Change background image
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanchez's RCT2 Thread

Discussion in 'RCT 2 Projects' started by Sanchezmran, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Sanchezmran

Sanchezmran Well-Known Member

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    I've been playing this game on and off for several years, but I recently downloaded OpenRCT2 on my Macbook, which makes RCT much more accessible for me to play than the :emoji_poop: laptop I used to play it on. I went and started a new park on the Extreme Heights scenario and wanted to share some of my projects (and give this section of the forums some much needed love after being forgotten for a couple years).

I plan to keep the name of the park (as I always do when using a pre-made scenario). In terms of coaster design, I'm not trying to be realistic for this park. Just focusing on building big ass coasters, interactions with other rides, high excitement ratings, and of course plenty of scenery and themed areas. Here's an overview of the park so far:

[​IMG]

I wanted the park entrance to have some sort of castle, so this is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

Beyond the castle entrance, I'm planning on anindustrial theme (maybe even steampunk?) with Flaming Fury (the pre-built coaster of course) dominating the area.

[​IMG]

I haven't been too consistent with the industrial theme though. This food court building was built before I knew exactly what theme I wanted. I'm not quite satisfied with its look anyway so I might modify it.

[​IMG]

I'm quite happy with the way the wild west themed area turned out to be. It's not quite done, just some cleaning up to do and a bit more scenery in some places. It features Rattlesnake, an Intamin LSM multi-launched coaster, and Gunslinger, a mine train.

[​IMG]

OpenRCT2 has a few modifications from the original game, including the option to build "booster" tracks, making it much easier and more fun to build launched coasters! Rattlesnake is actually one of the more "realistic" coasters in the park so far... well, at least in the sense that I could see it being a coaster in real life. It draws some inspiration from Taron, Maverick, and Cheetah Hunt. And I was able to sync up the launches well so that two trains launch (almost) side-by-side before they go their separate ways.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the station to Gunslinger, one of my best mine trains, excitement rating wise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a couple of other coasters operating as well. An Arrow hyper coaster named Hyperdrive, which I plan to give a space theme. And a Schwarzkopf looper, which is in need of a name and a theme/themed area, if anyone has any suggestions.

And here's a little WIP:

[​IMG]

Any feedback much appreciated!

2. Hixee

Hixee Most Knowledgeable Member 2016 Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    I like the park entrance! Gatekeeper on steroids! :p

Rest looks pretty nice, particularly the wild west area.

Sanchezmran likes this.
  3. HeartlineCoaster

HeartlineCoaster Active Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Good to see some love for OpenRCT2.
    Rattlesnake is definitely the standout there, looks great. Are you using the actual booster function for those launches? I find them better used for tamer rides,
    you get a punchier launch if you make it a fast chain lift.
    I'd also stick some Mack Mega trains on it, to make it more Taron-y: http://x123m3-256.github.io/RCT2/CustomRides/index.html

Sanchezmran likes this.
  4. Sanchezmran

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Heh, I guess so! I've had fun in the past building coasters over entrances and showing all their glory!

Yeah, I've just used the booster tracks on Rattlesnake. I actually haven't played/figured out the "hydraulic" chain launch yet, but honestly I kind of like the rolling launches as it is right now. I'll definitely look into using the chain launch in the future though.

I've had my eyes on those custom coaster trains for a few days now, so thanks for sharing the link. I like that idea of using the Mack trains on Rattlesnake. I just downloaded them and had a quick look through, but their doesn't seem to be a way to change Rattlesnake's trains to any of the custom trains? Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems the only trains/cars I can change it to are the ones available in the scenario.

Thanks for a comments. Anyway, I have a little update of my dueling coaster. They're B&M standups. The park also includes floorless and sit-down trains, which I'll want to build at some point in the future. But I figured, since stand ups suck ass IRL, I'd have some dueling ones to make the rides a little more interesting. I already know what the theme and names will be, but I'll get back to you on that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Their intensity is in like the 9.90s because the layouts where going too long, so they end a bit sooner than I'd like (I also had to cut out each of their jojo rolls before the lift hill, because I actually had to lower to intensity underneath 10.00 at one point).

[​IMG]

5. Hixee

Hixee Most Knowledgeable Member 2016 Staff Member Moderator CF Award Winner 2016

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    Wow, good work on the interaction! They look very knotted up.

Sanchezmran likes this.
  6. HeartlineCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Go to the cogs top left and object selection. You can add more ride types in there, so that it will appear in the drop down list of trains once you've selected the change vehicle type cheat.

For chain launches, use the cheat 'unlock operating limits' and you can set it to whatever top speed you're aiming for.
    As with the boosters, the acceleration never changes so it depends how long the section is as to whether it will reach that speed, but the acceleration is quicker than the booster.

I'd love to try a standup with a first drop like that.

Sanchezmran likes this.
  7. Sanchezmran

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    ^Thanks, got the trains working now. Switched it to the Mack trains and it does look a bit better. Also added some of the other models to the selection (Intamin & B&M Wing coasters, Maurer spinning coaster, etc), so I'll be eager to play around with those later.

Got quite a bit done since the last update. I went to work at the space themed area. I originally thought about calling the area something boring like "Distant Planet," but that gave me the idea to give it the more appropriate name "Planet Coaster." ;) The space and martian scenery is a bit limited, so I kind of stuck with a theme of designing some bright and colorful buildings. It's kind of dense but I think it looks fine.

[​IMG]

I also finally added a couple of flat rides here too. I started off with some space rings called Rings of Saturn (behind the small turquoise building), but I should've known that the peeps wouldn't give a :emoji_poop: about it, as they only prefer high intensity rides in this scenario. I tried the same thing with the twin motion simulators, thinking they'd like it because it's defined as a thrill ride, but I only got a total of 1 rider. So they're really there just for show.

[​IMG]

Station to Hyperdrive:

[​IMG]

And then I built this air launched coaster, Supernova, with a 100 mph launch.

[​IMG]

Moving on from Planet Coaster is the WIP "spooky" area. I've decided to name the coasters after mythological monsters. The dueling stand ups are now Charybdis (green) and Scylla (red). And of course, before putting in some scenery, I built another coaster to interact with the stand ups, this time a Vekoma flying coaster called Harpy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harpy was also becoming a bit too intense when building it (which seems to happens more often than not for me), which is why it kind of ends after that final loop. Otherwise I would've done more helices and interactions with the stand ups. You can see that I also snuck in a drop tower as well.

[​IMG]

Then I finally started putting scenery in the area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So naturally I got tired of putting in scenery at that point and was eager to build more coasters (which, unsurprisingly, is much more exciting for me). Here's a little teaser:

[​IMG]

And one last thing: I somehow managed to complete the challenge to attract 4,500 peeps with only using a third of the space in the park. That's definitely the most I've ever attracted. We'll see how much more I can bring in.

[​IMG]

8. HeartlineCoaster

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    You can make them ignore intensities in the cheats menu if it bothers you.

9. Sanchezmran

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    I figured as much, but I'd rather not. I like the challenge of building a complex coaster that all the peeps will enjoy, plus I'm going for high excitement ratings (in the 9.00s, 10.00s, etc), and intensity levels over 10 actual lowers the excitement rating as well.

Other than adding in new rides to the selection, and occasionally speeding up the game, I wanna try to avoid some of the cheats, like fixing breakdowns, guest happiness, etc.

10. Sanchezmran

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    So I've gotten even more :emoji_poop: done this past week (hey, school hasn't started for me yet! :p). I'll start off with another overview:

[​IMG]

So here's that dive machine I built, which is in a new themed area. I used the 10-seater B&M trains I downloaded, but instead of putting them on the vertical drop model from the game, I used the standard twister track so I could use the large steep slopes (and inversions).

[​IMG]

You'll notice I also built a suspended single rail coaster, where its main purpose was interacting around the DM (haven't opened that one yet). I also snuck in part of an Arrow looper later.

[​IMG]

Some of the scenery I put in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember that Schwarzkopf I made? Finally built a station for it.

[​IMG]

I also went back to work on the spooky area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the station to Charybdis and Scylla.

[​IMG]

Beyond the spooky area is the jungle themed area. This features a good ol' B&M Invert, a boat ride, one of those ultra twister things. The ultra twisters suckā€¦ can't do much with them. They can become too intense very easily and the excitement never seems to reach a 5.0. I'm not sold on either of these coasters' names though. The invert is Pterodactyl, which is fine, but I tentatively named the ultra twister "Twisted Log," because after coloring it :emoji_poop: brown, the ride kind of looks like a giant log. I know, it's bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the invert to interact with Charybdis/Scylla, which benefited their excitement ratings.

[​IMG]

On the other side of the park I quickly made an Arrow custom looper, which I mentioned earlier. It's near the wild west area, but the station is set in a desert themed area I have planned.

[​IMG]

This coaster is okay I think. I like what I did with the first half (above), but it's not as long as I'd like it.

[​IMG]

Alright, now for these guys. I built some dueling giga coasters with some custom Skyrush trains. It's my best ever coaster in terms of excitement rating, so I'm rather pleased with how it turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all of it. I should probably go back and focus on scenery and other little details. I seem to have lost 2,000 guests for some reason (must've ignored some vandalism complaints while building one of the coasters), and most of the older coasters lost their popularity. Hopefully I can get back to the way things were.

Hixee likes this.
  11. Hixee

Best Coaster:
    Lightning Rod
    Best Park:
    Silver Dollar City
    Coaster Count:
    I have to commend your ability to wrap track from coasters around itself and that from other coasters! I feel like it must take a long time to get all of that coordinated!

Sanchezmran likes this.
  12. Sanchezmran

Best Coaster:
    Skyrush
    Best Park:
    Cedar Point
    Coaster Count:
    Thanks! It's definitely a fun challenge. Most of the coaster design isn't really planned out that much in advance. I just try things along as I go and see if they'd fit. I think the rides that took the longest to build were the two dueling coasters, as the proper synchronizing can be a pain. But I the dive machine took quite a while too.

Hixee likes this.