What's new

Rank the Gerstlauer Coasters with OTSRs + Dare Devil Dive, Iron Shark clones & Hydrus, minus Smiler

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Why not just throw infinity coasters in as well? They're not so different either.
The trains make them significantly different enough to me. I wouldn't particularly mind if they were included, it's only gonna end with Kärnan on top.

Besides that it was my choice for the topic, why can't I set some guidance?
No one batted an eyelid at the notion of Intamins suddenly appearing in the Rank the B&M Wing topic in this subforum.

They're sold as totally different products, with their own sections on Gerstlauer's own site.
Even if they are sold as different, I listed the reasons I included them, the simlarities they share and I had a genuine interest in the comparison.
I just don't understand this aversion to comparing
lynet-5.jpg

with
BELANTIS_HURACAN_%283%29.jpg

The whole selling point is the beyond-vertical drop.
Just another interesting point for discussion really.
Is it the beyond vertical drop that makes the Eurofighters worse?
Perhaps inherently with the design of the car that can perform that particular manouevre, it makes them ride worse.
But then Lynet proves they can ride butter smooth.
More often than not it's the rest of the layout that lets them down.

Hutch

Strata Poster
The way Gerstlauer groups/advertises their rides always confused me. i.e. You got something like Smiler and Monster, both classified as infinities, but Monster has more similarities to a typical Eurofighter than to Smiler (train length, vertical lift hill/beyond vertical drop, etc).

If it were up to me, I'd put Monster and that new Knott's coaster along with the Eurofighters, and maybe put Anubis and Lynet with the Infinities.

I know it's not a huge deal but that always kind of bothered me!

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
This is a bit like choosing cats for an Olympic swimming team but:
1: Takabisha - It's quite fab
2: Speed
3: Saw
4: Rage
5: Falcon

After Takabisha they are all inter changeable!

Ben

CF Legend
Stuff about why Anubis is a Eurofighter even though it isn't

But you can't include those two and not Monster, or Karacho, or Junker...

They're 100% not Eurofighters, the entire selling point of those is the beyond vertical drop. Do they have that? No. So they're not Eurofighters.

It's like having a topic for your favourite Dive Machine and answering 'Kraken'.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Totally missed my point again. If you don't want to even listen to what I'm saying at least look at the nice pictures.
I never claimed they were Eurofighters, just asked for them to be included out of interest for easy comparison.
Include Monster and Karacho if you like, doesn't bother me at all. Just different trains. Of course I'm open to suggestions for inclusion to the topic, that's far better than just ignoring my request.
Kraken and dive machine comment: different trains. Also this happened in reverse with floorless dives being included in the floorless topic. No one gave a f*ck then.
Then I'll reiterate the comment about no one giving a f*ck about intamins being included in the b&m wing topic, so that's how unnecessary this fuss is.
Not that you're reading any of it.

Smithy

Strata Poster
What an utterly needless 'argument'.

Rage - Most enjoyable of the lot really. Compact, forceful.
Speed - Has the best moment of them all with that hill but other than that it's not the best.
Saw - ****ing dire, painful.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products/roller-coasters/

Personally, based on manufacturer classification (which is how I normally make decisions like this), according to Gertlauer's website...

Anubis and Lynet are launch coasters. They are designed to be single car coasters driven by a magnetic launch system.

Smiler, Monster, Hangtime, Karnan, and Karacho are Infinity coasters. This is a sort of "Swiss Army" ride system (for lack of a better term) that's designed to be used for numerous different types of layouts and compatible with different types of hardware. Hangtime, Monster, and maybe Karnan do all share the Eurofighter's iconic vertical lift and beyond vertical drop, yes, but they aren't "true" Eurofighters, just like Karacho isn't a "true" Gerst branded launch coaster.

Mystery Mine, Saw, Fluch Von Novgorod, Falken, and all those coasters we know and love are Eurofighters. To me, this distinction comes from the use of a train that was designed to handle a vertical lift and beyond vertical drop. While Infinities have different configurations and some of them are able to handle it, to me a true Eurofighter has to use one of the cars they designed specifically for that type of layout. So while the typical "2 rows of 4 on a single car that's articulated in between" that we've come to be familiar with on Mystery Mine and others count, Dare Devil Dive's 3 rows of two also count because it was designed to do the same thing, just a later generation of the product (and, to my knowledge, this is the only second generation Eurofighter with these cars, if I'm correct).

Just how I see this but as always, I count what I want, you can count what you want, wouldn't be offended in the slightest if anyone counted a Larson Loop as a Eurofighter. :p

Anyway...

Mystery Mine- This is a really close one, but I think Mine edges this one out simply for a smoother ride and the theming. It used to be awful but last time I rode it it was handling those tight turns beautifully (well, as beautifully as you can handle such snappy maneuvers) and a ride that I usually didn't care for was fun. The theme they picked is super cool too, love seeing parks actually do something original when they pick a theme to put a darker twist on.
Spongebob- This is pretty close between the two I've been on, but this little coaster has a solid layout in a pretty awesome location. A bit rough around the edges, but climbing up to that ceiling and then plummeting down like that is awesome. Also like that it's themed to Spongebob. Sadly it's just too rough to be better than Mystery Mine.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Mystery Mine - the theming raises it above the rest plus it properly messes you around by having the second drop when you think it's all done. It also wins because it does the best bit twice.

Takabisha - the best technically on the list but zero theming and mostly it's a bit bland.

Saw - great indoor drop (probably by chance as all the others of these I've done haven't been as good). Vibrating brain in skull for the rest.

Falcon - it's in a forest. I rode it during torrential rain so it's memorable.

Rage - it's short. Probably the smoothest one I've done. Vile colour.

Iron Shark - it's on a pier I guess.

Speed - no theme and you feel every join of the track.

Typhoon - painful.

Vild-Svinet - painful and it felt somehow unsafe (maybe just because it's tiny).

Let's be honest, they are all turd. Anubis and Karacho are fab though and Junker and Fluch and Lynet look fab too, although I haven't ridden them. Smiler has vibration issues but is OK. I think the true Eurofighters are really just a filler ride and rely too much on the gimmick of the vertical drop.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Mystery Mine - Really like this, my fave Gerst by quite a bit
...large gap
Saw - indoor section and decent airtime hill aside it would be a lot lower
Rage - not very offensive, not very interesting
Speed - rattly piece of poo
Spongebob - too jolty, rattly and bleh. No airtime either which saves many a gerst, this was proper crap.

Removed Anubis from the list as it's not a Euro really.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Fluch von Novgorod swooped into the top spot this weekend based on the launch, the wonderful pitch black section, extensive theming on-ride, and an incredible station and queue. That gives me:

Fluch von Novgorod
Mystery Mine
Takabisha
Saw
Falcon
Rage
Iron Shark
Speed
Typhoon
Vild Svinet

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
It's another Iron Shark, but I've added it just for you.

Also just booked my flight to Armenia, Colombia. Confusing name.

Last edited:

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Anubis - Amazing launch, great top hat and just a great coaster. Fizzles out towards the end sadly.

Lynet - Fab little coaster but it's a tad weaker than Anubis in every aspect and the restraints bothered me a bit more, especially during every airtime moment.

Saw - Mostly forgettable, but it has a few fab bits, like the indoor drop.

Falcon - It's not too bad. I like the forest-y setting, but it's short and nothing remarkable

Typhoon - Absolute sh*te. Rough, crap layout and it looks gross.

These Gersts are great if they have a launch, otherwise meh.