What's new

SeaWorld San Diego | Emperor | B&M Dive Coaster | 2022

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Sorry if this already has a thread, but as this rumour wasn't leaked by SeaWorld, I decided that it was worth its own thread. Basically, I was reading an article on Behind The Thrills today that implied that SeaWorld San Diego might receive a new coaster in 2020. In fact, they even said that there's a rumour saying that the ride would possibly exceed 200ft, which is very exciting news!

Admittedly, I am a little sceptical of it being above 200ft, as I thought that the San Diego government were quite strict with regards to height limits (I seem to remember hearing that they had to jump through a lot of hoops to get Journey to Atlantis built).

So, do you guys think this rumour has any weight to it?
P.S. Here's the Behind The Thrills article: https://behindthethrills.com/2019/01/is-seaworld-san-diego-getting-a-massive-coaster-for-2020/

bob_3_

Giga Poster
That article just seemed like wishful thinking. Haven't they only just opened electric eel? Which is a major investment!

Parks with difficult planning restrictions don't tend to just whack in coaster after coaster. This park tends to have a smaller investment pool over it's orlando counterpart, so suggesting they they're gonna go from an Premier launch thing to a B&M dive is a bit unrealistic. Also the planning application just seems to mention metal detectors...

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I like the colours, was hoping for a floorless (as in sit down, do they still even make new ones of these anymore though?) or a hyper when I glanced at the photo but that's decent. They're seriously splashing some cash on creds at the moment! Never been to the park but this seemed to be the one out of the three lacking in thrill coasters so should even it out nicely.

Last edited:

rideguy70

Mega Poster
^The article says it's floorless, so...

If this is true, it would seem to put the nail in the coffin of SFMM ever getting a dive machine. Not that I really wanted one there anyway, but many seemed to think it was coming.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Love that color scheme. Dive machine isn't a bad move either. They're not as exciting as they used to be (for enthusiasts at least) but GP still love them and there're none in the region.

Matt N

CF Legend
I've changed the thread title now that this has been officially announced.

As for my thoughts on the ride; it looks great! SheiKra is fantastic, so I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be, personally! Do we reckon this will be a mini dive layout a la Valkyria and Merlin's European dive coasters, or do we reckon it'll be longer a la the Busch dive coasters and Valravn? Due to the stats, I'm personally thinking it'll be a mini dive layout with 6 across trains, but SeaWorld could surprise us here!

As for the name and theme etc, it should be good. Mako (the Orlando version) and the surrounding Shark Wreck Reef area looks lovely, in my opinion, so it's West Coast equivalent should too. I find it interesting that they've gone with a different colour scheme to Orlando's Mako, but the colours on this still look great, in my opinion; they kind of remind me of Alpengeist! One thing SeaWorld always seems to nail with their coasters is visuals, and Mako (the San Diego version) looks like no exception from what I've seen of it so far! I'm not too surprised that they've reused the Mako name, as they reused the Manta name from Orlando in 2012, but I must admit that I find a dive coaster a slightly strange choice of ride for the name.

All in all, though, I'm sure West Coast Mako will be a great addition to SeaWorld San Diego!

rideguy70

Mega Poster
^^Well, there is Hangtime at Knott's. I'd consider that a dive coaster. So now there's technically 2 in SoCal. Which is yet another reason for SFMM to not get one.
I am a bit unclear where in the park this'll be located, though.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
^The article says it's floorless, so...

If this is true, it would seem to put the nail in the coffin of SFMM ever getting a dive machine. Not that I really wanted one there anyway, but many seemed to think it was coming.
it was pretty clear what I meant though, everyone still calls floorless sit down floorless but I've edited it to avoid confusion.

Imagine if it was silver coloured. It probably isn't, but imagine!

davidm

Strata Poster
Seriously don't think SeaWorld getting a dive machine makes SFMM getting one any less likely, if anything it makes it more likely - they just get a bigger one?
Pretty reasonable thing for the park though, beige coaster for a beige park.

Grobble

Roller Poster
Seriously don't think SeaWorld getting a dive machine makes SFMM getting one any less likely, if anything it makes it more likely - they just get a bigger one?
Pretty reasonable thing for the park though, beige coaster for a beige park.

SIX FLAGS CAN NOT AFFORD A 20M DIVE or any expensive coaster under their Capex formula. There is a reason they have bough cheap coasters since bankruptcy. ..that's all they can afford under the formula and giving every park something every year. That constraint is even going to get worse as they keep getting operaring leases on more parks & have been adamant on not increasing Capex %.

Matt N

CF Legend
Speaking of Six Flags; SeaWorld is reportedly installing 5 relatively major coasters in 2020; RMC Gwazi at Busch Gardens Tampa, a launch coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, a launch coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, a wooden coaster at SeaWorld San Antonio and now Mako at SeaWorld San Diego. This is really great, and I'm very glad that SeaWorld is in a financial position to afford these, but is it only me for whom a small part of me is reminded of 2000s Six Flags and the events that led to their bankruptcy?

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Based on the stats and the track, I assume it'll be a 6-across mini dive. It does say it will be the longest Dive Coaster in California, so if it includes Hangtime then it must be at least 2,198ft long, and Valkyria at Liseberg is somewhere between 2,296.6ft and 2,460.6ft long for reference. Also, I'm surprised nobody has moaned about this having the same name and logo as the one at SWO. And I wonder whether this will have OTSR's or vests.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
^^Well, there is Hangtime at Knott's. I'd consider that a dive coaster. Which is yet another reason for SFMM to not get one..
I didn't realize (more likely forgot) they market Hangtime as a dive coaster. I was only thinking of the B&Ms anyway, but even still, the dive machines are really all about the vertical drop as they're selling point, whereas Hangtime feels more about the overall package (it's really just a scaled up Euro fighter). I still think it's a good move for SWSD.

Grobble

Roller Poster
Speaking of Six Flags; SeaWorld is reportedly installing 4 relatively major coasters in 2020; a launch coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, a launch coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, a wooden coaster at SeaWorld San Antonio and now Mako at SeaWorld San Diego. This is really great, and I'm very glad that SeaWorld is in a financial position to afford these, but is it only me for whom a small part of me is reminded of 2000s Six Flags and the events that led to their bankruptcy?

SEAS Entertainment actually is not increasing their CAPEX from the past few years during their troubles., they are just spending it differently. Less animal stuff & more rides. The expense of animal stuff is underestimated by many.

Matt N

CF Legend
SEAS Entertainment actually is not increasing their CAPEX from the past few years during their troubles., they are just spending it differently. Less animal stuff & more rides. The expense of animal stuff is underestimated by many.
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification @Grobble!

MakoMania

Mega Poster
Stuff is still being spent on animals, just not quite as much every single year. For example, SeaWorld San Antonio is getting Turtle Reef this year, SeaWorld San Diego will be getting Shark and Penguin expansions in 2020 and 2021 and San Antonio/Orlando will be getting a Killer Whale stadium redesign by 2020.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Speaking of Six Flags; SeaWorld is reportedly installing 4 relatively major coasters in 2020; a launch coaster at SeaWorld Orlando, a launch coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, a wooden coaster at SeaWorld San Antonio and now Mako at SeaWorld San Diego. This is really great, and I'm very glad that SeaWorld is in a financial position to afford these, but is it only me for whom a small part of me is reminded of 2000s Six Flags and the events that led to their bankruptcy?

4? i think with RMC Gwazi it will be 5 right?