What's new

Rides and Roller Coasters of the Future

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
In the future, rides will likely be way different than they are to day, manufacturers who we know today might no longer exist, and new manufacturers will have been founded, creating new rid concepts that are completely unimaginable, maybe even something such as a wooden inverted launched winged flying spinning dive coaster (that will never happen (obviously)). What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I've always imagined Maglev Coasters (if they don't exist already). Maybe some safety mechanic on the ride the applies brakes that are on the train to stop it from hitting a stalled train if the ride's main safety features failed, then launched the stalled train up to speed to get it through the rest of the track, holding the other one at the stalled area before launching that one as well, and hold all other trains at the station until both trains reach the final brake run. It's a little on the complex side but it could work.

Sythe

Mega Poster
Looping B&Ms with clamshell lap-bars would be nice.
People have been predicting this sice around the year 2000 (probably even longer) so we probably still have a ways to go before that happens :(

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Also maybe a roller coaster with glass track you when you demolish it you just take a hammer or wrecking ball to it and it just comes down!

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Also maybe a roller coaster with glass track you when you demolish it you just take a hammer or wrecking ball to it and it just comes down!
It'd also come down pretty easy on the first drop. If you expect a single hammer to bring that down, it's more of a really big glass model than it is an actual coaster. ;)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I wonder if the B&M 4D coaster will ever materialise? At one point - around the time they started doing wing coasters I think - this rumour was all the rage.
It would be awfully nice if they did do one, one day.
Somewhere local would be good.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I think plastic composite coasters will become a thing eventually too. But I guess it'd take a decade or so after it has become a common material for use in other structures. And then some middle eastern mall with lots of money and high ambitions, but strict structural load restrictions, will shell out for a lightweight composite coaster structure for a family coaster. A few more of those to prove the concept, then finally they will start appearing at seaside parks where salt spray is a concern. Steel and wood will keep the largest shares of the market, though, because those materials are fairly cheap and durable.

Other than that, I suppose we'll see more implementation of audiovisual effects on coasters as well. Projection mapped images in tunnels that matches the speed of the train, for instance, or a ride soundtrack that strategically speeds up and draws out to always synch up exactly with the ride's pace. VR will be better, eventually, but I guess some indoor coasters will try to create a VR experience without the use of headsets too. We're sort of there with dark rides already, but those are hella expensive (the Harry Potter rides, for instance).

Oh, and the notion of coaster elements as we know them from RCT and older coasters will be gone before long. Arrow famously only made loops of one size back in the days, because that was the one design they had done the complex calculations for. By re-using those elements to exact specifications, they could re-use the costly calculations too. But now that computing power has increased so much, the designers don't have to stick to "tried and true" track shapes. Track can be designed and manufactured by powerful and precise computer algorithms, resulting in a smooth ride experience with just the right forces throughout, where one element glides seamlessly into the next. Vekoma's newer designs seem to utilize this philosophy, where it's hard to tell what's an element and what is a particularly twisted section of track.

Perhaps even entire park experiences will be computerized. Imagine a system where everybody gets a Q-bot, and an assigned ride time for their preferred rides, drastically reducing time spent in queues? Some parks are almost there already, so let's go one step up: Responsive park maps on your smartphone which tells you about which rides have the shortest queues, or which food outlets have the shortest waiting times right now. Digital park maps (or "Park guides", I guess) might also be used to give certain guests discount coupons for snacks and such, or Q-passes for low-traffic attractions, in an attempt to spread crowds out across the park, for instance if they find too many people are crowding in one section (if the attraction has low traffic, you wouldn't strictly need a queue pass, but the "If you hurry, you can skip the queue!" message is an incentive to try the ride out, at least). Heck, if enough guests registered for the system and preference data was stored for multiple visits, the parks could anticipate in advance where and when queues will form, before the park gates even open for the day, solely based on who shows up.

I guess things will also happen on the maintenance side, but that won't affect guests as much. For instance, after the accident with the Smiler, it would almost surprise me if Gerstlauer isn't looking into a system where an onboard computer on each train signals the position of the train in real-time, and locks down everything if the wheels are suddenly moving backwards. With some creative hooking up to the queue time estimating system, coasters could also tell on their own when it's time to put on another train. And of course, on-board train computers would be able to tell when it's time to lubricate the bearings or change the wheels, and accurately report the number and positions of guests on board in case of an emergency.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
About the RCT stuff, I remember building Tower coasters (No, not those steep drop ones) and them being really cool cause the tower would turn. I think Vekoma or Gerstlauer might build one of those in the future, if it will be a thing.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
About the RCT stuff, I remember building Tower coasters (No, not those steep drop ones) and them being really cool cause the tower would turn. I think Vekoma or Gerstlauer might build one of those in the future, if it will be a thing.
That sounds like the Vekoma Pandora's Box.