What's new

Rank the RMCs

davidm

Strata Poster
Been thinking about this a bit since I did the original 3 recently, and as Snoo says, its all good.

But if I had to rank them;

1. Outlaw Run
2. Iron Rattler
3. New Texas Giant

Really torn between 2 and 3 though - finally decided that the train on NTG is just too horrible to make up for so that swings it.

I seemed to have never updated this, so...

1. Wildfire
2. Lightning Rod
3. Outlaw Run
4. Iron Rattler
5. New Texas Giant
6. Twisted Colossus

(and don't get me wrong, still liked TC; when it duels properly its awesome)

Uncertain when I'll hit any more - probably next year for CP's I guess...

Ben

CF Legend
Update time yayyyy.

Storm Chaser
Outlaw Run
Goliath
Iron Rattler
Wildfire
Wicked Cyclone
New Texas Giant

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I can confirm. Storm Chaser is running absolutely batsh*t crazy right now. Lightning Rod still takes my cake tho ;)

1. Lightning Rod
2. Wicked Cyclone
3. Storm Chaser

I'll be getting on the two Texas RMCs in about a week and possibly TC in the fall, nice RMC year for me

Swoosh

Mega Poster
1. Outlaw Run
2. Lightning Rod
3. New Texas Giant
4. Storm Chaser
5. Goliath
6. Iron Rattler

I'll ride Twisted Collossus next month and I'll update my list accordingly.

Snoo

The Legend
I have not seen anyone rank it above the other RMCs you've been on, so that's interesting to hear. Thanks.
Agreed. While it is fantastic, I prefer the toppers to it. However, it still is a fantastic ride. Of course, given my Top 10, the only significant difference is 1-2 vs 3-10. Those top 2 stand out above all else but 3-10 are very close.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Agreed. While it is fantastic, I prefer the toppers to it. However, it still is a fantastic ride. Of course, given my Top 10, the only significant difference is 1-2 vs 3-10. Those top 2 stand out above all else but 3-10 are very close.
Well, you have Goliath at number one, Medusa in a middle position, and Iron Rattler last of nearly all RMCs -- those are all rare opinions, too, in my experience.

EDIT: Scratch that -- I must have been looking at an old list. I see that you have Lightning Rod at number one now, and that you haven't ridden Medusa?

Medusa is the one I'm most curious about, tbh, as the fewest people I hear from have ridden it, yet those who ride it often rank it extremely high.

(Btw, extremely envious of how many you've been on.)

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
Well, you have Goliath at number one, Medusa in a middle position, and Iron Rattler last of nearly all RMCs -- those are all rare opinions, too, in my experience.

(Btw, extremely envious of how many you've been on.)

Not quite. You may have me confused with another person who has a Lightning Rod signature.. they seem to be going around.. :D

Below are my rankings, bold with what I've been on. I thought about doing a west coast trip to round out the whole set but that fell through. I mean.. it still COULD happen.. but I'm lazy. :D

1. Lightning Rod
2. Goliath
3. Wildfire
4. Outlaw Run

5. Medusa
6. Storm Chaser
7. Wicked Cyclone

8. Joker
9. Iron Rattler
10. New Texas Giant

11. Twisted Colossus

To be fair, I've heard great things about Medusa. Given how it looks and how it may compare to Storm Chaser, it FEELS right. Not many have been on it TBH so it's tough to judge without being on it myself. Rattler and NTG just.. meh.. meh meh meh. Some folks who've been on Rattler recently adore it but they also haven't been on all of my favorite RMC's. I'm also a whore for wood compared to steel as topper is far superior IMO but the steel is getting better the more they build. I can't wait to see what they do at CP TBH.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Not quite. You may have me confused with another person who has a Lightning Rod signature.. they seem to be going around.. :D

Below are my rankings, bold with what I've been on. I thought about doing a west coast trip to round out the whole set but that fell through. I mean.. it still COULD happen.. but I'm lazy. :D

1. Lightning Rod
2. Goliath
3. Wildfire
4. Outlaw Run

5. Medusa
6. Storm Chaser
7. Wicked Cyclone

8. Joker
9. Iron Rattler
10. New Texas Giant

11. Twisted Colossus

To be fair, I've heard great things about Medusa. Given how it looks and how it may compare to Storm Chaser, it FEELS right. Not many have been on it TBH so it's tough to judge without being on it myself. Rattler and NTG just.. meh.. meh meh meh. Some folks who've been on Rattler recently adore it but they also haven't been on all of my favorite RMC's. I'm also a whore for wood compared to steel as topper is far superior IMO but the steel is getting better the more they build. I can't wait to see what they do at CP TBH.
Yes, I edited my above post but apparently not in time before you responded.

I've said before that I think this forum is unusually harsh on Twisted Colossus, so you might try that West Coast trip and see if it surprises you.

Medusa doesn't look any more spectacular in POVs than the other RMCs, but those who ride it tend to say it's the nonstop pacing that really makes it a standout, top-three-RMC ride.

Snoo

The Legend
Yes, I edited my above post but apparently not in time before you responded.

I've said before that I think this forum is unusually harsh on Twisted Colossus, so you might try that West Coast trip and see if it surprises you.

Medusa doesn't look any more spectacular in POVs than the other RMCs, but those who ride it tend to say it's the nonstop pacing that really makes it a standout, top-three-RMC ride.

RMC's suffer enormously if the pacing is interrupted IMO. That's where IR and NTG fall so far in my rankings as the pacing takes a hit in the latter half. Same for Wicked Cyclone in my opinion. Thats my biggest fear for the new CP ride is that it's TOO long and kills the insanity of the beginning. TC LOOKS as to follow that mold however as you noted, I haven't been on it. It may surprise me or it may be exactly as I thought. I'd like to see.

I do have some friends who will be on Joker in a few weeks so we shall see how they feel as they've been with me on most of the RMC's I've been on.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
RMC's suffer enormously if the pacing is interrupted IMO. That's where IR and NTG fall so far in my rankings as the pacing takes a hit in the latter half. Same for Wicked Cyclone in my opinion. Thats my biggest fear for the new CP ride is that it's TOO long and kills the insanity of the beginning. TC LOOKS as to follow that mold however as you noted, I haven't been on it. It may surprise me or it may be exactly as I thought. I'd like to see.

I do have some friends who will be on Joker in a few weeks so we shall see how they feel as they've been with me on most of the RMC's I've been on.
Ah, if pacing interruptions are a big deal for you, then I won't hold out hopes for you with TC. I've heard many on here complain that the second lift hill kills the TC ride for them. I can understand that, but for me it's part of what makes the ride an extraordinary duelling coaster, as it announces that you are now going on coaster number two, which is just as long as number one and maybe even more amazing in its elements. It's funny as I hate MCBRs in general, but that second lift hill I find to be part of what makes TC extraordinary.

The Joker in my experience is like Wicked Cyclone -- those are the two RMCs with the most wildly divergent enthusiast reception, some ranking them among the very best and some among the very worst.

Of course, the "worst" RMC is still an awesome ride!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Glad to see Storm Chaser is so well received by others too. It has easily been my favorite Iron Horse thus far. I still enjoy Outlaw Run more; but the pacing on Storm Chaser is quite possibly one of the best in the business.

Swoosh

Mega Poster
Glad to see Storm Chaser is so well received by others too. It has easily been my favorite Iron Horse thus far. I still enjoy Outlaw Run more; but the pacing on Storm Chaser is quite possibly one of the best in the business.

That's interesting as I feel the opposite. After the roll I feel like it just peters out and meanders back to the station. It's like they ran out of steam and ideas. That last helix is just like "ok"

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
That's interesting as I feel the opposite. After the roll I feel like it just peters out and meanders back to the station. It's like they ran out of steam and ideas. That last helix is just like "ok"
Last helix is slow, but the airtime hills and overbanked turns, especially on the first half? Very forceful.

Snoo

The Legend
Last helix is slow, but the airtime hills and overbanked turns, especially on the first half? Very forceful.
I'm with Hyde on this one. While that last helix does meander a bit, the entirety of the rest of the ride keeps hitting over and over and over.

Swoosh

Mega Poster

Like I said, "up until the roll" - that would mean the first half. Oh did you think I meant the roll into the first drop? No, I meant the one in the middle of the ride.