What's new

Ranking the B&M Coaster Models

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
A lot of people seem to have similar opinions on which B&M models are better, but I think it will be interesting to see how everyone tryely lists them. I will class hypers and gigas seperate, as they generally focus on different elements and manoevers, and also so that the list has a total of 10, as that is a nicer number than 9. Anyway, here's my list:-

10. Family Invert
9. Standup
8. Sit-down
7. Floorless
6. Dive
5. Flyer
4. Invert
3. Wing
2. Hyper
1. Giga

How do your lists compare?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Using your list.. I'd put them like this

1. Giga <3
2. Hyper <3
3. Invert <3
4. Dive
5. Sit-down
6. Floorless
7. Standup
8. Flyer - 99% meh
9. Wing - Meh......
NA. Family Invert

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
  1. Giga
  2. Hyper
  3. Invert
  4. Sit-down (never ridden one but they look great)
  5. Flyer (see Sit-Down)
  6. Dive
  7. Wing
  8. Floorless
  9. Family Invert/Standup
The reason I put Family invert and Standup together is that I don't think I'll like standups very much (I'm 5'3"), and at least with family inverts you can go in expecting what it will be like.
Also, I put dive over the wing because personally, Griffon and Valravn are 2 great rides. I've ridden Gatekeeper, but it's nowhere near as thrilling as either of the dive coasters I've done.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
1. Giga
2. Wing
3. Hyper
4. Invert
5. Floorless
6. Sitdown
7. Dive
8. Flyer
9. Standup

Not ranking family inverts since there’s only one and I haven’t ridden it. The top 2 are pretty consistently good, while my favorite nontraditional seating coaster is an invert (Banshee) I ranked it below the other product of theirs that does this (wing) as I think wing coasters are on average better than most inverts. While I prefer the type of speed and airtime based ride a hyper offers to a wing, I gave wing the edge because I feel there are more weak hyper than weak wings.

Flyers and stand ups can both burn as of now but I’m trying to get more accustomed to flyers so they might go up in the next year or two.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Based on what I have ridden in my list...

1) Wing
2) Invert
3) Hyper
4) Sitdown
5) Dive
6) Flyer
7) Floorless*
8) Standup

Haven't done a giga or family invert. Floorless is so low just because of Rou. Not entirely sold on the hypers just yet, and really enjoy their wing riders for some reason. Ah well, I'm standing by this.

Hutch

Strata Poster
1. Hyper
2. Invert
3. Giga
4. Flyer
5. Sit Down
6. Wingrider
7. Dive Machine
8. Floorless
9. Standup

Hyper's are the most consistent for me, all of the ones I've ridden are in my Top 30 and some of them score fairly high. Inverts are also consistently good, haven't done a bad one and I rate Nemesis and Montu very high so that makes inverts second. Fury is the only giga I've done, not as good as some of the hypers but I think third is a fair spot.

Gets a little tricky to rank after that. I love Manta, and even quite enjoy the weaker flyers like Superman and Air because of the unique feeling, so that edges above the others. Kumba and Hulk are my only two sit-downs but they're both very good and just in my Top 30. Wingriders are cool too, but kinda inconsistent (I love Gatekeeper while Wild Eagle is one of the weaker B&M loopers imo. Restraints also factor in). Dive machines are really fun but after the drop they're not as interesting as the others. Floorless are decent but nothing special.

Standups can suck it.

Haven't done a family invert but I'm sure I'd happily put those above stand ups.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
  1. Giga
  2. Hyper
  3. Invert
  4. Sit-down (never ridden one but they look great)
  5. Flyer (see Sit-Down)
  6. Dive
  7. Wing
  8. Floorless
  9. Family Invert/Standup
The reason I put Family invert and Standup together is that I don't think I'll like standups very much (I'm 5'3"), and at least with family inverts you can go in expecting what it will be like.
Also, I put dive over the wing because personally, Griffon and Valravn are 2 great rides. I've ridden Gatekeeper, but it's nowhere near as thrilling as either of the dive coasters I've done.
Are you one of the smallest in your year at school? :)

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. Giga - Only basing off Fury, but I think it's the best B&M so
  2. Hyper - Consistently good rides though I've grown a bit tired of them, even the best ones
  3. Sit-down - Kumba and Dragon Khan rate very high while Wildfire and Hulk are both really quality
  4. Invert - Too many Batman clones, but I do love those standouts like Afterburn and Montu
  5. Flyer - Only done Manta and two Supermen (curse you SFMM!!!) so I don't feel like my palate is great, especially with Superman being a super turd
  6. Floorless - I still prefer the sit down model, but a big B&M looper is always good
  7. Wing - I think these are better than most people give them credit for
  8. Dive -
    ehh-girl-grunge-hipster-Favim.com-1869412.jpg
  9. Standup - More like stand down amirite *deletes account*

Sandman

Giga Poster
Can only really rate the types I've been on, which would go in this order:

1. Invert
2. Hyper
3. Floorless
4. Dive
5. Sit-down
6. Flyer
7. Stand-up

balrog

Mega Poster
I will class hypers and gigas seperate, as they generally focus on different elements and manoevers
If you are going this way, why not separate the floaty inverts from the intense inverts, and the american style 2 drops dive coasters from the ones in Europe that feature a more "standard" layout after the first drop. You can also separate the big wings from the smaller ones ...
You can probably make a top 20 of different B&M ride styles ...

From what I've ridden, even though it might not really be representative.
1 - Hyper (Shambi, Silver Star, Hollywood Dream)
2 - Wing (Fenix)
3 - Flyer (Flying D)
4 - Invert (Oz', Black Mamba)
5 - Dive (Baron)
6 - Sit down (Khan)

Clearly, hypers are up there because of Shambhala, not Hollywood Dream. The remainder was more difficult to sort out, and I bet that if my only wing was not Fenix, that model might have ended up way lower.

Last edited:

Peet

Giga Poster
1. Hyper
2. Invert
3. Sit-down
4. Floorless (trains are ugly compared to sit-down ones, and the lack of floor doesn't add much)
5. Dive
6. Flyer
7. Wing
8. Standup

Family Invert - not been on any.
Giga - not a real B&M coaster model, just a large Hyper, see B&M website or even rcdb. Also I've not been on any!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
1. Invert - Just about their most consistently good ride type
2. Flyer - Contains my favourite B&M
3. Wing - Good variety
4. Hyper - Unreasonable inconsistency
5. Floorless - Reasonable consistency
6. Dive - Getting a bit repetetive
7. Sit-down - Meh
8. Family Invert - Cool

N/A Standup
N/A Giga

Snoo

The Legend
If we go by highest ranked coaster for each ride type personally:

1. Invert
2. Giga
3. Wing
4. Hyper
5. Flyer
6. Floorless
7. Sitdown
8. Dive
9. Standup

If we go by quality of the model overall:

1. Giga
2. Wing
3. Sitdown
4. Invert
5. Flyer
6. Floorless
7. Hyper
8. Dive
9. Standup

I will note that in general, 1-7 have at least 1 coaster in my top 30 with Dive (Sheikra) and Stand Up (Riddler) being close if I were to expand further tbh.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 - Giga
2 - Hyper
3 - Invert
4 - Sit Down
5 - Wing
6 - Dive
7 - Floorless
8 - Flyer
9 - Stand up

Everything 5 down I can give or take, except the exceptional ones like Thunderbird/Oblivion.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I feel it most appropriate to rate, based on what B&M does best, rather than for the overall category; because yes, Gigas, in general, are just a great roller coaster category:

1. Invert - It's the most classic B&M staple, that no one else can touch.
  2. Hyper - B&M were the ones who truly pushed Hypers beyond a simple height exercise.
  3. Giga - They're just really, really good roller coasters.
  4. Flyer - Again, B&M is magnitudes better than any other flyer model.
  5. Wing - I've only had the chance to ride B&M Wing Coasters to date, all of which are great additions to their respective parks. Thunderbird is definitely something special.
  6. Floorless - Totally clutch, and now breathing new life into older stand-up models.
  7. Dive - They're considered overall mediocre and good enough, but hey; novel design?
  8. Sit-down - I mean, when was the last one of these that was built?
  9. Stand-up - I mean, when was the last one of these decided to not be converted?
  10. Family Invert - sure

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Dunno.
If I take my highest ranking coaster of each type, my list would look something like this:

1. Invert (because Nemesis)
2. Sit down (because Dragon Khan)
3. Hyper (because Behemoth)
4. Flyer (because Tatsu)
5. Giga (because Leviathan (by default))
6. Wing (because Thunderbird)
7. Floorless (because Dominator)
8. Dive (because Oblivion)
9. Stand up (because Riddler's Revenge)

But that doesn't feel right to me. Hypers should be lower I reckon. I mean, I love Behemoth but none of the others have come close. Flyers should also be lower cos they can be a bit unpleasant and hangy, but Tatsu is just so insanely good. Wing coasters should be higher up I feel, even though none of them have truly blown me away I just really like the concept and I enjoy them a lot. Same with dive coasters, I think they're fab, it's just that it's been 20 years since I was blown away by one, so I'm just kinda 'over' them.

So, my revised preference now looks something like this:

1. Invert.
2. Sit down.
3. Wing.
4. Giga.
5. Hyper.
6. Dive.
7. Flyer.
8. Floorless.
9. Stand up.

Yes, that looks better.
Let's face it though, apart from maybe stand up coasters, there's some awesome examples of all the different B&M models. The first 8 would all feature in my top 20... if I had a top 20 that is.