What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

cookie

Giga Poster
Miragica in Italy (home to the Intamin accelerator Senzafiato) has officially been declared bankrupt due to the owner, Alfa Park, being liquidated. The park shut in late 2018 and interested buyers were sought, but all negotiations fell apart in October of last year in part due to the corona crisis. The court has ordered creditors to examine the status of the park by February 22nd, and whether the park will be saved or demolished is unknown.

The park had lost a cumulative 22.7 million Euros by the end of 2019 with a negative net asset value of 14.9 million against a cumulative debt of 21 million. Alfa Park also previously operated Rainbow MagicLand in Rome, but that park was successfully sold to a private equity firm in 2018.

Source (in Italian)

cookie

Giga Poster
Walibi Holland will have the area surrounding Lost Gravity, the Crazy River log flume, Drakko (the Zerier Tivoli) and others be renovated for the 2022 season. The Wild West theme that existed prior to Lost Gravity's construction will be removed entirely in favour of the "Zero Zone," themed to make LG better fit in with its surroundings. Currently, the area surrounding El Condor (plus new trains), El Rio Grande rapids and the 'Los Sombreros' flat ride is being renovated for the 2021 season.

Source: Looopings (in dutch)

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
Walibi Holland will have the area surrounding Lost Gravity, the Crazy River log flume, Drakko (the Zerier Tivoli) and others be renovated for the 2022 season. The Wild West theme that existed prior to Lost Gravity's construction will be removed entirely in favour of the "Zero Zone," themed to make LG better fit in with its surroundings. Currently, the area surrounding El Condor (plus new trains), El Rio Grande rapids and the 'Los Sombreros' flat ride is being renovated for the 2021 season.

Source: Looopings (in dutch)
So this will happen in the closed season 2021/22 in time for 2022 or will it happen during 2022?!

cookie

Giga Poster
Speaking of Walibi and El Condor, apparently parts of the supports after the sea serpent roll had to be cut to provide clearance for the new trains.

1qwqr42a2hd61.jpg

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Speaking of Walibi and El Condor, apparently parts of the supports after the sea serpent roll had to be cut to provide clearance for the new trains.

1qwqr42a2hd61.jpg

Surely that has drastically weakened the supports though? And it doesn't appear they have even added any extra bracing to compensate for this.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Yeah I bet they haven’t taken structural integrity or anything into consideration at all. Probably just got some odd job handyman in to do it.
That is NOT what I was implying... I said that I'm surprised they haven't needed to add any extra bracing, like when stuff like this has been done before. Doesn't mean to say I don't think they know what they're doing.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It's not just cutting the supports back, they have also removed a couple too (can't remember if that's been mentioned here already). It's definitely a weird situation, and I can't think of any situations off the top of my head where rides have just had supports removed in such a fashion?

Obviously, whatever they're doing will still leave the ride safe. But it's still odd to say the least.

But also, I like how Walibi Holland have gone through a quiet, not noticeable, renovation of the park over recent years. The introduction of Lost Gravity in 2016 was something good for the park after a period of time with nothing major. But then to revitalise areas of the park year-on-year since 2018 is great. Come the refresh of the Zero Zone, it will mean the only area of the park that hasn't seen any work is the random family flat ride area and Speed of Sound (which could well be done in 2023). Obviously something like this isn't groundbreaking news, but it's great to see them develop in a clear direction. Be interesting to see what they do after they finish the renovation.

And, speaking more broadly, it really underlines how well the Compagnie des Alpes have dealt with their parks in recent years. Much focus is on Walibi Holland Belgium, naturally. But Rhone-Alpes and Bellewaerde's investments have been bang on the money too. Asterix going from strength to strength. Futuroscope's future looks bright. It's all mighty impressive.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Looks like Condor's refurbishments are being handled by Most, supervised by Vekoma.

These guys have refurbished numerous old Vekomas so I have complete faith that they know what they're doing.

Last edited:

solarfall

Mega Poster
Didn't see this posted anywhere else, feel free to delete if I missed it.

Used B&M bat clone is up for sale. Even though these are nothing new, I think this is cool news since now some park that could use a good invert but might not be able to afford it can scoop one up at a more reasonable price (assuming it's still in decent condition)

Last edited: