What's new

Rides/Parks you rode/visited at the perfect time?

Snoo

The Legend
Can you name a time where you visited a park or rode a ride where you visited at the perfect moment?

I can think of 3 specific times off the top of my head where I've been very lucky:

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom: visited a few weeks for the first and last time before the park closed in the late 2000's. The park has obviously reopened and I have visited but had it not reopened, would have been

Geauga Lake: We had the USA CF Live a mere 2 months before complete permanent closure. It would happen to be the very last time I visited the park.

Lightning Rod: This is much more recent as it was a mere week ago we were at Dollywood but the ride opened 2 days before our visit and closed a few days later due to a recall with an undetermined ETA.

Thoughts?

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I went to Disney World with my family a few years back, and found out after we got home that the old Test Track closed a week after our visit for the Tron Refurb.

I don't really think I got that lucky any other time.

TilenB

Strata Poster
The one that springs to mind is DiVertical. Visited the park a mere week after opening and the ride has been closed more than it has been open so far... Well, it did break down twice while we were already sitting in the train, so we were close to missing it on our 2 day visit as well.

Haven't been to a park that would close after my visit, so nothing in that department. Although I was in Florida 2 months before Dania Beach Hurricane closed for good. If only I had known about its existence when I went there...

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune at DLP before it changed to Mission 2. Sounds stupid given that it's still the same coaster but I genuinely really miss it.

Also several coasters before they got rough. Stampida springs to mind.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I can really only think of Lightning Rod as that "perfect time". That's all I really need though.

Olaf

Mega Poster
Well Phantasialand last year, the longest line I had was 10 mins for Black Mamba..

And a coaster I rode at the perfect moment is Baron 1898.. It stopped at the holding brake for at least 10 mins.. something was wrong with the brakerun, and they didnt evacuate us

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Just recently with Cedar Point. Just a few days after, the power lines come down to high winds and the whole park is closed for 1 day. Lucky?

djmcbell

Roller Poster
Cedar Point a few years back (before Gatekeeper, and whilst Disaster Transport was around - 2011 I think it was). My wife and I went for two days, but on the first day we managed everything we wanted, a few times. Only really came across queues that were longer than 15 minutes at Millennium Force and Maverick, everything else was pretty quick - even Top Thrill Dragster.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Space Mountain Mission 2 on Sunday. Grabbed a ride before its 1 month closure this summer for cannon effect maintenance. Personally I don't think both mountains should ever be closed at the same time but I see why they're doing it, they want to get it over and done with.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
The best I have is when a couple years back, the calendar meant there was only one day between Tower's Scarefest and the fireworks. This caused the park to be dead with everything walk on and Scarefest mazes were half price!

El Toro is the only one that pops in to my head. The first time I went back in 2007 they were doing something fairly major to one of the airtime hills which caused a closure that lasted quite a while from what I recall. It opened a few days before I went.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Two immediate rides that jump to mind are Mean Streak and Magnum without trim brakes. So much better.

I also was on the first public rollback of Maverick (Snoo was on the first rollback with riders)... so there's that. :roll:

Hutch

Strata Poster
^Where did the rollbacks on Maverick take place? Somewhere in the middle of the ride, around the inversions?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I had a rollback on the lift launch, Snoo had a rollback on the launch.

Sneaky

Roller Poster
Baron 1898 last summer for me.
It had just opened one or two weeks before my visit.
It was quite crowded at the park so I only got 2 rides that day. Later in the evening, not long after my second ride, it broke down and it wouldn't reopen for another few days.

steel

Mega Poster
I was at Kentucky Kingdom the day of the S:TOP accident and I rode S:TOP not four hours before it happened.

I was also at Geauga Lake the day Raging Wolf Bobs derailed (and subsequently never reopened).

On the happier side, I was accidentally at Valleyfair the day Steel Venom opened to the public in 2003, and I was accidentally at Nick Universe for their grand reopening event with all the Nickelodeon stars. Miranda Cosgrove VIP line jumped me on Avatar.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I got Beech Bend's kiddie cred only a few months before it derailed and was ultimately removed. Not that exciting but now I have to go back since they have a new cred that replaced it. :(