What's new

Railing Across Europe

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Great report Jayjay! I'm glad you enjoyed Phantasialand this time around, although it was a great night on the live haha!

jayjay

Giga Poster
Day 17/18 "The Final Push" (Paris & Jardin d'Acclimatations)

Just one final push to finish the trip off. At this point, homesickness and exhaustion was beginning to set in, but I soldiered on regardless. There were a couple of hours to kill before my train to Paris, so went for an aimless wander around Cologne.

TbiZHsj.jpg

Let's get that generic shot out of the way

MyO09lS.jpg

Apparently everywhere vaguely near Paris needs a bridge where you put your annoying padlocks

RZod1eJ.jpg

Hey again

It turns out there's not a huge amount of things to see in Cologne. It's a shame but getting bombed out in the war will do that. At least the cathedral was left alone, which, after leaving it for a week or two, is safely still there. There is a building with an ice cream on it though.

bMlFglP.jpg

Yep, that's a building with ice cream on it

In addition, AfD was in town, Germany's far right political party. Police with guns seemed to be stacked on half the corners ready for any protests. Back to Cologne Central, for a Thalys service to Paris.

sGCZ81z.jpg

Le train à Paris

Not wild about these trains. Though they are more of the super-fast kind, they have a little bit of a cramped feeling to them. I was now in France.

ApwEzsE.jpg

France is guarded by the red winged bear

Dropping things in my hotel, plans became aimless again, so I just set off to walk around and look at things because that's what I do in cities apparently. Soon enough found a couple of things worth looking at.

AZ0pakf.jpg

No, I didn't buy tickets

yGRpfGA.jpg

There was some election going on at the time. And a play about Jesus

awYpxfe.jpg

There was a guy with a guitar singing to the crowd too

I pondered taking some photos in the Sacré Cœur for a second but there seemed to be a large number of people there for its intended purpose, so I left quietly. Trust me, it's gorgeous inside though.

ywRkD0p.jpg

Here's where you come for some great views, except the Eiffel Tower, which you can't see from here

I gave myself a lazy morning in, only going back to Gare du Nord to drop my heavy bag off. Through the Métro to Les Sablons, the local station for Jardin d'Acclimatations. I grabbed some lunch from a nearby market and wandered in.

XSjNvdV.jpg

Always happy with driverless trains

gYjffb9.jpg

Le Jardin is more of a city park with a scattered selection of attractions: fairground rides, zoo enclosures and playgrounds. The two coasters are hardly worth talking about (there are three coasters but one was SBNO). There's a Wild Mouse that left no impression on me at all, and a mine-train kind of thing. Neither particularly exciting.

N5r95pM.jpg

FQejdYl.jpg

It's the sort of place that's more of a pleasant place to be more than anything. Though there's a hint of sad animals with some smaller enclosures. A bizarre situation unfolded when I realised there was a peacock inside an enclosure, being watched by one outside.

PX3Asn8.jpg

I don't think this is how zoos are supposed to work

Et4arny.jpg

Next to the park is the impressive Louis Vuitton Design Museum. I'm not a big fan of fashion (as anybody with eyes would be able to tell), but I like extravagant modern architecture.

vgvRJYn.jpg

NZdqhuW.jpg

Pacing round, more animals and scenery.

aTO00vi.jpg

YOs4dRW.jpg

Hurr, I'm a durr

N6bVuln.jpg

Creds I can't have - spite!

9pAjGVl.jpg

Every European city park needs Japanese gardens

ZGHBvpJ.jpg

1YxcPln.jpg

Time to leave

Scurrying away, more time to wander and look at things. Without much inspiration (or phone battery), I opted for the "look at touristy things" approach. One thing I do like is massive things (fnar) - such as one of the massive things at the end of the road upon which Jardin lies.

8snKCvx.jpg

And let's not forget the other large thing in Paris.

F8Kr0m4.jpg

I've been once before but I still can't get over how absolutely huge it is in person

JEkh55l.jpg

Nd1YfA6.jpg

Rabbits on the side just... chilling

Mostly this was just killing time, so back to Gare du Nord I went, checking in and saying goodbye to the continent. It's been a journey and I've got a load of stuff on my list of things to try and revisit in the future. Thanks to everyone for reading, and anybody that gave me tips and advice for the trip.

Last edited:

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
This has been a joy to read. It looks an amazing trip and a bonus being all done by train. Wish I could have come along for the ride. Maybe next time.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
What a trip! So many creds, trains and culture. Brilliant.

Thanks for taking the time to type it all up, I've enjoyed reading it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The report was very fun to read. Really enjoyed it!
With the Wodan queue, did the single rider queue allow you to see a lot of the "famous Wodan queue line"?

TilenB

Strata Poster
You don't get to see any of the interesting bits. Fortunately decided to go through the main queue on day 2. Good call
Was the whole queue open (e.g. you exited the indoor part right before the stairs that lead to the station)?