What's new

Roller Coaster Tycoon 4 discussion

ThomVD

Giga Poster
You'd expect them to at least improve on an 11 year old game... I will buy it and give it a shot, but my expectations can't get any lower.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I really dont even want to buy it now. A LOT of people are wishing they had gone back to RCT2 type graphics and just improved upon the gameplay and whatnot.

I am interested in how the coaster building system will work out, but if its anything like how the video portrays it to be, I really have no hope for its life span.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
To be honest, I'd love to see a RCT game with next gen graphics. Or at least a lot better than what we've had so far. I love RCT2 as much as the next guy, and I also really love RCT3, but I just want to be able to build a proper realistic park :p . But I guess we'll never see that day. I knew RCTW wouldn't get next gen graphics, but I expected it to at least be better than what we've had now.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Also, here is the requirements, both minimum to run and recommended:

Minimum:
Processor: 2.3 Ghz Core i5
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Additional Notes: Network connection is required for Steam authentication and multi-player
Recommended:
Processor: 2.00 Ghz Core i7 (or above)
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Dedicated video card with 1 GB of RAM (or above)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space
Additional Notes: Network connection is required for Steam authentication and multi-player

Those requirements are pretty beastly all things considered. Thats a mid-range gaming rig! I dont even know if mine will run it, and mine is pretty up to date!

Dar

Hyper Poster
It looks like they've just taken the RCT3 engine and added even more overhead to it! Plus the game itself looks **** :(

peep

CF Legend
I was becoming intrigued when they posted screenshots and their active approach to discussing it with the fan base. However like you guys that video has really put me off and I don't think they can win me back. I love rct3, I preferred the camera flexibility compared to the first two and a lot of the design I preferred. It was no where near perfect but I'm kinda shocked that they managed to make this one look really bad and then expect a high spec pc to run it? Wtf have they actually done?

There was one thing that amused me a few blog posts back about how they hear the fans want to build customisable dark rides and restaurants and then they reveal something which looks like it's not customisable at all. The fact there's only four themes also sucks.

nealbie

CF Legend
Quite impressed that the recommended build is quite low on specs (i7 aside). Even my laptop will run it properly, which is nice to know.

Yes the graphics are disappointing somewhat, but remember, this game constantly has so much going on, if they gave it top notch graphics too only people will super computers would be able to play and that would kill their sales. So we all know why it looks how it does.

The fully customisable coasters will be a headache, from that trailer you'll have to get the heights of elements spot on or else it's not going to ride properly.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
It looks vile tbh, and still no major additions from what I can see. Was rather hoping they'd do away with the grid system in this release. Curved paths??

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
FaceYourNemesis said:
Was rather hoping they'd do away with the grid system in this release. Curved paths??

I disagree - slightly...

For a "casual game" (which the RCT series is at heart, which is why it's so wonderful when people run with it an produce amazing things), it's vital to have a very simple system.

I've played games with modelling into 3D space, and it's a nightmare (Frontier's Screamrider being the very latest). It's really fiddly and awkward.

What they need really is to allow you to do things in blocks and then get it to auto-fill the bits in between to smooth it out.

For example, you may have a 200 foot high coaster topping out, but want it to dive in "three squares" to the pull out. That would give it a silly angle of 79 degrees or something that is impossible with set pieces and a grid system. Doing it with a tool like No Limits you code it in by hand to get it right. With a casual 3D manipulation tool, you fight with the design tool and end up after 2 hours with a kinked track that glitches and is never quite what you wanted.

You can do the same with paths too, hills, fences, everything really. You design the basic outlines in a grid format and then get the game to fill in the curves between - this point to the other point (if there are no curves, it's straight and angled as needed). You could even use a similar system for designing domes.

Instead, they've gone for a half-arsed RCT3 upgrade that will see them up there with Maxis in two year's time ;)

Intricks

Strata Poster
Thats somewhat reassuring that the trailer wasnt the final product, but still, even for alpha it looks terrible.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Intricks said:
Thats somewhat reassuring that the trailer wasnt the final product, but still, even for alpha it looks terrible.

If it looks like this during Beta is when you need to panic.

Rankle07

Roller Poster
I would much rather have a legit RCT2 release on to mobile O/S for use on tablets. None of this cartoon looking tat that was introduced in RCT3.

Not sure if RCT2 control would work well on smart phones though :lol:

Snoo

The Legend
To be fair.. those 2 games were the most superior of the entire series. Cartoony seemed to work and work well.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I'm getting kind of worried. THe year's almost half over, and we still have no news on any release date, beta tests, or anything.

And if they're sticking to the release being in Spring 2015, they have 1 week to do so.

peep

CF Legend
If you've been keeping up to date with the publisher blog then you'd have seen that they pretty much started from sketch again meaning that the original date means nothing. They're clearly not going to release a new time frame until they have a better idea of when it'll be ready. I'm happy with this, at least it means they're not rushing something together.