What's new

RCT franchise to be auctioned off

BBH

Giga Poster
I would love to have Frontier or someone else team up with Sawyer to buy the franchise, the golden ages were when it was Sawyer doing his wizardry. I would assist in buying the franchise, however I do not have $3.5 million laying around.

nealbie

CF Legend
If it wasn't for Skyrim, Test Drive would be the best game of this current generation of consoles! <3

Had no idea Atari had gone bankrupt though! Would explain why my pre ordered copy of RCT3D never came and I wasn't contacted about it! :lol:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Atari still exist, just not the US arm that actually developed/distributed new games.

In reality, AtariInc. were buried in 1984 along with however many million ET cartridges in the Nevada desert :lol:

I'd like to say I'm surprised Chris Sawyer didn't want to buy back the RCT name, but I don't think he'd ever want to give Atari any money, ever again. Or was it Frontier he fell out with? It's far too complicated :lol:

BBH

Giga Poster
furie said:
Atari still exist, just not the US arm that actually developed/distributed new games.

In reality, AtariInc. were buried in 1984 along with however many million ET cartridges in the Nevada desert :lol:

I'd like to say I'm surprised Chris Sawyer didn't want to buy back the RCT name, but I don't think he'd ever want to give Atari any money, ever again. Or was it Frontier he fell out with? It's far too complicated :lol:
He had a falling out with Atari after they were trying to change the gameplay aspect too much from what Sawyer wanted. Which is a shame, because it lost all of the quirks of the original game, including the amazing built-in calliope music.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, it was all down to money:
http://www.develop-online.net/news/2919 ... Atari-suit

He was a "consultant" on RCT3, which means approximately bugger all in reality. Usually that he gets paid to have his name associated with it to give it some credence.

I couldn't remember if his beef was with Frontier or Atari, but it was Atari for not paying him for a whole bunch of work going right back to Transport Tycoon.