What's new

Rank the Mack Launch coasters

Peet

Giga Poster
I reckon it's time for this list topic. I have done 6 Mack Launch coasters, the ranking is actually pretty easy:
1. Helix - Liseberg (obviously)
2. Icon - BPB
3. Blue Fire - Europa Park (better theming than its clones below, plus that interaction with Wodan)
4. Velociraptor - IMG WOA (BF clone)
5. Velikolukskiy Myasokombinat - Wonder Island (BF clone, zero theming)
6. Capitol Bullet Train - Motiongate (the vertical spike is good, the rest is a bit tame)

Pear

Strata Poster
I've only been on Blue Fire and Star Trek. I found Blue Fire to be pretty fun although not very amazing besides the final roll.

Star Trek is crap though. Weak launches and slow layout make for a pretty boring ride experience, though the spike is quite neat.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Star Trek is crap though. Weak launches and slow layout make for a pretty boring ride experience, though the spike is quite neat.

I found the spike of Star Trek the most 'meh' part of the ride tbh; just did nothing for me. But I enjoyed the rest of the layout, the hangtime is fab!

I'm counting Pulsar to boost my pitifully low number of Mack launches, plus I have a massive soft spot for it:

Helix
Pulsar
Star Trek

Be interesting to see where Icon goes in a couple of months time!

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
For me that would be kinda tough, as Mack Rides kind of don't give a **** and their big thing is "family-thrill-coasters" (and yes, I'd even count Helix into that). I could see myself riding 20 different Mack Launch Coasters and be like "yeah, I'd rank all of them 3rd" :D

Peet

Giga Poster
their big thing is "family-thrill-coasters" (and yes, I'd even count Helix into that).
The World's First 7-inversion family coaster?! I'm afraid you have lost me there! I agree they don't have powerful launches or extreme g-forces, but for overall thrill/excitement they are most definitely in the same league as any other extreme thrill coaster models you care to name. Especially Helix.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
They are trying to build exciting coasters without going too extreme, I think reliability and safety are more important for them than breaking records or hitting all limits.
Intamin showed what can happen when you go too crazy, see Intimidator 305 and Maverick.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Helix - Excellent coaster. If I did top tens and s**t, it would probably be in there.

2. Velociraptor - I like the Blue Fire clones. There's nothing between them really, so no real reason this should be higher than:

3. Blue Fire - Really liked it when it was the first Mack launch I'd done, and, having done a couple of clones, the model still holds its own.

4. Battle of Blue Fire - only below the other two thanks to being in a s**thole park with crap operations.

5. Star Trek - Fab little coaster for its size. Nice pops of airtime at the back.

6. Capitol Bullet Train - disappointing. Should have been as good as Star Trek since they're almost the same thing, but I didn't find it as fun.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
1 - Helix. Icon is good, really good in fact, and I had a lot of fun riding it, but Helix has loads of floaty inversions, some excellent moments of sustained ejector, better overall pacing, and a really fab setting. My gut says it's closer than it should be (although I suspect if I'd ridden Helix more recently I'd be singing a different tune here), but when I think rationally about it, Helix is superior on so many levels.

2 - Icon. It's good solid fun, with loads of fun pops of air. It somehow manages to be a lot more fun than it has any right to be.

3 - Star Trek: Operation Enterprise. Again, lots of fun, a pop of air or two, and just a good laugh all around. Despite a lack of speed, it manages to avoid being dull.

4 - Blue Fire. It's the original, it tries to cram a lot into a decent length layout, has phenomenal throughput, and is a good, solid ride for the whole family. Unfortunately, it's the only Mack launcher to date that's left me a bit underwhelmed. It just seemed a bit forceless for my liking (final inversion aside), which is something that Mack have overcome with successor rides. It's by no means bad, it's just a bit bland.

Lofty

CF Legend
1) Helix.
Great ride, especially at night.

2) Icon
Again, great ride, just lower due to setting and impact not being as strong.

3) blue fire Mega Coaster.
Fun? Nothing to write home about.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I think this may be controversial, but:

1 - Velociraptor / blue fire - Velociraptor is a coaster which I could ride again and again, I think I may have slightly prefered it to blue fire - but it may just be my mind playing tricks.

2 - Helix - A coaster with an epic layout, but I always end up feeling a litytle queezy after riding - not sure why, cos it has good pacing and doesn't seem THAT intense..

3 - Icon - a good punchy little ride, but again makes me a little queasy

4 - Star trek blah - eed a reride really.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
1: Helix - fab coaster! One of the best coasters to ride at night!
2: Blue Fire - Pretty fun! Not quite the same beast as Helix
3: Star Trek - A solid fun ride

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
1. Helix - Obviously
2. Icon
3. Blue Fire - On-board music over the below
4. Velociraptor - Theming over the below
5. Battle of Blue Fire
6. Capitol Bullet Train
7. Star Trek: Operation Enterprise

All brilliant. Can't go wrong with this ride type.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Love these coasters, always emphasise the fun factor. One is clearly top dog though...

1. Helix - The standout. The best in pretty much every way I’d say.
2. Blue Fire - A fun, floaty and beautifully flowing layout.
3. Icon (very close to BF) - Very substantial and better forces than expected.
4. Star Trek: Operation Enterprise - The spike is rather fun and the layout is pretty decent.
5. Manta - Clearly caters to a lower-thrill market than the rest, but it’s a top family coaster!