views, but the drop is good fun.

dbHweSD.jpg

I wanted to go back to the hotel for a bit for a shower and dinner, so at 4:30, after my re ride on Thunderhead, I caught the next shuttle bus. We decided to order food at the hotel pool and I had a pretty sweet chicken sandwich. I then took a 6:15 shuttle bus back to the park on my own. It's a nice feeling to enter the park and seeing everyone else walk towards the exit.

Anyway, you already know what my plans were: marathoning Lightning Rod for two and a half hours.

ltb9I8d.jpg

I had could use my Timesaver one more time on Lightning Rod, but I almost didn't use it because the normal queue barely extended outside the station. Even the displayed wait time was wrong too. When I showed it said 55 minutes when in reality it was only 10.

I did take a water break at some point (yay for free water!) and chilled for a bit outside the ride.

awbckEk.jpg

A39xH1j.jpg

TCDGXHx.jpg

The park closed at 9, so while I never got dark enough for any night rides, but the dusk rides were lovely. The launch faces in the west, so when you come up over the hills on top you're greeted with a beautiful red sunset.

HmBRHtn.jpg

Even with all my re rides, I couldn't place it any higher than #2. It's sooo close to Skyrush though, practically knocking its door. I think the thing that keeps Skyrush on top were the handful of true night rides I got, while I couldn't get any night rides on Lightning Rod. And I think the airtime is still crazier on Skyrush, even if Lightning Rod's is probably "better," especially with the lack of pain. And the quad down might be the single greatest element on a roller coaster. I really need to get back and ride Skyrush again, because I do think there's a chance Lightning Rod can still overcome it. I rode Skyrush three years ago when I had around 70 creds. 100 creds later I have Lightning Rod, which is very comfortable in the #2 spot. Both were instant Top 10 on my first ride each.

YPbC48o.jpg

So I thought Dollywood lived up to all the hype it gets. The staff are very friendly, operations are good, theming is well done, and everything just looks really nice. Lightning Rod is as good as everyone says it is, and honestly I enjoyed all the other rides I did. It has everything that a good theme park should be.

Okay, I actually didn't try the cinnamon bread. Honestly we probably could've planned it out a little bit better in our day, but by the time we got around to thinking about trying it it was the afternoon. It also looked like I was the only one going to eat it, and I didn't feel the need to eat all of it. If there were smaller servings I probably would've.

Up next is Six Flags Over Georgia.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Day 3 - Six Flags Over Georgia

The last time I went to a Six Flags park on a weekend it was a bit of a **** show, so I was expecting something similar here. I anticipated the visit being more of a cred run, especially since we had a flight out of Atlanta that evening. I was sort of right. We banged out some of the creds pretty quickly with no problems early on, and we even did a few of the flat rides. It got a bit more annoying later on when queues started building and operation flaws become more obvious. The only re rides I actually got were on Goliath, and I actually missed (well, skipped) one of the creds. We were only in the park for about fours hours, which is decent time tbh considering all the creds I had to get.

We hit the road at 6 AM and got to the park with time to spare before opening. For some reason, and I forget if it's like this at other Six Flags parks, the public opening was at 10:30, which is a weird time.

qs2gwr1.jpg

Twisted Cyclone was actually running already, but it already had a decent queue and I guess it was for season pass holders or something.

kf9R6uF.jpg

As I expected, as soon as the park opened most of the people flocked over to Goliath, leaving the rest of the creds empty. We got on second train of the day on Dare Devil. Good thing we did because a queue was quickly building up behind us. We did front row, and for some reason some people behind us failed to notice the empty lines for second and third row, which caused some slight delay.

lxBoEo2.jpg

nSxG6OH.jpg

The ride is fine. Actually, lap bars alone probably make this the best Gerstlauer I've done when it comes to the ride itself, as it's pretty smooth and the transitions are actually good. Then again, other than the good first drop and the final hangtime inversion, the rest of it is kind of just there? I dunno, but it was actually about what I expected. I think my favorite Gerstlauer is now Mystery Mine, mainly for the excellent theming, even if coaster itself isn't the best.

Next up was my second Batman: The Ride clone. The first one I did was at Great Adventure, one train operations, ****ing hour wait. But at least I thought the ride was pretty good. I think I actually prefer this one because it wasn't quite as intense as the GAd one, making it more enjoyable. Also the color scheme here is nicer.

V8BCaCx.jpg

We walked onto the back row and it's a great little layout. All the inversions are good and you go through them pretty quickly. I only did one ride, but it was enough for me to prefer it over Afterburn. Normally this coaster is worth a re ride, but they're everywhere so no need to spoil myself. Also I had creds to get.

4VRxCkH.jpg

Some people seem to rave about Mind Bender. Well, not rave, more like rate it higher than it probably deserves. It's about what I expected: pretty fun ride, especially for it's age. But far from greatness.

X6AwfiI.jpg

PiilOsf.png

cr681F8.png

VSiEp6n.jpg

The loops are good, back row gave some good airtime on the drops, has a decent setting, and there's lap bars. There's nothing wrong with it but there's nothing mind blowing (or how about mind bending? ;)) about it. Probably my favorite Schwarzkopf looper, though the only other ones I've done are SooperDooperLooper and Scorpion.

vwtMJXf.jpg

With those first three creds taken care of pretty quickly, we went all the way to the other side of the park in the back. We were gonna do Superman next, but it was closed. Same with Great American Scream Machine. They opened shortly later, but I guess they didn't bother to get the damn things open in time.

So we had to settle for Blue Hawk.

Wasn't looking forward to this one bit thanks to the horror stories I've heard. But honestly, it was fine. Thankfully, the new generation trains didn't make it a torture rack. It was still a poor ride though. Vekoma can try all they want to upgrade the trains on their old rides, but they're still gonna ride like crap.

032MreX.jpg

I think I might prefer this over the boomerangs though, mainly because it's not a boomerang.

Just next to Blue Hawk was Sky Screamer. Like the Windseekers, I always try to do these types of rides. I loved the one at SFNE, as it's 400 ****ing feet tall and kind of terrifying. This one was still a little nerve racking thanks to the speed and sketchy chains holding you up. But it's not as tall and it's hard to enjoy the view at the speed your'e spinning around at. I actually preferred the Windseeker from the other day because it's taller and more relaxing.

TZKfp3M.jpg

The two coasters we passed decided to open up, so we did Great American Scream Machine. This was actually kind of fun, even if it wasn't exactly a quality ride. It was much bigger than I expected. Seeing the rest of the long layout was quite surprising as we creaked over the second hill.

5h8VbEl.jpg

p3Ovh2c.jpg

6VEAHmJ.jpg

We did the back row, which might've been a mistake considering the roughness here, especially in the valleys. There's some decent, if a little uncomfortable, airtime on some of the hills too. Unfortunately there's a trim just after the last turn, so there's basically no airtime on the final bunny hills.

GcL6x3I.jpg

Pretty sure everyone takes this same picture. But the exit path has a little viewing platform here, so might as well.

hLkEZ7X.jpg

So I thought it was okay. I bet they definitely considered RMCing this over Georgia Cyclone, as it's a pretty big layout with a lot of opportunity, but I'm glad it's around.

Superman: Ultimate Flight was next, although we were forced to get a locker.

chDFrIf.jpg

I like B&M flyers, mainly for the pretzel loop but the flying position is cool too. But the only truly great one I've done is Manta. I still like Air and the Superman clones, but they're layouts are pretty poor. For Superman, the ride is basically over after the pretzel loop. The turns after that aren't incredibly interesting, but at least they saved the final twist for the end. The landscaping here made this more interesting than the one at Great Adventure, where the ride is just plopped on some flat land.

lwEKbb7.jpg

Despite the poor layout, it's still enjoyable. I was actually considering a re ride but the ride ops were being pretty slow. They had two people locking restraints, one was much slower than the other, and they had an inconsistent pattern for which seats they checked. Also, this ride made a horrendous noise whenever it switched into the flying/sitting position.

While we were in the area, we decided to check out Justice League: Battle for Metropolis. This ride has no business being at a Six Flags park. I've heard statements about how this is basically the next best dark ride after the Universal/Disney simulation rides, and wasn't convinced when I heard that. But honestly it's true. The theming is well done (even if I'm not huge fan of the IP) and the graphics are decent. I didn't love the 3D effects but it was probably the best shooter ride I've done. Six Flags loves to **** out a bunch of clones at all their parks, and this isn't a bad choice.

Now we were gonna get ride Joker's Funhouse Coaster, but there was a lengthy queue on what I was pretty was one train operations. We almost did it, but I figured the queue would be at least 30 minutes, and I'm not waiting that long just for a +1. I definitely could've plan this out better, maybe get it on the way to the back of the park, but oh well. We didn't have all the time in the world, so we didn't come back to it.

zif2s1n.jpg

So the next cred was the Dahlonega Mine Train. This actually had a pretty crowded station, and I think it was only running one train, but somehow we managed to grab the back row in almost no time. This ride was pretty violent, in a funny way. The back row made some of the transitions pretty bumpy and they almost hurt! It was fun though, and it had a great finale tunnel. Three lift hills is a bit much though.

Acrophobia had a short queue so I decided to check it out as it's one of the more unique drop towers. It was certainly impressive. The tilt at the drop is slight, but enough to direct your attention at the ground below. The drop was good as usual but the brakes seemed a lot lower than usual, catching me by surprise. The main drawback is that the position your sitting in just isn't that comfortable.

Twisted Cyclone still had a decently sized queue, so we decided to save it for later. We wandered back up toward Goliath.

Forgot this part was here. Probably the nicest part of the park tbh.

JhRYgk9.jpg

The queue for Goliath itself was never more than a station wait, but the annoying thing was getting lockers. One of the payment machines was broken, so there'd be a queue just for that. You have to go through it to enter the queue, and the area was tight, so there's always be a group of people packed in there.

Anyway, the operations here were good for Six Flags, and good enough so that the second train only had to wait on the brake run for a brief time. We did a few back-to-back rides here, and the coaster got better each time (I feel like that's typically the case for B&M hypers).

rcj3ytp.jpg

The first drop is one of the weaker drops for a B&M hyper, probably the weakest. Pretty sure it's less than 60 degrees, but it's solid a solid enough.

GNBjVF5.jpg

The rest of the layout is very strong. There's no MCBR which is awesome, and, unsurprisingly, the floater airtime is fantastic.

rUWuiaX.jpg

j0tuz5D.jpg

kxTVAt6.jpg

Gwo7ntd.jpg

kd6WrRv.jpg

The famous helix is very intense and lasts a good while too. I greyed out a couple times.

QuEfiwD.jpg

aTJS35X.jpg

I loved the return leg after the overbank. There are three smallish airtime hills, and on the last one you're surrounded by trees. Great finale there.

tGvDlQg.jpg

Q6Ktbmi.jpg

LBqO0jS.jpg

4bDKTIN.jpg

rU8wgju.jpg

6Xk3gtH.jpg

There's an unfortunate rattle in the valleys, but it wasn't there on my third ride. I did the single rider queue that time (it only starts in the station, but that was fine as the main queue wasn't big) and snagged a front row seat almost immediately. No rattle here, and I didn't grey out in the helix (and honestly I'm not a huge fan of greying out). Definitely my best ride.

Goliath was excellent, I can see why many think it's one of the better B&M hypers. It was definitely better than Fury and Intimidator. Mako is still my favorite by a long shot, after that it's Nitro, then Goliath. I actually debated between Nitro and Goliath, they're right next to each other. I decided to put Nitro above because I don't remember getting a rattle at all. I could see Goliath overtaking it though, that depends on how I'm feeling or whenever I reride Nitro.

I did the other two creds by myself, mainly so we didn't have to pay for another locker (they have them on at least four of the coasters!). First I had to deal with Georgia Scorcher. I tried to use the single rider line but it was blocked off (think the gate at the loading bay wasn't working).

After the monstrosity that was Vortex at Carowinds I wasn't looking forward to this one bit.

OFZbks9.jpg

hNWKx6R.jpg

It was much better than Vortex, mainly because this didn't try to amputate your legs. But this also had a more interesting layout. It focuses more on quick banking transitions and it had a straight first drop. It was probably the best stand up coaster I've ridden, which isn't saying much because it still wasn't a good ride.

xHrQ8Tb.jpg

TgATS3Y.jpg

At long last, it was time to try out the brand new RMC. Twisted Cyclone still had a decent queue, almost taking up all of the queue space it had. The wait was actually shorter than I expected. I think from entering the queue to getting off the ride, it all took about a half hour, which is fine especially considering the quality of the ride. Unfortunately, I only had time for one ride as we had to get going soon, so I made sure to get back row (sooo nice that there's no assigned seating, unlike Wicked Cyclone). It started drizzling a bit when I got on, but thankfully Six Flags doesn't care about weather and didn't close the ride.

I remember a lot of people, including myself, being rather underwhelmed by the layout when it was announced. I started to warm up to it as construction took place, but still thought it looked like one of the weaker RMCs, mainly due to the length. That's not to say my expectations were low. It was an RMC after all!

I had kind of forgotten about the little bumps before the lift hill. I had never understood why RMC did these, but this kind of silly and fun. The first drop was pretty good, it helped that I was sitting in the back, and there's a decent head chopper coming on the way down. I hadn't done an Iron Horse in two years, so coming down the drop I remembered "That's right, these things are so smooth!". The twisted horseshoe roll was good, although a bit forgettable compared to the rest of the rides. The wave turn wasn't as great as I was expecting, but still very cool. I had definitely been spoiled by Lightning Rod's wave turn, which is miles better. Then the ride starts to get really good. It starts to do some traditional airtime for the second half, and the airtime is very strong. The hills coming in and out of the turnaround were easily my favorite part. The zero g roll is decent but then there's more airtime after that! It gives you a few more airtime hills to play with and before you know it you hit the brakes.

wJJU2px.jpg

Despite only one ride, this was very impressive and enough to make it the best ride in the park for me. I was pretty surprised by the strong airtime, and the short length became an afterthought when you realize the pace this thing maintains. I don't love the inversions, there's nothing bad about them but they're not as memorable as the airtime. The wave turn was cool and funky but not the highlight I was expecting.

I decided I like this better than Wicked Cyclone, mainly due to the stronger airtime and better pace. Twisted Cyclone has its better elements in the second half, while my favorite elements of Wicked Cyclone are in the first half (i.e. stall and some of the early airtime hills). I decided to keep Storm Chaser ahead, mainly because there's more of that strong airtime. Had I got more rides on TC, I could've seen it overtake Storm Chaser (bear in mind, I rode Storm Chaser before it got faster). Lightning Rod is obviously the best, but let's not have it steal the spotlight. ;)

So we left the park after that. We timed it well too because it had actually started raining more as we started driving. We ate a late lunch at the airport, which was probably a better move than eating in the park.

So Six Flags Over Georgia... you could say we had a "Six Flags" day. Honestly, almost every time I'm at a Six Flags park, I leave dissatisfied. The coaster selection is pretty good, Twisted Cyclone and Goliath being the obvious standouts and everything else being decent to good supporting coasters (other than Blue Hawk), but the rest of the park isn't up to standards. As usual, the operations aren't good, honestly almost frustrating. To be fair, dispatches were fine with Goliath, Batman, and Mindbender (although the latter two was due to the rides being empty). The other rides could've been better with that, especially Superman and Twisted Cyclone. Superman felt worse because the flyer dispatch process already makes it a bit of a pain. Twisted Cyclone makes me believe that Six Flags does not know how to run an RMC. First they need to check your seat belts, then they'll go back around and put down the lap bar for you. Wicked Cyclone does this too, and it's just unnecessary. Dollywood proved that with Lightning Rod... just strap yourself in and they can check both no problem.

On top of that, there are other weird things like having one train on Blue Hawk stay empty as it goes round the circuit, not bothering to discipline riders who clearly had their phones out on the ride (despite giving them clear warnings), some of the coasters not being open on time, and single rider queues starting in the station. Twisted Cyclone had a single rider queue, but it wasn't helpful for me because I had to wait through the normal line anyway. If I'm waiting in line, might as well choose a nice seat.

And of course you have the usual Six Flags **** like greedy lockers on a lot of the big coasters. I know other chains do this, but they do a better job because they're either only in one or two spots (i.e. Carowinds/Fury), completely optional (i.e. Dollywood), or free (i.e. Universal). And not to mention the poor cleanliness and shameful attempts at theming (aside from the shooter).

Ironically, every time we'd exit the ride the staff on the mic would say "Have a Six Flags day." It's as if they want us to have a mediocre time at the park. :rolleyes:

Six Flags Over Georgia has potential to be good, even great, especially with this coaster lineup. I mean, the coaster lineup here is better than Carowinds and Dollywood. Besides Lightning Rod, Twisted Cyclone and Goliath were the bests rides of the trip weekend. Six Flags just needs to learn how to manage the park (ALL their parks) a little better (better operations, less lockers, nicer areas).

On that happy note, that concludes this report. Hope you enjoyed reading. Sorry it got pretty text heavy just now (shame I didn't get any more pics of Twisted Cyclone). Have a sunset photo from the plane instead.

mr7wJ0L.jpg

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Also, this ride made a horrendous noise whenever it switched into the flying/sitting position.
Urgh, forgot to mention this in my report. It was disgusting!

Shame you didn’t get to spend longer at the park and had to deal with their burdenous locker system. I can imagine how annoying it is. Interesting to see which coasters we agree on (most of them I think tbh) and which we have different views on (mostly Blue Hawk I guess). I agree you with about TC, the first two elements are good but the airtime is definitely the highlight <3. Kinda glad I’ve done it before Lightning Rod otherwise I’d probably a bit less enthusiastic ;)

I’d rate Goliath above Mako and Nitro myself. Well, only a tiny bit above Mako, and I guess Nitro might have not been running particularly strong for me. Glad to see you enjoyed the other coasters there also, it does have a pretty good collection, especially now with TC. I’m gonna try and do Justice League on second visit before flying home. I remember being impressed by the one at Over Texas in 2015, so glad to hear they haven’t skimped on theming with the newer ones.

Side Note: Great pictures for your entire report!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Honestly going from Lightning Rod to Twisted Cyclone wasn't a problem, it just came down to expectations. Lightning Rod there was a lot of worthy hype going into it and Twisted Cyclone I still had generally high expectations, but it was still a big difference. I think I was still buzzing from Lightning Rod the previous day that a couple times I remembered "Oh yeah, there's a new RMC here." Both exceeded expectations.

The more unfortunate part going from Dollywood to finishing off with Six Flags. All the issues with Six Flags feel even worse after immediately coming from a really friendly and overall fantastic park.

Glad you liked the pictures too. I've actually been meaning take a photography class at school, and perhaps get my hands on a real camera (everything here is taken off my iPhone 7).

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
The more unfortunate part going from Dollywood to finishing off with Six Flags. All the issues with Six Flags feel even worse after immediately coming from a really friendly and overall fantastic park.

Dollywood sounds like an amazing park, and Silver Dollar City is already one of my absolute favourites, so I’m very glad to hear your positive thoughts. It’s the last major park on my trip and I can’t wait to spend two days there <3

Also, definitely think about those photography classes :)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Great report! Glad to see you enjoyed Twisted Cyclone, looks like our reviews of it are pretty much the same, though I wouldn't even consider putting it ahead of Wicked Cyclone. Wicked Cyclone has stronger airtime magnitude and those lovely drivers ed turns all around, to me Twisted Cyclone feels more like Baby Wicked Cyclone. Both are great rides though. Looks like Lightning Rod also worked up a bit of grit to it, might have to get back down and see if I still rank it as highly as I did in November 2016.

Looks like you had fun though! That's a well-rounded triangular region there with some great parks with diverse lineups. You should totally try to spend more time in Pigeon Forge next time though, their alpine coasters are the bomb.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Great report! Glad to see you enjoyed Twisted Cyclone, looks like our reviews of it are pretty much the same, though I wouldn't even consider putting it ahead of Wicked Cyclone. Wicked Cyclone has stronger airtime magnitude and those lovely drivers ed turns all around, to me Twisted Cyclone feels more like Baby Wicked Cyclone. Both are great rides though. Looks like Lightning Rod also worked up a bit of grit to it, might have to get back down and see if I still rank it as highly as I did in November 2016.

Looks like you had fun though! That's a well-rounded triangular region there with some great parks with diverse lineups. You should totally try to spend more time in Pigeon Forge next time though, their alpine coasters are the bomb.
The three iron horses I've done are all right next to each other, it's actually a little awkward. Storm Chaser is #10 overall, Twisted Cyclone is #11, Wicked Cyclone is #12, if I remember correctly. I really need more rides on Storm Chaser and Twisted Cyclone to confirm their placement. Top priority is more RMCs though!