What's new

Saddest Top Ten Removals

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
As much as we like getting new credits that we really like and putting them in our top tens, it always comes with a price. When you add one, one goes away. It's not a top eleven, it's a top ten. That one coaster that you get to show off at the top of your rankings on your forum signatures and on Facebook's numerous "Post your top ten!" posts in the groups is no longer one you get to recognize as being one of the ten coasters that describe what you like in a coaster. I've seen people say it felt bittersweet to add a coaster that kicked another one out but I don't think we've ever had a proper topic for it, so here goes!

I can come up with two:

Banshee- This coaster has a ton of sentimental value to me as it was what replaced that death trap from my childhood known as Son of Beast. I had logged over 100 laps on it, it was always my first stop at my home park, and up until very recently was my favorite ride at my home park. Among enthusiasts that knew me, it was commonly known that I loved the thing, with my girlfriend even going so far as to assign me that god awful Banshee Boy nickname and making it actually stick. Banshee was in my top ten for about two years before Storm Chaser came in and kicked it out.

Millennium Force- Another Ohio coaster that held a bit of sentimental value to me, being my number one for about two years. I first rode it with my best friend on my first trip ever as an enthusiast and rode it again with my cousin two years later, getting my first night ride on it during a full moon that was still one of my best coaster experiences ever to this very day. It had been in my top ten for five years, the longest any coaster has ever been in it, until it was knocked out by Boulder Dash, which ranked only two spots above it. It was my favorite coaster in my home state, my longest running number one, and it got kicked out by a coaster I felt barely deserved to be the one to kick it out. But sadly, that front seat ride was too good for me not to acknowledge, and I gave old Millie the boot. It continued to be my favorite coaster in Ohio for a few more months before I rode Mystic Timbers. It's still in my top twenty, it's still my favorite ride at CP, and I'll always be a Milliever, but sadly it's just not up there anymore. I continue to show off how much I love this coaster by taking people who typically don't think much of Millennium Forceless and getting them in the back where they'll actually like it. I've taken a few people for rides that changed their opinion on this coaster.

I've fortunately not had to do it yet, but the next one to be incredibly depressing for me will likely be Cheetah Hunt. I literally obsessed over the construction of this thing in 2011, it became my #1 in 2013, and I'm still known among my friends for having a weird thing for this coaster.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I simply don't have enough creds yet for that to happen, but whenever Goliath (Walibi Holland) will be dropped from my Top 10, I will be very sad indeed.

- My first Intamin
- My first airtime machine too
- The coaster I've ridden the most (over 200 times)
- RCT2 <3

I can see that happening in 2018 with so many trips in mind (Wildfire, Flash clone, Energylandia Mega...) too!

Edward M

Strata Poster
Goliath @ SFOG was a real sad one for me. I've had a history with it, but it's mainly because it's just such an amazing ride. Really feels top 10 worthy! Still, time goes on, and things change.

Kicking out Maverick and Top Thrill Dragster was weird since they had been in my top 10 from 2012 (my first real coaster trip) to 2015 or so. My list just felt missing without them.

It's looking like Beast will be out of there fairly soon which is very sad for me. I hope I don't have to kick out Kumba or Millennium Force. I just don't think I could kick out either one!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I tend to not get sad or anything when I drop a coaster out, as I've found a better coaster and I likely had an amazing time riding it. You never know, a re-ride might push it back up there.
The only one I showed any real remorse for was Nemesis as it cemented the fact that the UK has **** coasters comparatively, and it was my number 1 for ages.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Likewise.
I might still have it at number 2, but evicting it from the top spot after 22 years was a really big deal for me. When I finally had to admit to myself that it was no longer the greatest rollercoaster in the world? Yeah man. That sucked.

Next one due to drop out of the top 10 is Tatsu - that one might sting a little as I feel it should be a top 10 coaster in anybody's book, but realistically the only viable challenger over the coming season for me will be Taron... and I'm still not convinced it'll blow me away as much as y'all say it will, but we'll see.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Next one due to drop out of the top 10 is Tatsu - that one might sting a little as I feel it should be a top 10 coaster in anybody's book, but realistically the only viable challenger over the coming season for me will be Taron... and I'm still not convinced it'll blow me away as much as y'all say it will, but we'll see.
When are you going? Are the hotels still doing ERT?

Edit - Sorry for the below
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Going in October - GhosterForce add-on.
And I dunno, haven't got that far yet, but I hope so.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ don't think it (the hotel ERT) is happening at the moment - it was early/spring season but has vanished from the website since the start of this month I think (which is annoying if you were thinking of going this month (like I am)) - nothing to say it will not come back in the post-summer season of course.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Going in October - GhosterForce add-on.
And I dunno, haven't got that far yet, but I hope so.
Ah good, so there will be other CF'ers there. It definitely made the night more memorable doing it as a group. I think that's why @ThomVD incorrectly rates it below Helix.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Ah good, so there will be other CF'ers there. It definitely made the night more memorable doing it as a group. I think that's why @ThomVD incorrectly rates it below Helix.
I don't think there's much you can do to convince Thom Helix isn't the best coaster on the planet. :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't think there's much you can do to convince Thom Helix isn't the best coaster on the planet. :p
True, his own fault for not joining us at PL for Ghosterforce though, bet he still has nightmares about that epic fail.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
You guys should've done a better job of convincing me to join. I blame you :p

I've done Helix alone, with one other friend, with a group of hot Swedish girls, and it's still my #1. It doesn't need a group of CFers to be the best ;)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
You guys should've done a better job of convincing me to join. I blame you :p
Chinese Proverb say...
He who blames others has a long way to go on his journey.
He who blames himself is halfway there. He who blames no one has arrived.
I've done Helix alone, with one other friend, with a group of hot Swedish girls, and it's still my #1. It doesn't need a group of CFers to be the best ;)
Mate, if I rode Kingda Ka with a bunch of hot Swedish girls I'd declare that top of the pile. Amirite @Howie ?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
To be fair though, most Swedish chicks are too tall for the OTSR's, so, y'know. Not a realistic question.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Oh crap, the real reason why it's my #1 has been exposed :oops:

In all seriousness, it's sometimes understated how much of an influence the company/group has, both positively and negatively. I've done both Gröna Lund and Helix alone and with amazing company at some point and had an absolute blast in both cases, which only solidifies their spot for me. I do believe I would've loved Taron even more if I was there that fateful evening ;)

ThomVD

Giga Poster
To be clear, I meant I would've loved it more than I do now. I highly doubt I would've loved it more than Helix because I simply find Helix a better coaster, even if I'd ride Taron with the hottest supermodel on the planet ;)

Anyway, I don't think I'm too sad about a removal yet. But when Joris drops out that will be a clear choice for me.

GoIntamin

Roller Poster
I recently had to take out El Toro and Diamondback out of my top 10 in favor of I305 and Apollo's Charriot. Not too sad about El Toro because I've always found it to be a bit overrated, but Diamondback was my first B&M hyper, so having to kick that out in favor of Apollo's Charriot, which I thought had no chance of being better, was kinda bittersweet.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Have I ever been sad to bump a roller coaster out of my Top 10? Not really, as I enjoy the new roller coasters coming in all the more.

Of note that used to be in my Top 10, and now no longer:
  • Magnum XL-200
  • Phantom's Revenge
  • Thunderhead