What's new

Scw55's Thread. Planet Coaster Calls (18-11-17)

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. New Computer (with spoiler) 15/02/15

I have a new computer.

It is sick.

I haven't had time to RCT3 yet since I've had IRL commitments and general having fun doing lots of stuff quickly and prettily.
I did take two screenshots though. One is of an old project and another is a spoiler of what I am working on.

2015-02-15_00002_zpsqdvxgnnm.jpg

2015-02-15_00001_zpspbks5sld.jpg

Everything graphical is enabled except for Bloom. Because sod Bloom in this game. It melts your eyes if you use sand ground textures.

I need to find a way to produce videos on this system. Then I need to decide how worthwhile it is to record some videos. Like there's two in the Cliff Park that suffered from my old laptop's processor. I might be able to revisit some old parks. I might even be able to have water flowing off the park boundaries.

I do need to spend my free time seeking a plumbing apprenticeship, so my leisure time is less. I have also rekindled my interest in RCT2. So I don't know how much I'll RCT3 for the time being. Depends when I get the itch.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Wow good work man, the bottom picture looks like my Sultan Coaster I made a few years back, and the one above looks like the re-do I did of the layout haha

scw55

Hyper Poster

Clearly you inspired me on a subconscious level.
Evidently I did amazing work :)

I'm excited at the thought of revisiting my Cliff Park because I had to stop due to too many trees. They seem to be some of my best terrain coasters.

A guy on Youtube commented saying that my B&M Inverter would never have those elements. Not sure what weight that criticism has since no park has chosen to have those elements yet. It's like QQing at someone for having a Swarm Drop pre-Swarm plans.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. Industry (19/2/15)

19/2/15

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6ELJ-pNvvg[/youtube]

Pistons thump and steam rises. These are the sense of industry. Hold on tightly.

There was a dream. A vision of a futuristic paradise by a Victorian person. During the early days of the Industrial Revolution, this person saw what they believed was the future; a bronze domain with a heart of fire.

On the far shore of Kaleidoscope Lake you can find the Steampunk Zone. Visit what one person thought a future utopia would look like. In the middle of this zone stands the testimony to industry. This monolith spans the whole zone.

20/2/15
In the desert, water is the most valuable substance. The ancients built Aigua to bring life to this land of death.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViWiJwW2fz0[/youtube]

This is one of those Dive Machines where the focus is on the drop (and emergence).

My next update will be of a coaster none of you knew I had built. It's certainly unique (and disappointing because you'll be expecting something insane).

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. Teaser (25/02/15)

*NOT THE COASTER PROMISED IN THE PREVIOUS POST*

The news report said it was a tsunami that destroyed the small fishing village.
Oh how the villagers wished that was the case...

2015-02-25_00001_zps0yifxjre.jpg

2015-02-25_00002_zpsihjaft1x.jpg

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. Dueling Wingrider PoV Video (26/02/15)

I recorded the PoV of that thing I made all those years ago:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R43B0UQKcdY[/youtube]

Even with this new computer, the FPS was still terrible. I murdered the Suspended Dive Machine and its CPU intense tiles to improve FPS. Even then, some bits are a tad jittery due to the nature of the CTR for the Wingrider.

I just wish I could build a good duelling Wingrider again. There's no space in my current park for a duelling wingrider. I've pushed the limits with Kraken.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. Promise kept (08/03/15)

The next video I was going to do was the full reveal of Kraken. But then I noticed that I made a promise. So here is the promise. Here is this weird coaster:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcPlj8q5xto[/youtube]

This is a coaster ball. But this is based off a real ride. This is based off the S&S 4D prototype. This coaster type will be built in a park in the next few years. This was planned for the "Launched Coaster" contest on these forums. I did all the scenery and everything in the time, but I didn't enter it. I thought it was too simplistic for a contest. So I entered the dead Alcove. Alcove got demolished afterwards, but this ride stayed. Maybe this was simple, but it was a stronger coaster.

Since it now sits adjacent to a heavily themed Impulse coaster, I think it looks rather spiffing.

I like how my park is coming along. It takes 1 minute to open up the saved file instead of 5 minutes. Meaning I am more eager to do bit work. Knowing that the park is full of coasters and my dislike for support work (the last coaster was annoying since it was mostly over deep water) means I am focusing on fleshing out the bits in-between nicely. My visit to PortAdventura has aided me in working out how to fill these voids nicely.

I need to tackle the main entrance soon, since the Pirate zone is scrubbing up nicely.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. The Other Dragon (14/03/15)

You may recognise this coaster from a few years ago. This is from my Welsh countryside themed park that featured a Wingrider that tried to be pretty instead of destructive, a woody coaster that was flooded by a waterfall and the second generation of two dueling insects.

I posted screenshots and I received positive feedback, and it grieved me that I wasn't really able to record a POV video of it. When I acquired Fraps, I got distracted by other projects. Now that I am doing a sort of semi-retrospective recordings, I decided to include this coaster.

Interesting bit of trivia; the off-ride shots are recorded with Low Friction, and the POV is recorded with normal friction. I noticed when I was recording the POV for the first time than it felt too fast. I tuned my coasters on my laptop based on how my laptop ran them. With this new computer, things are smoother and therefore look faster. I was unhappy how rough some bits looked, so I disabled low friction and was pleased it still worked.

This coaster is the coaster that I did the most revisions too. I have lost count how many times I changed the section after the mid-break section. It has seen weird layouts. I think this aggressive revision helped shape how I'd approach building projects in the future; build things more openly. If things need to be compact, ensure it looks good and not like a madman's scribble.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEk43HAxQ8[/youtube]

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. Teaser (25/02/15)

scw55 said:
The news report said it was a tsunami that destroyed the small fishing village.
Oh how the villagers wished that was the case...

2015-02-25_00001_zps0yifxjre.jpg

2015-02-25_00002_zpsihjaft1x.jpg

An undercover reporter snuck into the quarantined area. What he saw terrified his very soul. How could they lie about this? How could anyone cover the attack by a behemoth from the deep? There has been no chance of rebuilding yet. The beast still lurks nearby. Periodically its tentacles will lurch from the black waters and thrash. What now? What can be done? This primal force of nature cannot be contained. This beast has probably survived for many centuries. It has refined the art of survival. Maybe this is why the world is placed in darkness. The world can sleep better when the nightmares are out of sight; out of mind. What other horrors exist that dwell in the corner of our eyes?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOIPKZ3y72M[/youtube]

Kraken is a B&M Inverted Coaster that is primarily built over a lake. The layout starts of being nicely open. As the track contracts, so does the intensity of the destruction.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. KRAKEN (27/04/15)

Finding it difficult to justify carrying on all of this.

Might wait until RCTW is released and hope something good comes of that.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. Stuff (12/10/15)

Well I am back. This time, no video production. Playing RCT3 came a bit worky. So I play when I want and feel like. Try it sometime if you feel like it's becoming work.

I won't produce videos because it feels like a waste of time. The return I gain from doing them doesn't feel worth it. See my last project. Spent a lot of effort doing the whole thing, and it simply whimpered away. I am proud of what I have done, but it seems pointless to do a video if no one is going to watch it.

So you'll have to put up with screenshots.

I will do a POV if you ask me to. It'll be just a POV. No faff.

Here are two coasters I have worked on in my park (which you know by now). It's in the "Spooky" area.

Here's a Suspended Swinging:
MQnSRtR.jpg

ISynqdF.jpg

IahvmXv.jpg

OBGbr0Z.jpg

S&S Swinging. Not entirely happy, but it's hard to use this type. There's a narrow margin between intense and boring. Sadly this layout his the intense barrier and breaks it when it swings under the station. Oh well. It's the best I have ever done with this type... which isn't amazing. Perhaps if I had a stronger narrative in mind it might work.

dIpew6r.jpg

hniJndI.jpg

gEz8TU6.jpg

4wwBEuh.jpg

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. Updates (18/12/15)

What I have been doing over the last few months (slowly) is "spucing" up my park. Filling in the gaps between the rides. Helping the themed zones merge better.

o71ZGBH.jpg

Park entrance area & Tradition Theme. You can see the borderline with the arid zone. Need to find a way to blend the zones nicely. Perhaps have a Mediterranean transition?

SwZ8SWW.jpg

More Traditional-Fantasy-Garden zone (gentle rides)

oYXJaCZ.jpg

Haunted woods and Traditional-Fantasy-Garden border. This is what I want to achieve. There is meant to be a brutal indication of death and life on either side of the wall

kwE62Ly.jpg

Tropically-Pirate area

6v01xIQ.jpg

TdIHV9W.jpg

Hope you enjoyed.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

This is looking really nice so far! That last coaster looks really nice with the scenery. The Mine Train(?) in the first picture looks nice as well. Keep it up!

scw55

Hyper Poster

First is Wildmouse and the last is Spiral Coaster.
Thanks for the kind words :D

scw55

Hyper Poster

More stuff.
Had a session today. But it was cut short by my game crashing.
Here's screenshots of what I had been making.

92cqxEL.jpg

kHi4rPn.jpg

Transitioning Generic Land -> Pirate Tropical Land better.
This is attempts at Spanish architecture. A Catalan House and a Valencian Bullfighting arena.

I'm disappointed with the crash as I was making something, a little special.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Scw55's Thread. It's all Greek to me. (24/12/15)

Here's another update. I booted up the game some days after the crash, and resumed what I was working on. The one blessing of losing progress is that you get to refine it and it's often better as a result.

I've tweaked the entrance of my park. Discovered the authentic red-brick building kit.
uVvIDn7.jpg

I wanted to open up the far north of the park. I couldn't tweak the existing monorail system (sadly). So I build a chair lift to service this area. The chair lift can extend southwards if I feel like it needs to. I build 3 stations.

P6P6Hnq.jpg

This station sits on the boundary between the Spooky themed area and the Steampunk themed area. So I combined the two architecture styles semi-successfully. It is meant to feel like a derelict industrial building.
1Vy0QfC.jpg

This is the station I was working on when the game crashed. I lost the walls and roof. The Station part was complete and I retained the base walls. Just the fiddly location of windows and roofs were lost. I'm rather proud of how it came out. I think it's the most beautiful station anyone built for a transport ride in the history of Rollercoaster Tycoon because I think no one else could be bothered. It's a roman villa.
xzv2ih5.jpg

And this is what greets you when you step off the chair lift in this Greek-Roman area. You can guess the ride's name.
KpuhXkk.jpg

I would let you guess the coaster type, but you can see it. Oh well. The layout can be a surprise. I was heavily inspired by: Tb.
I'm very happy with that station too.

Mediterranean architecture is awesome.

I got bored with doing the supports for Pegasus (it's Christmas Eve, no time for monotony). So I supported the station and... bits... and placed the catwalks. Then had fun building the station. Saving often to avoid crashes. I mixed Atlantean with Generic building kits. I miss the dedicated mythological theming RCT 1 and 2 had.

(How do I do my good looking buildings? I Google image examples and try to copy them with the tools available in game!)

scw55

Hyper Poster
A quick and small update:

9OmWoaG.jpg

I decided to do a little more work on this project today. Within 15 minutes my game crashed. I only lost 1 minute's worth of work, but still. It means I can't realistically play uninterrupted anymore. I also don't want to start a new project with the next gen games coming out soon. Who knows if I'll do a little more?

I see the gaps in the layout of the wingrider, and I wonder how I can fill them with the current scenery.

So enjoy potentially the last RCT3 screenshot I ever post online.

scw55

Hyper Poster
It's been an exciting time over these last few years. The cliche up and downs. You can see my growth. Now it's time to jump ship.
Planet Coaster is the long awaited rebirth of this "things" we love. I will now grow from humble beginnings in this new game and reach where I was in RCT3, and hopefully, exceed and continue to grow.
I'll miss the limitations of RCT3 forcing us to be inventive with our creativity, but I will not miss having to manually place custom support fragments.
See you on the other side! I look forward to the return of some of you, and maybe new blood. It is time for all of us to move on.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thanks for your continued updates over the last few years scw55!

I look forward to seeing your (and others') projects in Planet Coaster in the coming months.